1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Being satirical has to stop in NoFap Off-topic

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by modern milarepa, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Lol, dude this is the reality of internet places. Or a lot of things an average forum user (on any kind of forum) wants to say, have already been said. I doubt you yourself go through the entire forum before posting whatever thread you want to post, just to make sure nobody else has posted it before. (Not talking about the utterly valueless low quality bait threads that come up again and again. They are a different story altogether.)

-J29

2. BugsBunny555

BugsBunny555 Fapstronaut

Nothing New Under the Sun, Ecclesiastes 1:9

SickSicko and J29 like this.
  3. So glad to see this thread didn't devolve into mud slinging and pillow fights. Very interesting read. You all gents did a great job with your responses in here. :)

-J29

4. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I was just given a warning for jokingly calling Somnabul (is that how you spell that?) from the Remember the Fallen thread a "libtard" in an obviously jokey context. A word I have seen people use countless times before and not get punished for, but as soon as I use it, I'm moderated.

@modern milarepa, I know this is only an internet forum but I've been here for 4 fucking years and in the end I am certain I'm going to be perma-banned because of some stupid bullshit, just like countless others have before me. It's a complete shitload of fuck and if I can make it less infuriating by making fun of the absurdity, then I will. For me, this is what all this jokey, sarcastic behaviour is about, as I'm sure it is for many others. If this site is going to devolve into a complete cesspit of sanitised, pre-approved perspectives and faux-positivity, with no room allowed for people to be off-colour or provocative in any meaningful capacity, then you can be sure as shit I'm going to go down kicking and screaming like the raging autismo that I am.

5. modern milarepa

modern milarepa Fapstronaut

Bro we know this is like 60% of what you talk on your posts at this point.

6. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Only slightly true. I post in the writing thread the most by far, but I see your point.

It's still a complete load of bullshit and I don't care who I'm annoying by talking about it constantly. I truly, truly do not. If you want me to stop talking about it on this thread I will out of nothing but respect for you, but what I'm saying is nonetheless relevant to the point of the thread as a whole, as well as being relevant to what we were talking about the other day.

7. modern milarepa

modern milarepa Fapstronaut

Nah bro, actually I thought you wrote that on the spiritual thread I just made. I thought it was nuts haha.

But now I see is in the satirical thread. My bad.

8. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I haven't had the chance to properly look at that. I will get to it later today when I can.

9. Please do make sure to report every instance you see of this word being used, even in a "jokey" context. It will be moderated as well.

10. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

My concern Cirilla, is that even if I did report something, nothing would be done about it anyway. This has always been my experience. Most things that people have said to me I shrug off, I'm not easily offended, but on at least one occasion I reported a guy who admitted he was trying to antagonise me across threads and nothing got done. I've had people tell me I should kill myself because I was lightly critical of someone else and I don't think anything was done about that either. All of these instances happened a while ago, so they are basically cold cases, but hopefully you see where I am coming from. Meanwhile I jokingly insult someone and I get a warning? I mean what? Like yeah OK I'm not saying what I said isnt technically an insult, but again, hopefully you can see why this frustrates me so much.

I really think at this point, and I'm being serious when I say this, the rules need to be rewritten so they seem less grey. Maybe I'm an idiot but I genuinely struggle with understanding what people (not just me, this isnt just about me) are actually being punished for sometimes because the rules are so nebulous they can apply to everything and nothing at once. They also don't seem to leave a lot of room for leeway for variations in severity or intent, causing a situation where a user making a simple error is moderated many times quickly and then muted before they can even change anything even if they did want to, with the same harshness as someone who is actively trolling or being openly and obviously hateful.

I've spoken to other users about this and they agree your method of moderation seems the easiest to grasp in this regard, you step in, comment asking people to stay on topic or to stop arguing, and then generally, people do. If they dont, you then step in with warnings and further action. This first step I feel is crucial because it allows the user in question to get their act together before anything permanent, like warnings or suspensions, are given. For example, on a recent thread I started posting pictures of DSP, and you asked me to stay on topic. I immediately stopped, and the issue was resolved before it became one. I appreciate with so many people to moderate on a site such as this, it may be hard to apply this tactic every time. But surely it can at least be attempted. I feel like the mods as a whole have a reputation for being overly trigger happy at times and applying this tactic may help in that perception. I know for a fact if someone had stepped in and politely asked me to stop going off topic in the threads I was warned for, or otherwise popped their head in the door to ask me questions before acting, I would have been happy to cooperate. I also feel like a lot more lenience needs to be given to users who are clearly joking or using off-colour humour, but that is a whole other issue.

gordie likes this.
  11. Nan0nymous

Nan0nymous Fapstronaut

Man, I left 4chan and "arguing/shitposting with strangers online" some time ago and just focused on my life. It definitely improved my mental state, now if I really wanna talk/discuss/shitpost - I do it irl about any topic I want and using any words I want (joos,n-words, libtards, etc. IDGAF).
    I mention 4chan because it's basically a father of all internet satire and memes. I found a lot of good things there but it's important to not get too used to the way you interact there cause people will view you very differently. I got the truth (Uncle Ted is now my friend) that I needed there and just went my own way. I still lurk on some boards but I never post anything.

12. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

My issue here I feel is intent. I do not doubt that some users are deliberately being antagonistic to others in a way that goes beyond simple disagreement/satire/sarcasm/whatever. But I really think most are not, and they get caught in the crossfire anyway.

I understand it's not easy, maybe almost impossible, to make a judgement call based in user intent when you cant know for sure what the intent was. But it doesnt stop the situation from being annoying. I value this site and I genuinely enjoy talking to others on it, and I'm sure many feel the same. To see myself or those people go because they said something silly, but without malice, would be a massive shame. All I can really say to people is the same things multiple people have said to me, to lay low and avoid even entering threads that might cause an issue, even if you have no intent of actually causing an issue.