1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Career Path help

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by StrongWolf, Dec 26, 2018.

1. StrongWolf

StrongWolf Fapstronaut

Hello,

I am a 26 year old male. Like many of you here, I am also on the NoFap Journey and have been trying to stick to it for the past 3 years.

I would really appreciate some advice or direction pointers for what to do in my current life situation.

My story is the following: I've had one passion since I was young: video games. I've managed to transform this passion at the age of ~19-20 years by taking some game design courses to become a game designer. I've then gotten a job an started working in the video game industry and have been for the past 5.5years. I've loved playing video games a lot and I also enjoyed making them. However, after so many years, this passion of mine died out. I can't exactly tell if this was a natural lose of the passion or I was also influenced by the things that the community of NoFap feels about video games in general: that they are time-wasters or a mix of both. In some aspects, I agree that many games can be time wasters, and I would like to contribute more to society than a time waster.

Anyway, at my last job, the passion for making video games died out so much, that I couldn't take it anymore. I've also gotten sick of the corporate world. I decided to quit and move in with my parents for a few months to reevaluate my life and career paths that I should take forward.

If I could make an analogy: it's like music and making music for a while, but then quitting, because I don't enjoy making it. I will still enjoy listening to music, I just don't feel like making music anymore.

However, I'm not convinced that I want to work in the video game development industry anymore. I might still like playing them once in a while, but I don't feel like making them anymore, I just feel that it's a thing that no longer fullfills me.

Now comes the tricky part: video games are the one and only true passion I've had in my life and now I've come to the conclusion that it's not something I want to pursue any further. How do I find my purpose, a new career?

Now, I know what you will say: think about what other things you like, but I've already done this. Here are a bunch of things I'm interested in (some more than others):
    -nature (enjoy hikes)
    -sports (gym, runnning)
    -reading (self-help, psyihology)
    I don't really know what kind of job I can make out of these above.
    I would experiment with some new stuff to get a hang of what I like and what I don't, but I don't know where the fuck to start from? Should I go to a new college? Which one? I'm scared, angry & confused, really.

That's about it, I feel kind of lost and useless right now, like I've missed a lot groundwork that I should've set by now in my life, and now I'm behind as fuck, while all other have theirs figured out (even though I know it's not exactly like that).

If you guys could give me any pointers at all: books, sites, other sub-reddits, advice of your own that you think will help me, I would deeply appreciate it.

2. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

I don't know if this is helpful, but there are several job options from your other interests - psychologist, therapist, personal coach (if you're interested in helping people work out their problems), gym instructor, gym teacher, etc.

3. 1 Tes. 4:3

1 Tes. 4:3 Fapstronaut

You could consider being a fitness/nature/self-help blogger or youtuber. I have seen successful youtubers/coaches that also do self-help like Elliott Hulse, and others that mix nature and fitness (Mark from Mark's daily apple for example).

I am a part time fitness blogger myself, and it is quite a fulfilling thing (you help people that ask you for advice once you gain some popularity).

4. StrongWolf

StrongWolf Fapstronaut

I like fitness, but I'm struggling myself at it. I don't want to be spending 8 hours in the gym helping others. Nor do I want to become a self-help coach. I know I might sound pretentious, but these just aren't things I would even enjoy trying out.

5. Mattsfreedom

Mattsfreedom Fapstronaut

There are careers in trail building, Park rangers, and lots of other careers in national and state parks.

1 Tes. 4:3 likes this.