Brain Fogs are on the rise

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Noland, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Noland

Noland Fapstronaut

Im getting some heavy brain fogs right now. It's probably from having mixed feelings about things going on.

Anyways, how do I beat this?

This feels like when I was first abstaining from PMO haha. How long until I never have to go through this again? It's annoying

2. Noland

Noland Fapstronaut

It finally cleared up! I'm freeee lol. I still need those tips though so I can do it automatically

3. looking4cure

looking4cure Fapstronaut

Having a healthier diet can allieve a lot of brain fog.. good nights sleep as well

sfmark12 likes this.
  4. JesusGreen

JesusGreen Fapstronaut

The holy trinity for defeating brain fog: Sleep, Diet, and Exercise.

Sleep:
    Get at least 7 hours a night. No less, I don't care how "good" you feel on 5-6 hours of sleep, it isn't enough. If you're exercising regularly, you might want to consider getting 8-9 on nights where you can, although if you wake up after 7+ and can't get back to sleep then just get up rather than laying in bed for hours.

You should also ensure that those hours are at night. Our bodies produce melatonin in response to darkness, and melatonin regulates sleep, so if you're up during the night calling yourself a "night owl", guess what you're up when your brain is full of melatonin and not working at its best. So brain fog is to be expected. Sleep when it's dark, and be up in the day, unless you absolutely can't do this because of working night shifts or something (Even if you are working night shifts, you have to ask yourself: is this job really worth compromising healthy sleep over? Because if it isn't, I'd get a different job that allows you to sleep at night).

Rise early in the morning, 5-7am or so if you want to feel the best throughout the day, even if you don't work or don't have to be up until much later. You can actually get up even earlier if you like, like 4am.

Diet:
    Ensure you are getting all the micronutrients your body needs. One that people are commonly deficient on is Vitamin D, because we mostly get Vitamin D from exposure to the sun, so if you spend a lot of time inside either for work or at home, then there's a good chance you don't get enough sun exposure to get optimal levels of Vitamin D. So it's good to take a Vitamin D supplement, especially during the winter months when you simply can't get enough sun exposure a lot of the time. Other examples of vitamins you might be deficient in and want to supplement: Zinc, Magnesium, Calcium, B6, B12, etc. If you can, find a good multivitamin that has all of these (and Google information about the type that the multi-vitamin has, for example, you don't want the Magnesium to be the cheapest form of Magnesium, Magnesium oxide, because it is so inefficient your body can only absorb 4% of it, so your "200mg" of magnesium oxide is actually only 8mg of magnesium by the time it absorbs, and so it won't do shit for you).

Ensure you're eating at least 50g of fat a day, for optimal healthy hormone levels. Fats are important for maintaining healthy hormone levels, especially as a guy since they are needed for your body to synthesise testosterone, one of the hormones that helps keep you at peak performance both mentally and physically. I don't suggest eating a lot more than 50-70g though.

Get a minimum of 0.5-0.6g protein per lb of body weight if you don't want any muscle and don't work out, and if you workout/exercise/want to keep your current muscle/grow some more muscle, then aim for 0.8g to 1.3g per lb of bodyweight rather than just 0.5-0.6g.

Fill up the rest of your daily calories with carbohydrates. It's carbohydrates that our body uses for energy. Protein is very inefficient for energy, and best used mostly for muscle protein synthesis (i.e. muscle repair and growth) and not for actual energy needs, so there's no point in eating more protein than you need, you'll have less energy, more brain fog etc. Fats are best used for what I mentioned above, since our body only really utilises them for energy if you completely deprive yourself of carbohydrates and go into what's called ketosis, so there's no point in eating more fat than you need, you'll again have less energy, more brain fog etc. I also don't actually suggest going into ketosis/eating a keto diet if you have brain fog, simply because ketogenic diets are not as favourable for your hormone levels as high carb diets. High carb diets are the best for optimal testosterone levels, so while ketosis can be great for shedding some water weight quickly if you're on a rapid diet, or need to lose quick weight for wrestling or a bodybuilding competition or something, it's not the most optimal diet long term for things like brain fog etc that can be countered by higher testosterone levels.

Exercise:
    Try to do some form of resistance training at least twice a week, ideally more. If you have the money and the time, get a gym membership, or build a home gym. If you don't want to do either or can't afford to, then start calisthenics (bodyweight training). You don't have to focus on building much muscle if that's not a goal of yours, but focus on building strength at least, and let any smaller muscle gains that come with it happen, as the stronger you get and the more you get used to pushing and challenging yourself, the better you'll feel day to day in terms of: energy levels, brain fog (or lack thereof), confidence, motivation, etc. If you're unsure where to start, google for "linear progression programs".

As a beginner, you're able to make consistent progress every single workout or every week at least, meaning you can progress faster than an intermediate or advanced lifter. So you need a program that accounts for that, and adds weight to the bar (or increases the difficulty of your exercises in some other way) every workout or every week.

Next up, you should do some form of cardio. A lot of people, especially those who resistance train, avoid cardio like the plague, and this is silly. Some people think that if they're gaining weight, cardio is a bad idea since it will just kill their gains. Firstly it won't, as long as you don't do so much cardio that you don't have the energy to workout, it just means you'll have to eat more to gain at the same rate. Secondly it may even help your gains, since cardio will help you build more stamina, making your workouts feel less tiring, and resulting in you being able to crank out more reps and sets more easily. Thirdly and finally, you can adjust your amount of cardio to suit your current needs.

You only need to be doing the bare minimum for cardio to get the mental benefits (more energy, reduced brainfog, better sleep, etc), so you don't even have to be doing enough cardio to even need to really eat more. If your goal is weight loss, then sure, do 1-2+ hours of cardio a week, but if your goal is just to feel better, you can do as little as 30 minutes a week or better yet 5 minutes a day (since you'll get more benefits from daily cardio, even if it's so short, than you will from doing it once a week).

---

Get all three of these things down, and you'll very rarely be faced with any brain fog (assuming you also aren't consuming any drugs that cause brain fog, or engaging in any activities that cause brain fog like PMO).

vibemaker, Stupid Monkey and Noland like this.
  5. Noland

Noland Fapstronaut

That was informative! Thank you for the time and effort you put into that! I need to have more resolve on all 3. I'll get to it.

100 percent.

JesusGreen likes this.