1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Building a PC

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Karlus Rex, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Karlus Rex

Karlus Rex Fapstronaut

I’m trying to start some healthy habits, divert some of that extra time to doing productive things, and I was thinking about building a PC.

One small issue, I know next to nothing about the guts of computers and how to put them together. That said, I’d like to give it a try. Any advice/info you’d care to send my way would be greatly appreciated. For instance, is there a particular source you’d recommend to research this? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Side Note: The PC would be a combo of work and gaming.

vercent99 likes this.
  2. vercent99

vercent99 Fapstronaut

What are your standards in gaming? 60 FPS? 144+ FPS? 240+ FPS?

What type of games? Shooters?

On which settings? Do you play on high settings? Or do you not care about playing on low or medium settings to save some money?

What's your budget? More information would be appreciated

Chicken Zeus likes this.
  3. Karlus Rex

Karlus Rex Fapstronaut

So I have a solid budget since I’ve been working overtime during this pandemic, say around $3,000.

I’ve always had computer graphics that were several years behind so I’d like some decent graphics for once with some decent frame rate.

I play some shooters but I’m pretty diverse in what I play so long as it will run on my 2013 laptop. I’d like some new Gen games for once.

vercent99 likes this.
  4. Retentionman

Retentionman Fapstronaut

Perhaps watching tutorials on youtube, nothing like seeing how its done. Be careful, I've heard those small things are very delicate

Chicken Zeus likes this.
  5. vercent99

vercent99 Fapstronaut

Wow, most people start with a medium 500 to 600$ build, the ones that tend to go with a high build spend 1000 to 1500$. With 3000$ you can build a killer PC, you don't even need to spend it all if you wish!

Personally I know nothing about a workstation PC, but I have some moderate knowledge about gaming PCs.

There are a lot of recommended builds on the pcpartpicker website (first link on google when you type pcpartpicker)

You can also refer to the r/buildapc subreddit for more questions as it's more likely you'll meet specialized people in regards to building PCs

6. Karlus Rex

Karlus Rex Fapstronaut

Like I said, overtime. The firm I work at lost half a dozen employees and I had to work extra. I was putting in 70-80 hour weeks. I don’t have a mortgage, see no need for a new car, no major debts, so no reason why I can’t do it.

vercent99 likes this.
  7. vercent99

vercent99 Fapstronaut

If you have the ability to, then ofcourse go all in!

Karlus Rex likes this.
  8. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

I use this in a potatoe with a couple of cables attached to it.
    https://shadow.tech/en-gb/

I think 3000 would get you... yeah, about 16 years of the normal setup that is pretty decent.

Karlus Rex likes this.
  9. skybrowser

skybrowser Fapstronaut

Like someone has suggested youtube has videos on how to start even if you're a beginner. A tech youtuber called JayzTwoCents gives good knowledge on pc building and parts. You've got a good budget but despite that you may struggle to find a good gpu for a while since scalpers keep getting them.

SilentJay313 and Karlus Rex like this.
  10. Karlus Rex

Karlus Rex Fapstronaut

I’ll give Jay a look then and thanks for the advice. So a decent GPU might be tricky getting ahold of, any other part I can expect to be price gouged?

11. skybrowser

skybrowser Fapstronaut

Other PC parts should not be a problem.

Karlus Rex likes this.
  12. J053H32n4nd32

J053H32n4nd32 Fapstronaut

I wish I had a budget to buy a gaming PC.

13. I dont think spending time on a PC is healthy. If you want to start some healthy habits get offline. Get off screens.

14. Karlus Rex

Karlus Rex Fapstronaut

If you’re of that opinion then you can always get off your phone. The keyword, is “building” a PC. Having a project is plenty heathy. I have to work on a PC all the time and with the shut down, computer based contact is one of the few avenues I have for family and friends. I play games with my brothers most of the time. I’m aiming for building something that can handle my workload and my play load. I don’t think that’s a problem.

15. OhWhenThe

OhWhenThe Fapstronaut

I built mine a few years ago, if I can do it then anyone can, believe me.

I remember I kind of got hooked on pcpartpicker and looking at all these crazy builds. Choosing all the components and building it was the best bit, I haven't even really used it for what I initially intended haha.

Karlus Rex likes this.
  16. Karlus Rex

Karlus Rex Fapstronaut

Probably a misspent budget on my part. One day sir, you’ll get there.

J053H32n4nd32 likes this.
  17. What do you mean 'you can always get off your phone'? I am not on a phone. You have attempted to justify you building a pc. Thats fine. Do it then but building doesn't last very long then its time to use it. I am simply saying using a pc isnt a healthy habit and building a pc usually ends up with using it. Get it now? You might use it for contact with family like you say or games, whatever, you find that stuff valuable good for you. Thats not what I am talking about when I say using a PC is unhealthy. Its unhealthy physically. Sitting down is not what humans are made to do especially for long periods of time. 5 Minutes is fine. Its bad on the eyes. More time online means less time offline= bad physically. You actually seem slightly mad in your response, maybe I am reading it the wrong way because this is the internet after all but I believe I am right in thinking you didnt like what I had to say. Maybe dont post what you plan to do in life on the internet where people will give their opinions.

Here smartass look at the definition of HABIT

something that you do often and regularly

Notice OFTEN and REGULARLY

Building yourself a pc once and then using it is not a healthy habit. Its not a habit at all.

Dont even respond to me or I am putting you on ignore.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2021
  18. Karlus Rex

Karlus Rex Fapstronaut

Um ... respond?

19. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Bruh, we know that gaming is like crack, heroine, but chill out.

Human: Not made to sit down
    Also Human: Sits on a rock
    For long periods etc, ok, fair....

Time offline: Lying in the couch eating cheetos and melted cheese with nachos...
    Time offline does not equal healthy or good physically.

Chill guuuys, he wants to do some gaming, you want to go and do some yoga or whatever you do, let people be.

20. SilentJay313

SilentJay313 Fapstronaut

$3000 is a nice budget for a killer workstation/gaming pc. I've built my first pc from the knowledge i gained from my computer repair internship from high school, and helped putting together my best friends pc. If i had to pick a source for pc building advice/information, i would have to suggest YouTube channels like Jayztwocents(like mentioned above), Gamers Nexus, Bitwit, and Paul's Hardware. Depending on what your needs are and what you're looking to do with your build, i can help put together a list on pcpartpicker.com if you want.

Like mentioned above, certain parts these days are going to be hard to get your hands on because of the damn scalpers(AMD Ryzen 5000 series cpus, AMD Radeon 6000 Gpu's, and Nvidia RTX 3000 series Gpu's). Some parts prices have went up (Ram i think and maybe something Motherboards too?), but some stuff previous generation parts may still be available.

Karlus Rex likes this.