Check Out Our Catholicism, Calvinism, Reformed Theology & Anything Debate

For Fapstronauts of the Protestant Christian faith.

1. I disavow hillsoongs, for orthodoxy anyday

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. its getting hot over in the Christian group if you know the history haha

3. From: @stands to reason
    The 4 RULE priciples came to me by the Holy Spirit. It's common sense. Is common sense wisdom? It holds godly spiritual power to destroy PMO immediately, contains godly power to end PMO forever for all who use it. Let those who suffer get encouragement that works with order from disorder.
    The 4 RULES to End Your Sexual Sin

RULE #1

"TOUCH NOT your genitalia, other than urination or bathing."

RULE # 2

"IMMEDIATELY LOOK / THINK away from teasingly erotic, seductive temptation."

RULE # 3

"INSTANTLY PRAY filling your mind with memorized scripture." (KJV)

RULE # 4

"TRUST JESUS CHRIST; boldly take up your weapons, stand in your armor."

4. Persecution is a stain on our shared histories. I think you would agree....

Super Mike James likes this.
  5. stands to reason wont come to the group but he gave me permission to post his work. I wish he would join he a HOOT!

6. I can learn from you. Thank you

7. LavaMe

LavaMe Fapstronaut

I don’t disagree and might say the same thing myself. But I’d put a little Catholic nuance on it. We’d all agree that Adam and Eve did not sin until they ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. So it is possible that man not sin. Catholics would add it is possible for us here on earth now to not sin with God’s grace, which is how the Blessed Virgin Mary, who was full of grace, was able to not sin. It is therefore possible for all of us, by growing in God’s grace, to stop sinning.

In my opinion one of the big negatives to come from the Reformation was a fatalistic view of man sinning. We can become more holy in this life. We can stop committing serious sins (mortal for Catholics) and also even to stop committing minor sins (genial for Catholics). The problem is we often don’t want holiness. We like our particular sin and won’t give it up. We are like Gollum from LOTR in clinging to something which twists and kills us.

8. I love the LOTR!! and as a reformed man i couldent disagree more haha! love you though

9. Are you a Narnia guy? Fantasy from the other side of the religious isle....

10. No im Tolkien all the way

11. Deleted Account likes this.
  12. Deleted Account likes this.
  13. RPN

RPN Fapstronaut

New guy here, joining the Debate. For now, I'll just say hello :)

14. miXhal

miXhal Fapstronaut

Remember, God guided him. With His blessing, nothing is impossible, I believe that we can all agree on this. So why wouldn´t you believe that?
    And if you really need "realistic" answer, there didn´t have to be every single insect that exist (provided that all of them even existed at that time), the other ones could have evolved afterwards.
    See? If I need to give explanation of this world, I have to fall into evolution speculations and all sorts of weird explanations. We are not atheists here, just trust the Lord!

15. I believe in evolution, I just think that is how God works. And the Noahs Ark scripture is a story to tell of a greater meaning of Judgment and resurrection.

16. LavaMe

LavaMe Fapstronaut

I like both. But my favorite of the group of English authors and friends from that era is G. K. Chesterton. He was influential in my conversion.

The variety, number, and omnipresence is amazing. I probably have twenty different insects that try to make their home in my home. If we get out into the yard then there might be something like fifty or more variety insects I could find. I try to tolerate them so long as they stay out of my home.

I’m curious what your exact objection is?

17. The Tudors – Bloody Mary Counter Reformation. The nickname implies that she was hated throughout the land for the burning of Protestants in her bid to restore Catholicism to England, but this was not the case. The nickname is the result of Protestant propaganda that portrays those burnt as heroes and Mary as an evil Queen.

18. Total Depravity: Because of the Fall of Adam

Sin has affected all parts of man. The heart, emotions, will, mind, and body are all affected by sin. We are completely sinful. We are not as sinful as we could be, but we are completely affected by sin.

The doctrine of Total Depravity is derived from scriptures that reveal human character: Man’s heart is evil (Mark 7:21-23) and sick Jer. 17:9). Man is a slave of sin (Rom. 6:20). He does not seek for God (Rom. 3:10-12). He cannot understand spiritual things (1 Cor. 2:14). He is at enmity with God (Eph. 2:15). And, is by nature a child of wrath (Eph. 2:3). The Calvinist asks the question, "In light of the scriptures that declare man’s true nature as being utterly lost and incapable, how is it possible for anyone to choose or desire God?" The answer is, "He cannot. Therefore God must predestine."

Calvinism also maintains that because of our fallen nature we are born again not by our own will but God’s will (John 1:12-13); God grants that we believe (Phil. 1:29); faith is the work of God (John 6:28-29); God appoints people to believe (Acts 13:48); and God predestines (Eph. 1:1-11; Rom. 8:29; 9:9-23).

LavaMe and Deleted Account like this.
  19. Tell the full tale. If God predestines to save some then he predestines some to damnation. They were born (not of their will) they are completely sinful (not of their choice but Adam's) they will burn eternally in hell (because God willed not to save them).

I see infant baptism as the ultimate symbol of faith in God's grace. The baby did nothing to deserve forgiveness (to the point of not even understanding or assenting to or professing faith), but as you established deserved every punishment. So we freely give eternal life through baptism which actually produced the regeneration you talk about.

LavaMe likes this.
  20. LavaMe

LavaMe Fapstronaut

As I Catholic I would certainly agree that man, in a general sense, does evil, is a slave of sin etc. And I would agree that God’s grace is necessary for any good work. But I would not agree that Holy Scripture teaches that all men are nothing but wretched. At the very least we have Adam and Eve before the fall.

The exact nature of how our will interacts with God’s grace leading to our salvation or damnation is certainly a difficult subject. In my understanding Calvinism essentially reconciles it by saying man has no part. God either chooses to save a man or send him to Hell. The Catholic idea is one where man cooperates with God’s grace to achieve salvation, or he rejects it leading to his damnation. But man’s will is definitely instrumental in the destination.