1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I forgive myself?

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by Gvn2Fly, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Gvn2Fly

Gvn2Fly Fapstronaut

When I think about the pain I've caused my wife by not being able to perform due to my PMO addiction, I feel extreme sadness. I feel like I've ruined her life and that she shouldn't have married me. I try not to think about it, because then I can't stop crying when I do. I think a few days without PMO (after being an every day several hour binge user) has started to bring some real emotions to the surface. The truth is that I don't know if I can forgive myself for the years I've taken from her. We also have a son who has asked for a sibling..would we have another child if I wasn't addicted? Have I ruined my son's life also? I just don't know if I can ever forgive myself.

My wife has been busy with work and school and I think it would have been hard to have a second with her schedule..as it is I'm typically the one that takes him and picks him up from school, puts him to bed, does is work..so having a baby during all this (and I suffered some serious depression requiring hospitalization in 2013-2014) would have been difficult..Doctors have also told her in the past it would be hard or unlikely she would have kids, so maybe we were only meant to have 1...Or am I just trying to justify it?

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. NF4L

NF4L Fapstronaut

You have to forgive yourself, and love yourself completely, even your addict side of you. This is the only way you can heal and become whole again. It will require much time, energy, will power and strength. You made the first step by taking PMO out of your life. The next steps require introspection, and reflection on your actions and choices you have made. Every day is a success and a battle to overcome the addiction. Another day where you’ve made progress by setting a new record, or learned from your relapse. While taking time for yourself to become the best man you can be, don’t forget about the affect it may have had on your wife and child. You will have to have those hard conversations and communicate to them the wrongs you did. Perhaps by sharing your struggles and transgressions you can find forgiveness outside of yourself. Holding onto the secrecy and lies will consume you from the inside out. They lose power over you once they are released and brought out into the light. Then you can make new choices and better choices, and learn to forgive and love yourself. If you don’t, you may end up falling back into a cycle of shame, guilt, and self loathing that can lead to a relapse. It’s hard to break those old habits, but you can do it by preparing and resolving yourself to becoming a better person without them.