1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Books that contain triggering content

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Wilde°, Jul 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Wilde°

Wilde° Fapstronaut

I haven't though about it much but sometimes reading book I find triggering content - not speaking of romance books because that's a bad idea to do so as it mainly focused on doing love and stuff, but about books that it tends to happen from time to time.

I've came across thinking about it because I started reading one of Harlen coben's books and there wasn't sex but it seems like it is yet to come. Things like that don't arouse me and won't get me to relapse but I don't want it to be considered as psub.

This book so far is really interesting and I do want to read it but sometimes I just overthink things and this is why I came hear to here more opinions.

More than welcome to share your opinions!

J29 likes this.
  2. Good that you're being watchful but like the gym thread, I think we have to accept that triggers are going to pop up. Getting too worried might create anxiety tension - when you do come across them you can skim over and/or just 'name it' 'oh there's triggering material' to detach from the emotional reaction.

3. It would be a shame to throw away all the useful bits in that book because of some random triggers. Like people above me have said, you can't control every single trigger in the world, so no use overthinking about it. Accept the stuff you cannot control and don't throw away the good because of some bad.

-J29

AlphaGod and ivanhoe like this.
  4. BrighterFuture

BrighterFuture Fapstronaut

Good topic because triggering books are really common, I'm always shocked by how triggering content appears in such random genres... you really never expect it coming
    but here's how I mostly deal with it; I'll keep reading the book even if I know it contains some triggering content, I'll skip the parts that doesn't suit my morals and take what will add value to my life, or just continue reading it because it makes me laugh.