Can Nationality be a factor while dating ?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Win_for_life, May 16, 2018.

Can Nationality be a factor while dating ?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Never thought about it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Win_for_life

Win_for_life Fapstronaut

What are your thoughts on dating someone from another country ?
    Specially countries with alot of stereotypes revolving around them.
    Other person is averge looking and does’nt fullfill social attractive convensions in yours or there own country.
    Just curious.

2. So I respect all nationalities 100% and have had friends from all walks of life.

Some other nationalitiesI'm just not that attracted to. Like for example, I'm never been that attracted to Asian women (middle eastern, china, japan), idk why. I've had a good good friend from Korean and never once had hatred or dissent for Asians.

It's like how some white girls only like black guys. Wanna hear something really really strange? So I myself am a white male. My most serious girlfriend (white) back in the day only dated dark skinned people (black, mexican, etc) and then she said it was strange that she started dating me, I was the first white guy she liked.

Also my friend from college (white girl) who all the time openly says she only hookups w black males started to like me, idk why this happens, perhaps a coincidence.

I fucking loovvveeee European girls, they're my favorite. I've always had a opposition to Britain and thought the accent were annoying (sorry Brits on here), but that has changed a week ago. I met a girl from northern england and she had the most elegant accent and it was by far the cutest thing. We hit it off actually and I just loved talking to her to hear her accent and her laugh. Idk if all British people do that same accent, but it's absolutely adorable.

So I prefer Europeans (now including britain), russians/urkranian, and (of course) americans. It's just hard to say american bc it's a melting pot. But ive only other dated other American white girls (as I am american).

Sorry for the long post:p

Win_for_life likes this.
  3. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

In my opinion, more than anything, the legality of it is what matters rather than the stereotypes.

I have a mate from America who married a previously-married Thai woman. At first, he had to get a visa to Thailand to live with her while they prepare for the marriage. There’s something in Thai culture where it’s natural for the soon-to-be husband to pay the parents of the bride for the parents’ consent, as well as satisfy other requests (living there for a bit was one of them so the parents would feel more comfortable), hence the need for his visa.

Now, they’re in the process of getting her citizenship to the USA. I’m not sure how it works there, but once everything goes through, she apparently won’t be able to leave the USA even to see family. For getting the visa, she also has to leave behind one of her kids in Thailand (he has a different father) for around 6 months, I believe?

But, Thailand is one of the mail-order bride hotspots (as well as Russia/Eastern Europe), which might explain why such a complicated process occurs.

So, in short, the laws are the number one thing I’d worry about. Stereotypes don’t bother me too much, because everyone is their own individual being rather than just a forced component in some sort of groupthink (at least, they shouldn’t).

Hitto and Win_for_life like this.
  4. Sawako Kuronuma

Sawako Kuronuma Fapstronaut

My Journal
    If I was dating yes that would matter to me, I know everyone is different but there are some nationalities that I'm not too fond of and would refuse to date. For me it's not how they look but rather their culture and how they are, if that makes sense.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  5. Win_for_life

Win_for_life Fapstronaut

If you dont mind me asking, any particular nationalities ?
    Just wanted to know thats all

6. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

I think if you don't want to date someone because of their nationality, provided they tick all of your other boxes, that's racist. If you aren't attracted to them or if you have nothing in common or have different values or customs that conflict, that's valid. But if not, then I don't see how it's not racist to not want to date them just beacuse of where they're from.

Win_for_life likes this.
  7. Win_for_life

Win_for_life Fapstronaut

People do it all the time, you can see people being stereotyped often specially in case of Asian men and western women.

8. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

Yeah, I know... I didn't say it never happens. I said it's racist.

9. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

I’m in an interracial relationship right now, who cares?

Hitto likes this.
  10. btwiseman

btwiseman Fapstronaut

If it is long distance, it can if both countries are not friendly with each other.

11. I'm kind of confused by your question since it has multiple parts the first deals with stereotypes. Every country has them, so what? The second part you mentioned deals with attractiveness. Why does it matter if the person is considered unattractive by either country's norms when that person is attractive to you? Are you more concerned about the possible teasing/disapproval you may encounter from people for dating this person?

Hitto likes this.
  12. Win_for_life

Win_for_life Fapstronaut

Some countries are stereotyped more some are not, moreover if you belong to these countries and are not considered attractive in your own country there is very high chance you will not be considered in dating pool of other countries as well.

13. So I take it you are the one who comes from this highly stereotyped country and you're the one who's not considered attractive by social norms, right? Because if we're not talking about you then we would be talking about someone you met who does fit these criteria but then my same questions would apply, why would any of these things matter if you found the other person to be a good match and that you as an individual were attracted to them?

Hitto and Castielle like this.
  14. I think the person themselves is what counts, unless our values and way of life were too different to blend together. Otherwise if i liked someone and got along with them well, it wouldnt matter where they are from or what stereotypes were in play.

SilentJay313 and Hitto like this.
  15. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

Nationality doesn't have to be a factor, but it surely can be one. You can feel attracted to another person but decide not to start a relationship in case you feel it isn't going to work out because of cultural differences. A friend of mine (we're both German) was married to an Italian woman, and now he's saying that he won't go for a non-German woman again simply because of the difficulties he had with the language, i.e. when her family was talking at full speed all the time. These are factors that one definitely should consider, and then decide for priorities.

If you're afraid of stereotypes, I'd say you should just talk to the other person during your first dates, talk about cultural differences and expectations, and you can still decide where to go from there.

Personally, I've dated German, Swedish, Russian and Turkish women, and I must also say that I have a weakness for middle-eastern women, but this is only really superficial. In the end, if physical attraction is related to ethniticy at all, it only comes second. Could as well imagine liking African or Asian women. But cultural differences can play a role for the outlook of a relationship, for sure.

Sawako Kuronuma and Win_for_life like this.
  16. My ex's were from different nationalities and cultures. When I was with them I thought we would overcome our country and cultural differences with love but I was wrong. There are some expectations when someone is from a different culture and it will be hard to fulfil. My ex's wanted me to be someone who I wasn't.

It should be added that certain nationalities have more in common than other nationalities and would be a better fit.
    Like:

English and Scotish
    American and Canadian
    French and Swiss
    Welsh and Australian
    Malaysian and Singaporean
    South Korean and Japanise
    Nigerian and Ghanaian
    Ethiopian and Somalian

17. nationality of my exes:
    France, Morocco, Pakistan, United Kingdom, Turkish
    it used to matter for me in the past in the sense i was able for a period to get attracted to only Muslim guys. now i really just would want a guy that with me being a Catholic is not an obstacle

Win_for_life likes this.
  18. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

It's a Hollywood myth that sexual love (in contrast to platonic love, or love towards your enemies) can "overcome" anything. Well, some things may be, but not all that much.

19. Sure it could be a problem, but I hold hope that one day I'll snag me a North Korean girl.

Win_for_life likes this.
  20. Win_for_life

Win_for_life Fapstronaut

Well i hope you get one lol