1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Bodyweight exercises

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by My Best self, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Anybody do them instead of weights or with I’m really thinking of doing it

need4realchg and staticboy like this.
  2. Dat95

Dat95 Fapstronaut

Do it! It’s free, anywhere anytime.

3. Yeah I’m planning on it though I go to a gym and have weights this just seems more interesting to me using your own body to build strength

4. Grey is colourless

Grey is colourless Fapstronaut

Oh, is that so?

Check out some of Red Delta Projects videos. Why do weights work? If you didn't tense there would be no workout. Bodyweight...calisthenics are meant to be done isometrically. CONTRACT. Of the goals of improving your body is to improve your mind-muscle connection! Weights don't really do that

My Best self likes this.
  5. staticboy

staticboy Fapstronaut

Yes, I do bodyweight exercise. I go to the gym 6 days a week. My rough plan goes like this:
    • MONDAY: Cardio & HIIT
    • TUESDAY: Weights: ARMS & SHOULDERS
    • WEDNESDAY: Cardio & HIIT
    • THURSDAY: Weights: BACK & CORE
    • FRIDAY: Cardio & HIIT
    • SATURDAY: Rest Day
    • SUNDAY: Weights: LEGS
    The "Cardio & HIIT" days usually start with 15-20 minutes of cardio machines such as rowing, elliptical, bike, etc. The rest of session is then the "HIIT" which is mostly bodyweight. I like to keep it fairly fast and try to use my whole body in combo exercises that involve the whole body. This is where I try to develop coordination, speed and explosive power.

The "Weight" days are where I do classic lifting exercises with as much weight as possible using the bar, dumbbells, kettlebells, etc., so the usual suspects like bench press, deadlift, bent over rows, incline press, squats. These days are developing muscle and strength.

And I also do 100 Double Crunches every session in 10 sets of 10 reps with a 10 second rest between each. I started with 8 sets of 8 reps with a 60 second rest, but over the course of 2 months have built up to my current "10 x 10 x 10" workout!

I regularly chuck in sessions of the 7 Minute Workout. This is a set of 12 bodyweight exercises that are done for 30 seconds each with a 10 second rest between to get ready for the next exercise. I use the Wahoo app on my iPhone for timing and prompts, which pairs with their "TICKR X" heart-rate strap, but you don't have to use it. The workout is great for a quick warm up at the start, or good for a HIIT workout if you repeat it 3 to 5 times. The idea is to do as many reps as possible of each exercise (except the holds for Wall Sit and Planks). After 1 set you should have broken a light sweat. After 3 you should be pouring. After 5 you should be close to death :D The only piece of "equipment" you need is a box for the Tricep Dips and Step-Ups, but you can use a sturdy chair if you're at home.

https://uk.wahoofitness.com/fitness-apps/7-minute-workout

6. Nick:3

Nick:3 Fapstronaut

yeah, sometimes I do calesthenics (body weight exercises) other times I do weights.
    Some calesthenics exercises that I enjoy are:
    -Handstand push ups
    -Pseudo planche push ups
    -1 legged squats (whilst holding on to a pole)
    -Archer pull ups

staticboy likes this.
  7. staticboy

staticboy Fapstronaut

Woah! Those are some pretty advanced moves! Nice one. I've been after unassisted Pistol Squats (one legged squats) for a year or so. I run everyday so my legs are in pretty good shape (got calves to die for!) but still can't get them 100%. I've mainly nailed a fully controlled descent, but my ascent is still very wobbly and only the first 1 or 2 tries are anywhere near close, so still hold on to a TRX strap for balance and bit of assistance.

Nick:3 likes this.
  8. nsb2019

nsb2019 Fapstronaut

I lift weights 3 times a week and do pushups and pullups at least every other day. I do dips on chest day, once a week. This routine is easy to keep up with because you have 7 days out the week where you can get in your 3 days of lifting. If youre dont feel like lifting one day, dont. Do some calesthenics or take a day off.

9. I mix both weightlifting (for my chest and delts mostly and hand handstand push ups. I find it totally shapes my body because it’s multiple muscles working out.

10. High volume calisthenics are amazing! (Building up sensibly to it, of course!)