1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

BOOK LOVERS CLUB

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Future role model, Apr 6, 2018.

How often do you read books?

1. All the time

62 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. Often

110 vote(s)
    51.4%
  3. Rarely

37 vote(s)
    17.3%
  4. I don't read at all

5 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Thanks! I've started reading Meditations first. I'll read 1984 after I finish it. :)

Contentful T and Moon Shot like this.
  2. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

What I loved most about 1984 was in the beginning, when the protagonist writes into his diary for the first time. I can barely describe it with proper words. Skillfully done by Orwell.

3. ukbritishbloke

ukbritishbloke Fapstronaut

Can we collect some recommendations for books specifically for young men to have something to do other than look a their phone? I think reading may be a neglected part of the reboot mix for some young guys.

What I'm looking for is fiction that's:
    • seriously gripping, can't-put-it-down stuff
    • on young, stereotypically masculine themes like war, crime, spying, sci-fi, sport, action, adventure ... all that stuff
    • the thicker the better
    • the more sequels or other similar books by the same author, the better
    • easily available
    The sort of thing a young guy could prefer picking up to relapsing, in other words.

Contentful T likes this.
  4. "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" by Dan Millman will be my recommendation, not only for young guys but for everybody.

5. ukbritishbloke

ukbritishbloke Fapstronaut

Is it fiction? I'm asking about fiction only.

Future role model likes this.
  6. The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead

And yes it is fiction.

7. It's half fiction half autobigraphy. It's a book about high school gymnast who's trying to become best and do the impossible move. It teaches you about being present.

8. O V E R C O M E R

O V E R C O M E R Fapstronaut

T
    The Bible is greatest book you'll ever read. For it is not just a book but God's Word to humanity. The words that are written within have the power to change your life and give you eternal life. If ever you want answers to anything, the Bible is the only book in this world that can answer those questions. Up till this day the Bible is the best selling book world wide. And that my friend is a fact. Read it, you'll never regret it. God Bless!

9. So I decided to start reading more, and I made myself a goal to read at least one book this month. So far I've read 3, and I'll probably be finishing another one by the end of the month. Lol so yeah, I guess I like reading more than I thought....

Heres what I've read this month:

The Woman in Cabin 10
    I really enjoyed this one. I haven't really read any murder mystery novels, so I dont have anything to compare to, but I feel like Ruth Ware writes suspense really really well. I definitely felt my heart racing a number of times throughout this book. I also enjoy how she put in some mixed media and sort of future flash forwards/separating the book into 7 (I think?) different parts. The mixed media was a clever way to tell more of the story outside of what the protagonist knew, even though the book was almost entirely written in first person.

The Girl on the Train
    I really enjoyed this movie a lot, and I had been wanting to read the book ever since, but I never got around to it until now. But I loved it! Really interesting and a lot of psychological analyzing of the characters. Also interesting to have such a powerful and entertaining book with such little dialogue. And the changes in time and perspective between chapters really enhanced the mystery of it all. Also, thankfully, it had been long enough since I had seen the movie, and it's a complex enough story, that I didnt really remember what happened. I remembered a few big moments, but not the big "whodunit" reveal. So that was fun to be surprised by again. I wish I would have read the book first, especially in regards to one very emotional scene that I totally remembered from the film, so I couldn't really tell how reading that scene would have made me feel if I didnt already know it was coming. But oh well. It was still great.

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour
    After two heavy suspenseful dramas, I was definitely in the mood for something light and fluffy. This book was perfect for that. It's a YA romance about a girl who has to go on a road trip with this guy she barely knows, and basically they end up falling for each other throughout their epic adventure. It's just fun and sweet. It also has some depth though, and it made me cry on several occasions, as the protagonist's father had died 3 months prior to the events of the book, and a lot of the story is dedicated to that, including flashbacks. It was kind of hard, emotionally, to put myself in her shoes, because I am so close with my dad and he has had some health scares in the past, so it was just really emotionally impactful for me. I just finished this book about half an hour ago, and I'm just starting to feel more normal and not so sad. Lol but anyway, it was a fun read.

Next on my list is To All the Boys I've Loved Before. I've heard good reviews of this book in the BookTube community, especially if you like contemporary YA romance, which is totally my jam. Plus, it looks like they just made a movie of it on Netflix, so I guess I'll have something to watch when I'm done.

10. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

I have to say anything by P.G. Wodehouse, for the can't-put-it-down part. Intelligent humor that never disappoints. And what about Agatha Christie?

11. Currently reading The Elements by Euclid, books I-XIII (on book II)!

12. Anti-ordinary

Anti-ordinary Fapstronaut

Hey guys, I'm nearly done with reading "Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike". Though I haven't finished reading the book, I find it very interesting in the way that Phil Knight tells his story. It is also very motivational in what you can achieve in life if you put your mind to it and work like hell. If anyone has read it or currently reading it, I would love to hear your opinions on the book.

13. FancyCoolDude

FancyCoolDude Fapstronaut

Hello and lemme introduce myself. Im a freshly baked reader. During my school years Ive only finished 1 lecture. I didnt read books, I found them to be too boring, until recently when I started my self improvement journey.

Im currently focusing on self help / improvement books. Ive finished "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck", "The Slight Edge" and "The Solution to Social Anxiety". Currently Im going through "Maybe Its You" by Lauren Handel Zander.

Ive set a goal to read 20 pages of a book every single day and Im trying to make it a permament habit rather than something Im forcing myself to do. By that I should finish about ~24 books a year. Lots of sweet new knowledge

14. McStoa

McStoa Fapstronaut

Some fantasy books to bury yourself in:
    • All the books from Joe Abercrombie
    • Riyria revelations
    • The stormlight archive and others from Brandon Sanderson
    • A song of ice and fire
    • the kingkiller chronicle
    Some books to learn from
    • All books from Irvin Yalom
    • Pierre Hadot's 'What is ancient philosophy'
    • Rowlands Mark 'Philosopher at the end of the universe' and 'the philosopher and the wolf'
    • books from Jared Diamond
    • Pale blue dot from carl sagan
    • every book about stoicism: epictetus, seneca and marcus aurelius
    With this list i think you're set for a couple of years

15. AstraH

AstraH New Fapstronaut

Ive listened to an audiobook by marc summers called how to stop masturbating, ive also listened to an audiobook called a short history about everything. The physical book I am currently reading is DCI Banks Aftermath by Peter Robinson. This is the second DCI Banks ive read and theyre brilliant. Ive got about 7 more left to read and im going to buy some more then. They really get my imagination going and i get really drawn into these books

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  16. Contentful T

Contentful T Fapstronaut

This is it. My new main thread. Thanks for starting this one man!

17. Contentful T

Contentful T Fapstronaut

I enjoyed it except the ending was like leaving me thinking like that's it? That's the entire story?

I mean you can't go wrong reading it but it is better for younger people if you ask me or spiritual newbies.

18. Contentful T

Contentful T Fapstronaut

Lol how was the audiobook on how to stop masturbating?

19. Justifiably Insane

Justifiably Insane New Fapstronaut

Currently reading The Mis-Education of the Negro by Carter G. Woodson (Founder/Originator of Black History Week)

20. Same here, I was kinda disappointed by the end, but it was still worth reading it.

I am supposed to read Hamlet for school, and I'm thinking about reading it in English. It might be hard, but it will definitely help me improve my English, which is desperately needed. Actually, now when I think about it, it's not modern English, so I'm not so sure if it will help me that much, I want to sound normal when I speak, not like I'm from 16th century. What do you guys think, will Hamlet help me improve my English, or maybe I should try with something more recent instead?
    Right now I'm reading "The Power of Your Subconscious Mind" by Joseph Murphy. There was actually only 3rd part available at library, it's about getting wealthy, so I was like whatever, just gimme something to read. So it's definitely not what I expected. I thought it's teaching you about how your brain works or something like that, but instead it's like Christian version of The law of attraction. I have no problem with that because I'm Christian, but it has really put me in some sort of dilemma. Murphy is literally teaching that poverty is a sin, and that God wants us all to be wealthy and enjoy this life. But anyways, I won't continue with this because this is not threat about religion, so... back to books. After finishing this, I'll read Hamlet and than I want to finally start reading The Brothers Karamazov again. I really enjoyed it, still not sure why I stopped reading it. I see Dostoyevsky as freaking genius. Friend recommended me to read Idiot as well, she said it changed her as a person completely. Also got recommendation from professor to read Notes from Underground. I really miss novels, got bored of all of these self help books. I feel like great novels and some autobiographies are more powerful in changing your personality than self help books.