1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Chess ADDICTION 'Should i wanna permanently stop?'

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Zillion, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Zillion

Zillion Fapstronaut

I wasn`t even aware or familiar with chess before last year, but I`ve been learning chess.

I used to play chess with players online, it`s a really great exercise for the brain. Now I have enough talent in chess to defeat a player with an average skill set.

so tell me is that better to completely stop the chess for now or is that okay to play chess with a condition of limited time period?.

tell me all of your suggestion 'not only for chess about the generalize game addiction'.

have you ever played or get addicted to chess?. just share your thoughts on them!. see you tomorrow, have a great day dude/girl.

2. yes, I like chess. And it turns out I'm damn good too. I never felt like I had an addiction to it however

3. You are afraid of being addicted to chess ?

4. An addiction to chess — if that's really what you have — could be a replacement for an addiction to PMO.

PMO is desperately unhealthy.
    Chess is healthy.

As long as your chess isn't interfering with living a normal life, I wouldn't worry about it. If you love it enough, and study it thoroughly, who knows how well you'll do…

5. Minsc

Minsc Fapstronaut

I echo @Mordobarn. As long as it doesn't get in the way of supporting your life then all is good. Setting aside some "me" time to play chess, or any other hobby, sounds reasonable.

@Zillion I'm interested in giving chess a try, care to schedule a game? Been years since I played.

6. Protagonist

Protagonist Fapstronaut

I was addicted to chess a while ago, well actually roughly 6 months ago. But I've cut it down permanently now. During that time I felt like I had only 2 things in my life, school and chess. When I was not at school I used to play chess straight for hours, and I even used to skip classes at school to play chess. The addiction lasted roughly 3 weeks or so and then I suddenly stopped playing, now it's been a long time since I last played chess.
    Well, I had reasons to stop, but it's completely your wish whether you want to play or not. It's a great sport tbh.
    It's your decision to stop or continue or to limit it.

7. Minsc

Minsc Fapstronaut

@Protagonist I wonder howyyou define addiction. Something a person gets into heavily for a few weeks, then stop, I'd call a fad. Addiction is long-term. Something a person has repeatily attempted to stop yet keeps doing. At least that's how I view it.

Regardless how one defines it, too much of a thing can be harmful. The skill to see when something is becoming overbearing is definitely something I could better develop.

8. Protagonist

Protagonist Fapstronaut

I liked playing it at first, but then I kind of thought it's not worth it and I had other things to focus on and since it was consuming most of my time. I used to play chess even in my dreams when asleep. When I saw someone in real life I used to think of them as chess pieces and stuff.

Mordobarn likes this.
  9. Fucking hell!

I remember when sleep deprived after playing Resident Evil all night, when my science teacher started yelling in class I 'saw' his head explode and a monster come out.

10. 5ynic

5ynic Fapstronaut

before I offer any advice - are you playing chess face to face, online, or both? If face-to-face, is it in a social environment, a club, or with one friend?

11. GeneralismoKilgore

GeneralismoKilgore Fapstronaut

Find a club and something that does live playing once a week, go there and play. Best way to keep it sharp and have fun with it.