C5M - My journal to win the morning

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by DiegoSR, Aug 13, 2021.

1. DiegoSR

DiegoSR Fapstronaut

Hi community! This is a side journal to the main one, because i want to share my progress in the attempt to build a new habit (old habit actually), which is for me a great challenge at the moment. Let me explain...

On my way to self improvement I found different activities and habits which can really give you the right momentum and the right attitude to do almost EVERYTHING

I came across with one of these when i read the book "The 5 A.M. Club" ("C5M" in italian), from Robin Sharma. In the book he explains how to build strong habits which last in time and shows the reader the perfect morning routine: waking up at 5 am and complete different tasks from 5 am to 6 pm, in the so called "Hour of Victory"

From 5am to 6am. Divide the hour in three parts (the so called 20-20-20 rule):
    1) 20 mins - EXCERCISE
    Do some excercise as soon as you wake up. Cortisol is reduces, dopamine, serotonine and testosterone is increased. All these thing will boost your day
    2) 20 mins - REFLECT
    Do some journaling, meditate, think about the day you have in front of you
    3) 20 mins - READ
    Study something you want, read autobiographies... always learn something new!!

2 years ago I managed to achieve consistency in waking up at 5am and it worked very well for me. I was another person during the day, no procrastination, reading books, being more present. Then the lockdown, with nothing to do all day... it made me snooze the alarm and loose the habit (i even lost the nofap challenge during that period!!)

NOW
    I want to take back this morning routine. It's the hardest thing ever after nofap for me. Since the end of the lockdown i tryed hard multiple times with no results.
    Monday 16/08 will be the first day, i will check-in here weekly to record my progress. No more excuse, this is something that must be done

You can't set the alarm at 5 am for two days, then wake up at 8am for the next 3 days, then again 5 am, then 7 am and so on
    Consistency is the name of the game. With no consistency, you can't build the new neural pathway which makes the habit lasts in time. For this purpose, Sharma in the book identified a period of 66 days to reach this goal

22 days - destrucion phase. The hardest period, you have to destroy the habit of snoozing the alarm and wake up late
    22 days - implementation phase. You need a lot of energy for this step and consistency. You are replacing the old habit with a new one
    22 days - integration phase. You now can see the progress and you are about to reach the automatism of the new habit

So, if you stop in the middle or you skip some day, you can't build the habit efficiently

I suggest you to read that bok... It's a story of 2 people and a billionaire teaching them this habit. You can learn a lot of things even if you are not intersted in waking up at 5 am!

WorldIsYours likes this.
  2. DiegoSR

DiegoSR Fapstronaut

WEEK 1
    monday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - tuesday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - wednesday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - thursday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - friday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check:

WEEK 2
    monday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check:- tuesday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check:- wednesday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - thursday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check:- friday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check:

WEEK 3
    monday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - tuesday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - wednesday :emoji_negative_squared_cross_mark: - thursday :emoji_negative_squared_cross_mark: - friday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check:

WEEK 4
    monday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - tuesday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - wednesday :emoji_negative_squared_cross_mark: - thursday :emoji_negative_squared_cross_mark: - friday :emoji_negative_squared_cross_mark:

WEEK 5
    monday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - tuesday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - wednesday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - thursday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - friday :emoji_negative_squared_cross_mark:

WEEK 6
    monday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - tuesday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - wednesday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - thursday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - friday :emoji_negative_squared_cross_mark:

WEEK 7
    monday :emoji_negative_squared_cross_mark: - tuesday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - wednesday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - thursday :emoji_negative_squared_cross_mark: - friday :emoji_negative_squared_cross_mark:

WEEK 8
    monday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - tuesday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - wednesday :emoji_negative_squared_cross_mark: - thursday :emoji_negative_squared_cross_mark: - friday :emoji_negative_squared_cross_mark:

WEEK 9
    monday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - tuesday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check: - wednesday :emoji_negative_squared_cross_mark: - thursday :emoji_negative_squared_cross_mark: - friday :emoji_ballot_box_with_check:

Week 1

OOOK... this is the first week. Started the morning routine as planned. Monday and tuesday --> done

Tonight i slept less than 5 hours. For me it's less than the average, perfect would be 5 sleep cycles (7.5 hours)
    This is probably the hardest part - to change the timetables
    Let's see....

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    WorldIsYours likes this.
  3. DiegoSR

DiegoSR Fapstronaut

WEEK 1 done. Perfect. Relax in this weekend then ready to rock in the second week

4. DiegoSR

DiegoSR Fapstronaut

WEEK 2
    I'm committed to do it. No excuses. I'm doing well

This night i slept only 4 and a half hours... I went to the cinema and went to bed late
    (Fast and Furious 9 sucks, never saw a film like this one my god... don't watch it or you will loose 3 hours of your life believe me)

Still, i woke up at 5 am this morning and did excercice and everything this habit requires. Now i'm not tired, and this is something great.
    It prooves me i am strong and i have more energy during the day

Now i'm going on the ambulance. Let's go!

5. DiegoSR

DiegoSR Fapstronaut

WEEK 2 - perfect. Despite some mornings i'm tired as fu*k, like this morning, i can find the energy to wake up and do everything. I'm building momentum
    This is very good... but in order to build a long term habit i have to do it every (working) day and complete the 66 days cycle. Now i'm on week 2 out of 9
    So, keep going!!

6. DiegoSR

DiegoSR Fapstronaut

WEEK 3. Missed today and yesterday. I woke up and deliberately snoozed the alarm.

My reasons:
    ■ Yesterday i was upset, as i had a wet dream at night. It's the second time that this happen to me in my entire life. Since it was the the 89th day in my 90 days challenge, i was wondering if this was a relpase. So i was hungry as i woke up
    ■ Today i was tired, slept only 3 hours and woke up in the middle of a deep sleep

Actually, reasons are just EXCUSES. This won't happen again tomorrow morning

I i see these two days from another point of view, they helped me to see the difference between waking up late and waking up early.
    Everything change. C5M is the way

NO EXCUSES

7. Joseph Campbell

Joseph Campbell Fapstronaut

Rock on brev, I love your focus. We fall the the level of our training right? Looks like you are setting a solid foundation, high above the murky waters, good luck moving forward.

DiegoSR likes this.
  8. DiegoSR

DiegoSR Fapstronaut

WEEK 3
    Completed the third week with only 3 out of 5 days. And with the 3rd week, the first phase - destruction phase (which is part of the 66 days cycle) - comes to the end

Woke up saturday, wrote a very demanding to do list. Completed 95% of it, which is great.
    Today sunday, relax with yoga for my back and a (not so relaxing) 4km fast run

For the next week, i commit to be part of the C5M every single day. 5 out of 5. This is the goal for the next week

Second phase - implementation phase - can start

9. DiegoSR

DiegoSR Fapstronaut

WEEK 4
    Missed this morning, snoozed the alarm. But this time was different...
    i was determined to wake up, because i know this is good for me... but i snoozed anyway.

Tomorrow i won't be part of the C5M, the alarm is early anyway but i will have a track day with my motorcycle and must prepare for it, i don't have time to do the morning routine. I will resume on friday

10. DiegoSR

DiegoSR Fapstronaut

WEEK 4

This week was bad, 2 out of 5
    Must be more disciplined the next week or i won't build the habit correctly

11. DiegoSR

DiegoSR Fapstronaut

WEEK 5

This week i must do it, the entire week. This morning i really don't know how i was able to wake up and do everything.
    I was sooo tired, every 5 minutes my eyes were about to close by themselves. I was tired from the day before, every day working then ambulance in the evening. But I did it.

Now i'm at a point where waking up late sucks... I feel the wasting of time that the morning gives me
    Alarm tomorrow is at 5 am and i will do some pull ups, the hardest excercise for me
    go!

Vayu96 likes this.
  12. DiegoSR

DiegoSR Fapstronaut

WEEK 6

Sometimes i wake up very tired... now i know why
    It happens because the alarm sounds in the middle of a sleep cycle, during the deep sleep

I'm seriously thinking about setting a smart alarm, an iphone app which trak my sleep and wake me up when the cycle is done properly.
    This means not waking up at 5am perfectly.... and i'm not so happy about that, but if this can help me waking up fresh and active, this could be the solution

We'll see in the next days

13. DiegoSR

DiegoSR Fapstronaut

WEEK 7

Looking back to the calendar, i can see that i missed almost every friday. Must fix that

I tried the alarm app, it's awesome! It tryes to wake you up when you are in the lightest sleep by analysing sleep cycles. It's like if you are almost awake and the alarm goes on. I tried it for two days but for now it's like magic ahaha
    By the way, this morning i snoozed it. It woke me up at 4.45. That's too early, it made me snooze.
    I will set it right for tomorrow, so it will wake me up between 4.50 and 5.10 (with 20 mins offset)

14. DiegoSR

DiegoSR Fapstronaut

WEEK 7

Week 7 is not good. In general, it's not good. I can't build a strong habit by missing half of the days in a week. F*ck
    Changing alarm (using the app) made me snooze multiple times.

At the moment, 28% of the mornings i snoozed.....
    next week i must rock in order to recover

15. DiegoSR

DiegoSR Fapstronaut

Almost 3 weeks after the end of the 66-days-period

Things are not going as expected. In the last 2 weeks i always snoozed the alarm, i feel warm in my bed since outside it'is colder and colder
    I didn't loose the motivation, it's almost 2 years now that i know that I MUST implement this morning routine if i want to be a succesful person. Nothing is against it: no cons, only pros. But again, there is always something wrong when i woke up at 5am. "i'm too tired", "another hour of sleep pleaase".. all excuses. So now i developed the habit to snooze

I don't accept this. Better, i give myself some days to make a precise plan and study all possible helps i can have which will push me out of the bed. I lost the battle, but i will win the war