1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

British and American Stereotypes

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Browsing through some of the older posts today. I watched the video since I’ve been fascinated by the UK since I was a kid. Been there once, up close by the Newcastle area. This video is exactly what’s said in it’s title, “Stereotypes”. They’re nothing more than oversimplified beliefs about something or someone. The things said about the US would be no help to anyone since different parts of the country vary a lot. Even parts of the same metropolitan area vary quite a bit. I’m sure it’s the same with the UK.

2. English food, is bland and tasteless, coming from the USA I am used to everything being spicy. In the UK, spicy isn't even part of the flavor pallet. Everything is sweet, salty, or savory.

Don't worry tho, the Irish have the worse food overall.

3. It doesn't suck, it just really really isn't my thing. You're sweets are great, but I don't like sweets. When we were busy culturally appropriating food we got the best of all world's. The UKs great contribution however, the meat pie, to die for.

4. Cmon, whole Europe knows, your island food and diet was quite a challenge, before the EU/global trade thing really started. Name just one recipe that really kicks ass, compared with french cuisine, italian dolce vita, dutch dairy products, greek kitchen or german bread and austrian bakery. I love english culture, but your traditional kitchen - sorry, no awards for that. Again, I am talking about the time before Jamie Oliver became popular, go back to Monty Python seventies. (SPAM anyone?) American cheesecake, pumpkinpie or cornbread, wow.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2018
  5. I lived in Australia and nearly had a stroke when I found out:
    1. Pork sausage wasn"t a thing outside of professional butchers.
    2. There was no such thing as spicy.
    3. Pumpkin in everything (I actually liked pumpkin.
    4. Lamb
    5. The only spicy food in the country was Indian.
    6. Vegemite (I came to adore the yeasty goodness.)

As for American food, I believe food is the true American dream. I have German food one night, followed by Italian the next night, I might have an English fry up for breakfast, then real Mexican tacos for dinner. The melting pot is what makes American food better than any other country. The fact that we are bastards that take the best of everyone else so I can walk down the street and be like Thai? Sri Lanken? Ethopian? Sushi? Korean?

We don't even have to make anything for ourselves.

6. I can make a traditional Okie meal of beans, cornbread, fried taters, and mustard greens, and fried okra that would please anyone.

7. Probably the worst food in the world is found in Australia. British food cooked with an American attitude.

8. Scotland has the worst food. The only thing that saved me from starving to death during my visit was the small Chinese takeout place I came across in the town and I stayed in. I had chinese everyday.

9. Americans have the best food and we have the waistlines to prove it.

10. I'm American. After visiting England, especially the North, I was surprised how similar they are to us. Really, the food is very similar too. We have all kinds if ethnic food and fast food at restaurants, but the real American food is what we cook at home. It makes sense since most of the colonists who founded the country came from England. That is why we speak english after all.

11. TIMMY0110

TIMMY0110 Fapstronaut

Hi there....every country has good things and bad things....so just acknowledge that and lets not take things personally. I am from India..I know there are quite a lot of good things and bad things in my country (poverty, hygiene and so on). Does that mean I should not acknowledge if someone says India has lot of poverty...and label the comment as incredibly bloody rude and insulting thing to say about my country????? Truth can be bitter sometimes...Get used to it.

If you are taking the opinions too personal then it means you have a ego problem.

Deleted Account and Randy like this.
  12. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Most “American” food comes from other cultures. While that can be a negative thing, the USA no doubt has the most variety of food due to its immigrant population.

British food isn’t bad honestly. I just prefer food here or from Italy/Asia :) but it depends on where you’re from and what your tastes are accustomed to.

13. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

I didn't hear this stereotype until I was 16 or 17. The stereotype that I kept hearing over and over again growing up was that you all had bad teeth.

14. You lack a bit of the dark english humour and smart irony in this question, that makes you people often so much more interesting, than those being pinched, while defending their personal national little treasures. ;) I do not consider it´s "incredibly bloody rude" or even "insulting", but just being honest, if someone mentions that a certain country´s food is not his cup of tea. If your food is so delicious, well, I doubt it does need any advocate or PR then. That is what making fun about stereotypes is about. Even the english girl in the video admits it, because it´s a common truth most people would not want to have a serious debate over it: There are not many famous traditional english dishes that have been adopted by any other countries, for being that yummy and delicious to their people. While the Americans have even exported their simple "Hamburger" and softdrinks all over the world, "Fish and Chips" might have lots of notoriety for being typical british, but the idea could never really sell outside of UK. Also "Chicken tikka masala" does not sound very british by origin to me, while being one of the most favourite dishes now.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2018
    Hros likes this.
  15. TIMMY0110

TIMMY0110 Fapstronaut

and why is that??

16. Do British people like football and cricket?

17. jk243

jk243 Fapstronaut

Don't sleep on African Food.

18. English football. Do you personally like football and cricket?

19. People all over Europe make fun of British food and British housing. Look at Asterix comics, for example. I used to be against this notion and found some British food that is ok.

Now that I live in Australia I have changed my mind. The food is really bland and the houses are not built very well.