1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Christian, if you feel like giving up...

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. [​IMG]

Then I saw in my dream, that the Interpreter took Christian by the hand, and led him into a place where a fire was burning against a wall. Someone was standing by the fire, continually throwing great amounts of water upon it, attempting to quench it; yet the fire burned higher and hotter. Then Christian asked, "What does this mean?"

The Interpreter answered, "This fire is the work of grace which is operating in the heart. The one who casts water upon it, desiring to extinguish and put it out—is the Devil. Now I will show you the reason why the fire burns higher and hotter—in spite of all the Devil's efforts." So the Interpreter took Christian around to the back side of the wall, where he saw a man with a jar of oil in His hand—which He continually but secretly, cast onto the fire.

Then Christian questioned, "What does this mean?" The Interpreter answered, "This is Christ, who continually, with the oil of His grace, maintains the work already begun in the heart. By this means, notwithstanding all that the devil can do—the souls of His people are graciously preserved.

And in that you saw that the man stood behind the wall to maintain the fire—that is to teach you that it is hard for the tempted believer to see how this work of grace is maintained in the soul."

The Pilgrim's Progress (1678)
    by John Bunyan

judson likes this.
  2. This is a great image, and its opposite is also true. We can increase the flame of lust within us by continuing to feed it little by little all day throughout the day with glances and idle thoughts, keeping the fire kindled despite our efforts to put it out through prayer and other spiritual practices.

When we are the person both fighting the fire and fighting to keep it burning, how miserable we are! We are truly at war with ourselves!

judson likes this.
  3. Good point! As you imply, the other danger is to blame it all on the devil and take no responsibility for our own behaviour.

Tao Jones likes this.