Can't stop wearing my covid face mask

For discussion about modern politics, politicians, and political and social trends and policies

1. waynebruce

waynebruce Fapstronaut

This is off topic but I am the only person at my work who still wears a facemask. It stopped being mandatory months ago. Also feel awkward not wearing one at market & in public. People at work I'm sure think I'm weird (which is true tbh). I'm not even worried about covid anymore and am vaccinated.
    Anybody else have this issue?

2. Strange. Is it like some OCD you can't control?

Anyway, I sometimes catch myself thinking whether I should wear it here and there, but I still forget that we should still wear it in medical institutions (at least in my country it's still obligatory in such places, but people are, and used to be, reaaaally sceptical).

waynebruce likes this.
  3. waynebruce

waynebruce Fapstronaut

I think I'm just generally awkward in public & it's become like a crutch or something.
    Yeah the only time I'd really feel necessary for safety would b on plane or train or something. Even though I know it probably wouldn't help really.

Resilience 16 likes this.
  4. +Masculinity

+Masculinity Fapstronaut

Have you tried to take it off?

waynebruce likes this.
  5. waynebruce

waynebruce Fapstronaut

Good question I don't wear it all the time in public its just too hot & more & more no one is wearing one. But do at work. (I do work at national park with public from all over the world and a lot of them wear masks & so somewhat justified).
    But yeah i feel more comfortable with one on. Just a weird attachment.

6. +Masculinity

+Masculinity Fapstronaut

Yeah man, I definitely felt a bit weird and awkward when I did it. It's a normal thing, and the fact that you've waited so long means it has become more of investment. At the same time, the only thing you can do is face your fear. Something like meditation can help make you more calm, but at the end of the day if you want to take it off you have to take it off. There will never be a point when you aren't a little afraid to take that first step, so you may as well face it sooner rather than later.

waynebruce likes this.
  7. MaxWellEquation

MaxWellEquation Fapstronaut

I had the same issue before, but honestly, since masks are no longer mandatory, you have nothing to worry about. If some pseudo-smartass tries to "lecture" you about why you're not wearing a mask, you can appropriately lecture him on the current state of affairs and that masks are no longer mandatory.

When I go to the market, I usually am still one of the very few who don't wear a mask anymore. And honestly, I don't feel weird at all. It's the other way around actually. I think it's weird that everyone still wears those things as if people just can't escape the pandemic mode anymore. To me it's weird and tragic.

8. berylliumwages

berylliumwages Fapstronaut

I am the only person that still wears one at my work, and I am the type of person who thinks the governmental/societal COVID response was grossly overblown. I also never got vaccinated. But I do like masks and would strongly prefer that they were still mandatory.

waynebruce likes this.
  9. If you want to wear one still, that's fine, although if it's some kind of crutch ad you say, then maybe it isn't healthy for you. Perhaps you should challenge yourself to stop.

I personally am sooo glad I don't have to wear a mask most places anymore. I have a lot of sensory sensitivities and wearing a mask is terrible to me. Especially since I have glasses, so fogging is an issue. It also makes it difficult for me to breathe, which some people say is a myth, but I don't really care what they have to say, because it's completely true for me.

I only have two clients who still require me to wear a mask. One is a couple whose daughter recently had a baby, and the man in their family got covid and had a really, really terrible experience with it and was hospitalized for a while.

The other is a doctor's office, although most of the employees there have been a lot more lax about wearing their masks when there aren't any patients present. So when the employees all leave for lunch and I start cleaning, I just pull my mask down.

Aside from that, I don't wear my mask anywhere anymore really. Which I'm very grateful for.

waynebruce likes this.
  10. waynebruce

waynebruce Fapstronaut

That's interesting u think you'll continue wearing one for other diseases& stuff in the future? I imagine a lot of folks feel the same. I think I would in confined spaces or travelling.

11. waynebruce

waynebruce Fapstronaut

Its opposite here in rural AZ U.S. probably 3 to 1 not wearing them. I pretty much respect everybody's right to choose. I just personally have this weird mental attachment I need to get over. But least of my issues.

12. berylliumwages

berylliumwages Fapstronaut

Not for non-COVID diseases and not for travel. I can't say for certain why I still wear one at work. Probably some social anxiety or self-esteem issues. But now that I think about it, it's only a work thing. When shopping I don't bother. I suppose the difference is the expectation to interact with people at work but not at the store, especially with self-check out. The mask at work might be my big "keep out" sign.

waynebruce likes this.
  13. waynebruce

waynebruce Fapstronaut

That's a lot like how I'm feeling too.

14. FirefromAbove

FirefromAbove Fapstronaut

No. I find them restrictive, uncomfortable, and painful. At times it would feel like my ears were about to be sheared off my head.

Plus I dont let myself live in fear.

The only thing masks were good for was laughing in class or at work during times when its socially unacceptable

15. 100 Days

100 Days Fapstronaut

It was mandatory to wear a mask at my work when COVID started up until March 15th of this year.

During this time period, which stretched over two years, I didn’t catch a cold or get sick even ONCE. No cold, no flus, nothing. and I usually catch about two colds a year.

But since taking the mask off March 15th, I have now caught two colds! One in April, and another one right now!

This kind of looks like evidence that the mask had prevented me from catching a cold. I am also around a lot of customers each day.

Starting tomorrow, I am going to begin wearing a mask again!

16. John Denverrr

John Denverrr Fapstronaut