1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Calisthenics workout

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Angelo94, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Angelo94

Angelo94 Fapstronaut

Anyone like calisthenics? I'm beginner and I started workout because I don't want think about masturbation or other dirty things.

2. Yaakov Collins

Yaakov Collins New Fapstronaut

I just recently started doing calisthenics, doing it with my coach.

Angelo94 likes this.
  3. A Conqueror

A Conqueror Fapstronaut

I started doing calisthenics when I was 15, sounds impressive but I've never been constant, I become lazy after a few years or months after starting, restarting my progress. This last year I have been very active though, I have many goals, such as one arm pushups, one arm pullups, handstand pushups and hand walking, one leg squats and full bridges.
    If you are new I really advice you to take it easy, even if your muscles can take the load of let's say a full pushup. Start doing it from a wall or in a kneeling position. This is to avoid injuries. in the long run you will save time, your joints and connective tissues take longer to adapt and become stronger than muscles.

4. desmond3

desmond3 Fapstronaut

I also love calisthenics, it is a good way to start becoming active in our journeys, and it can be done without going to the gym or any equipment. However, to me (and maybe some of the NoFappers), my body is too weak to handle those exercises (probably due to my long PMO history and poor living habits), so I am planning to go NoFap for a few months first before I start doing any strength training. In the meanwhile, I will just take some walks and do some light qigong.

So you may give calisthenics a try, but just like @A Conqueror have said, we should take it easy at first. Then, listen to the body. If it feels too tiring (especially feeling super tired on the next day after training), that means the training is too intense for you, and adjustment should be made.

Hope this helps and wish you good luck!

5. A Conqueror

A Conqueror Fapstronaut

Brother, now is an excellent time for you to start. When I say start slow, I really mean it, I started doing pushups stand up against the wall, started doing pullups standing up, leaning backwards and pulling my body using a vertical pole, started, started my squats by laying down, retracting my legs and pushing them up against no weight, but only lifting the weight of my legs, etc. Could I have done normal excercises and harder versions? Of course, but still I disciplined myself to slowly condition my whole body.
    Now you being unable to do harder varietions and feeling "weak" is an advantage for you because you get to to these excercises from level 1, without getting bored like me. I've been following the bodyweight principles from a series called Convict Conditioning, they are 3 volumes, currently my workout include knowledge from the first 2, but you really only need the first one for a good while. If you want it i can give it to you, at least read it or give it a glance, the info is golden

Angelo94 and desmond318 like this.
  6. desmond3

desmond3 Fapstronaut

Ah! I have just searched for the book and read some beginning parts of it. (A scanned softcopy in PDF, but I think I should pay and support the author if I decide to continue reading it.) I feel the same, that modern methods of bodybuilding is unnatural, just like what the author wrote. Yet, I didn't know what should be the correct way to do strength training, and here's something good to refer to.

Thank you for your information, I will think about it. I am recently doing some exercises according to a Chinese medicine book, so I think I better focus on that for now, but I will definitely consider reading the book and including calisthenics that you have introduced after some time.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    A Conqueror likes this.
  7. A Conqueror

A Conqueror Fapstronaut

Hey that's really cool, let me know if you ever start, would be interesting to follow your progress.
    Regarding the chinese book, what is it about, is it related to energy and semen retention by any chance?

8. desmond3

desmond3 Fapstronaut

The book I read is related to Traditional Chinese Medicine. The book includes some exercises on how to replenish energy, getting rid of toxic waste from the body, as well as making energy flowing better in the body. Also, it talks about some theories on the topic. I believe these would help me with building of a solid foundation physically and mentally.

Regarding the relationship among Chinese Medicine, semen retention and energy, it is well known in the field (not only in this book). Ejaculation and sexual fantasies would both deplete energy of the body, and this will deprive the visceral organs of the necessary energy to function properly. Sex addicts often do both of these activities too much. This results in various bodily symptoms, as well as severe illnesses in extreme cases. It is also worth noting that, while it is okay to have natural orgasm with a partner (provided that the person is healthy enough), masturbation is not recommended, not even in moderation, as it is highly addictive and it violates the nature of sexual intercourse. In addition, while PMO is one of the major reasons of energy depletion, unhealthy living habits would also do the same, so this issue should also be taken care of on our journeys.

9. A Conqueror

A Conqueror Fapstronaut

As in microcosmic orbit? Energy flowing through the spine, head and back to the testicles in a circle. Years ago I read a few books about stuff like that, even tried some exercises for a while but I wasn't consistent. I also tried some basic qigong (chi kung) practice with the hands through youtube, I was able to feel some heat but again, I abandoned it for a reason I don't remember. please let me know if you see beneficial or relevant results, about anything

10. desmond3

desmond3 Fapstronaut

There are many things I would like to share on the "energy flow", maybe I will give you some details privately when I have the time next week. (I don't want to hijack this post.)

Regarding the exercises, it is actually just my first day doing one of those introduced in the book. That exercise was a "warm-up", which is designed to help people to make their legs flexible, so that they can do the "full lotus position" (e.g. in meditation). According to the book, this position is something every true Chinese doctor should know how to do, and recommend in order to enhance blood and energy flow in the whole body. I do feel my legs are very warm after doing that warm-up exercise, and I could barely do the full lotus position after that (I couldn't do it at all in the past), I believe these exercises could be very useful, and will keep trying.

A Conqueror likes this.
  11. Zephon

Zephon Fapstronaut

I do calisthenics too! But don't come that far. At least I can almost l-sit with enough effort.