1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Bodkins & Bruits

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Happy Gnome, Nov 2, 2015.

1. [​IMG]

The single life can be lonely, even if you have chosen it. There is something about having someone with you all the time to share your life with that is comforting. It takes the burden off your shoulders a bit: your life is no longer completely your own. Someone else has the responsibility for the living of it.

But singleness also has many benefits that those who find themselves to be involuntarily single do not always recognize. A single person does not have to consult another person on how to live their life. If they want to hitchhike to Tibet, they can! If they want to go live in the woods and become an ascetic sage, they can! There is a freedom in the state of being single that is lost when you are in a relationship. It's human nature. Relationships are naturally constant compromises. That can be fun in its own way (I'm not in anyway suggesting that being single is better than being in a relationship). But for pure, unadulterated freedom, nothing comes close to being single.

This thread is just a pleasant place to share the joys, and sorrows, of the single life. A place to let go, to be yourself, to have a purely virtual pint; to laugh, to cry, to commiserate, to confide. We are a band of brothers and sisters here; sharing our loneliness, our happiness, our frustration, our griefs, our dreams.

What do you love the most about being single?
    What do you hate the most about being single?

Deleted Account and Aexander like this.
  2. IGY

IGY Guest

Bodkins & Bruits? :confused:

3. Archaic English words for "Daggers and Rumors." :D

4. Qwertyful

Qwertyful Fapstronaut

What do I like the most about being single? Well I was able to build a fancy computer and deck out my car without having my ears get torn off my head. That's always nice. Guess the freedom of being able to do what you want unhindered is not something to dismiss.

But at the same time Having no one to share life with can be really hard on the mind. At the end of the day I always find myself looking for someone to interact with and they just aren't there. Maybe that's one reason why I'm on the computer a lot. It's still not the same as interacting in real life though. A lot of people who meet online still want to meet in real life. There's a deeper connection in real life.

That title had me confused too. Thought "Bruits" was really "Brute Fruit" at first.

5. Haha, sorry. It is supposed to be the name for a hypothetical pub where people go to share their woes.

Yeah, there is something to be said for sharing your dreams, your hobbies and interests with someone else. Have the joy of a particular activity comes from getting to share it with somone else. But when you are single, the activity itself must contain all the enjoyment.

On the other hand, being single is the perfect place to be for personal development, whether that be working out, meditating, developing a skill, etc. You have nobody to consult but yourself. You do not have to make time for others. You make your own time. You make your own life, your own future. I think that's what I like best about being single. The freedom to explore myself, to push my boundaries, to see what is beyond the horizon. You never have to listen to everybody around you doubting you. The only person who may doubt is yourself.