1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Catholicism,Calvinism,Reformed Theology & Addiction Debate

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

Feel Good Cool Worship or Hymns and Hard Seats?

1. Feel Good Cool Worship?

25.0%
  2. Hymns and Hard Seats?

50.0%
  3. I don't even care!

25.0%
  1. In my orthodox Presbyterian church, we do not use a cross. The opinion is divided, but we don't have one.
    We also do not celebrate Christmas in the church as this is a roman catholic holiday and is not expressly required in the bible. We follow the regulative rule of worship.

2. I'll put you down as a Yes then.

3. The fact that Jesus was crucified on an actual cross is contested and debatable as many versions of the bible say tree. Either way we are not to but our faith into useless symbols.

4. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

You're giving me sources written by Jehovah witnesses, Mormons and Muslims. All who deny the divinity of Christ and fall outside of mainstream Christianity, and you would rather follow what they said over the bible? You're not building a very good case for yourself if you want to claim yourself to be a true follower of Christ. If you want to convince me, why not try to quote me something from the early church fathers? you know... the people who were the direct disciples of the disciples of Christ.

EthanW. and FranzVenator like this.
  5. I'll put you down as a yes then.

6. You can feel free to believe what you want to but the history speaks for itself. There is a plethora of evidence that proves that the cross has been used by multiple occult circles for thousands of years before Christ was crucified. The cross is just like Christmas and Easter. Just more paganism appropriated by Catholics. If you knew Christ you wouldn't get all triggered when someone devalued some useless pagan symbol.

need4realchg and Deleted Account like this.
  7. SolitaryScribe

hmmm I feel like I've had this conversation with you before. You're that one guy that doesn't believe in the trinity right?

8. No. Wrong guy.

Deleted Account likes this.
  9. SolitaryScribe

So you do believe in the trinity?

10. What difference does it make? I thought we were talking about the pagan cross. You out of bible verses already?

11. SolitaryScribe

No no, I'm just curious if I'm even talking to a Christian. Because if you aren't then there is no sense in getting into a debate with you. It would be like trying to debate an atheist using the bible... doesn't make sense.

12. Did John Calvin believe in the necessity of Baptism for salvation I forget?

13. No, that's a work. We obey God and baptize as a sacrament.

14. Theres no sense in getting into a debate with me anyway if youre gonna ignore historical fact.

15. What is John Calvin's definition of a sacrament?

16. baptism and the lord's supper

17. I was thinking more what a sacrament is exactly.

18. In Reformed theology, the Lord's Supper or Eucharist is a sacrament that spiritually nourishes Christians and strengthens their union with Christ. The outward or physical action of the sacrament is eating bread and drinking wine. Reformed confessions, which are official statements of the beliefs of Reformed churches, teach that Christ's body and blood are really present in the sacrament, but that this presence is communicated in a spiritual manner rather than by his body being physically eaten.
    Lord's Supper in Reformed theology - Wikipedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord%27s_Supper_in_Reformed_theology

19. "In Reformed churches, only believing Christians are expected to partake of the Lord's Supper. Further, partakers are expected to examine and prepare themselves for the sacrament."

I like that part.

"Zwingli also did not believe that the sacrament actually confers the grace which is offered in the sacrament, but that the outer signs of bread and wine testify to that grace and awaken the memory of Christ's death."

In reformed sacraments grace is never conferred by the sacraments (Baptism not producing salvation)? How is grace conferred to the believer?

need4realchg likes this.