1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Caffeine and video games

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Boanerges777, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Boanerges777

Boanerges777 Fapstronaut

Should I give them up? I feel like I play video games to only suppress recovery in an unhealthy way but I have lots of friends on steam that I play with everyday but if you guys think it will help I am willing to do anything to make recovery easier.

2. Distractions are good and video games are actually good for you cognitavely. The problem comes when you play excessively. You replace your addiction with another addiction and you never make progress in terms of dopamine dependence. If you can play for an hour or two and quit then its all good, but if you're doing all night binges on the regular then you need to give it up. How regularly do you play and for how long?

Boanerges777 likes this.
  3. Boanerges777

Boanerges777 Fapstronaut

Hey friend thanks for this. Yes I am extremely addicted to video games because I play in a group I have a lot of friends on steam and the game I play is really good it’s called rust. I have 1k hours on it and I’ll play as much as I can. 5-7 hours a day? I work full time so it takes away ALL my free time. I am a day clean from it and I am going to sell my PC. What should I do to replace it?

4. I saw video footage of rust and it looks crazy. These people were trapping other players in these rooms and were executing them like saw. I dont know if it was a mod or what but it looked intersting . people were also saying it was super addictive.

I always suggest martial arts arts and boxing because thats my thing but you should do whatever things you like that dont involve TVs and screens. Stay away from drugs or other addictive things and try to get outside to get your dopamine dependence down. If you like to read, hit up a dollar book store and read an actual book. If you believe in God spend time getting to know him by reading the bible and meditating on his word in nature. Staying in front of a screen kind of puts you in that same frame of mind that youre in when you game and PMO.

I'm good at limiting my gaming but I spend too much time on nofap and you tube. I just got a new job and I'm going to be volunteering as a grief counselor so between that and training. This is going to make it easier for me to stay away from this useless trash.

Boanerges777 likes this.
  5. Try breaking out of video games and caffeine on Day 7 or Day 14. In the meantime, try to understand why you play videos games too much and drink caffeine too much.

dwarfstruggles and Boanerges777 like this.
  6. I don't think quitting multiple addictions at once is wise, as the withdrawal symptoms may compound.

Boanerges777 likes this.
  7. I can't answer your question, as how it will impact your recovery can only been seen through testing. The best you can do is as @hopefulistic said, and figure out why you use these so much.

I quite video games before my counter on here started, over four months ago, and haven't relapsed since. Caffeine is different, as I wanted to test it's effects on me, but I've only had 2-3 short periods of caffeine drinking since my counter started. If you're interested in doing this,

Essential to quitting games were
    • Generating new, random passwords to my steam/gog accounts and giving these to a trusted friend. You might also need a new email if you'd be especially tempted, or there's ways on /r/stopgaming of just ridding yourself of steam instantly. Sell any consoles and games.
    • Canceling my home internet.
    • Having things to do as alternatives

Essential to quitting caffeine were
    • Not buying/having any in the house or at hand
    • Deliberately filling my house instead with caffeine-free alternatives, and especially herbal teas.

From my own experience, I think it has helped. Video games and caffeine cloud my mind, as I always overindulge in them. After indulging, my ability to think clearly and act in accord with my long term interests is drained and I do dumb, impulsive things. Also, a key goal for me is to go from being a neet to being a useful person, and video games are a vice that keeps me down.This doesn't apply to everyone though, many people use games just fine. It's like alcohol.

But I think games are often a way that men escape reality, and caffeine hides depression/lethargy from poor lifestyle habits.

Boanerges777 likes this.
  8. Boanerges777

Boanerges777 Fapstronaut

Thanks guys. Day 6 clean of caffeine and video games :)

Deleted Account likes this.