Carbs, Testosterone & Libido

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Supplements' started by Rev2.0, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

I'm 55 y.o., 6 feet tall, about 180 lbs in good health. I've been on a lifting and nutrition regimen for about the last 3 years targeted to build strength, add some muscle (I'm an ectomorph), trim up my midsection and raise my T.

I've been diligently tracking my daily calorie intake and macros and was wondering recently why I didn't seem to be making gains in the gym, wasn't sleeping well and seemed to be less horny than I should be having not O'd from fapping or sex for about 6 months now. As I reviewed my log I saw my average daily carbohydrate intake ran between 180 to 200 grams a day, sometimes as low as 160 and a binge day maybe getting up to 220-230. Doing some research, apparently that's substantially too low for a guy of my size lifting heavy 3-4 times a week. Some sources said I should be at 300g a day or even more. Well I don't want my waistline to expand so I'm not planning to go that extreme but in the past week of consciously staying over 200 I have noticed more energy and yes I'm hornier. I'll try gradually ramping up to around 250g a day and see if I can get some gains in the gym without my bodyfat blowing up. The challenge is that 250g of carbs a day is a TON of food and I don't want to be eating nonstop every day.

This has all been an interesting revelation to me and I'm interested if anyone else has had similar experiences? Supposedly a low carb diet is bad for your T and I seem to have confirmed that recently.

Bijug001 and i89rt5 like this.
  2. jcl1990

jcl1990 Fapstronaut

I have no idea about this. I have been experimenting recently though with eating a higher carb diet vs a higher protein diet. The thing that bothers me the most about eating a lot is how my stomach feels. I feel sluggish, buildup of air in the intestinal tract, basically makes me feel uncomfortable and miserable. My job is also one where I am walking around all day though, too. Sometimes bending down to stock a shelf, things like that. So eating too much on work days probably has a lot to do with this discomfort.

3. Coolbreeze

Coolbreeze Fapstronaut

Lower the weights, increase the reps. Do 30 reps, take 1 minute rest, do it again. 5 sets for exercise and about 6 exercises per workout. Also, a small caloric surplus is more than enough, make sure you get enough protein (supplement with protein powder if needed). If you do all of this correctly, it is impossible not to grow. Most people just stare at their phone too much during workout or seriously lack intensity. If you're not pushing yourself hard, your gains will be average or below average