1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold Shower Challenge!

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by diesel2256, Apr 9, 2014.

1. diesel2256

diesel2256 Fapstronaut

Apparently, there are a lot of benefits of taking cold showers and many people swear by it. These clips mostly talk about fact that you can force yourself to deal with things your body doesn't enjoy. Basically, your willpower and perseverance increase. Some others claim that it helps with losing weight, increasing blood flow, stronger immune system, and increasing testosterone levels. Sounds like a good deal to me!

Length of challenge? 30 days; at least one 5 minute shower per day. This shouldn't be a problem for the iron will of NoFappers, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlHZOb5Obbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb0h8ZKvJW4 (TEDx talk)

Feel free to look around, lots of interesting stuff on this.

I'll be starting tonight and making a counter. Who's with me?

2. Mark

Mark Distinguished Fapstronaut

Hi diesel, I'll tell you what mate, I've just gone 136 without an O but I tried the cold shower thing and I managed a minute TOPS (and trust me it was the campest 60 seconds of my entire life!;)) so I totally respect and admire anyone who can do this because (even though I hate to admit it!) I gave up after 2-3 attempts so I shall be watching this thread for encouragement! All the best mate:eek:

3. Watchmychops

Watchmychops Fapstronaut

Hey!
    Well done for giving cold showers a go, good to see more are getting involved!
    unfortunately I would start around the same time with you but I'm already ahead on day 4 of my cold showers! and i'm telling you man its worth it! even on day 1 the energy you get afterwards is phenomenal, my advice is to take it easy on the temperature settings the first time round because you don't want to get a massive shock when you put it straight onto cold (which I did and it hurt really bad haha), instead let it slowly get colder and then by around days 5-10 you should be able to just put it straight to cold :)

Doing this parallel to nofap as well for 30 days can also help give you lots of self control and discipline, also its handy whenever you feel the urge to fap you just jump straight in the cold shower to put your mind off lol

I hope someone joins you for day 1 mate, good luck!! :)

4. diesel2256

diesel2256 Fapstronaut

Thanks for the encouragement Watchmychops!

5. Hey man,

I'm down to do this with you. I will decrease my water temperature slowly as you recommended. Let's start tomorrow.

6. Alexander_D

Alexander_D Fapstronaut

Hey guys, i've tried the cold shower maybe 4 or 5 times. I get a rush, you feel great when you realise that you can handle it and it's a huge reward when you get out of the shower. A good way to start the day.

But i've found that I get flu like symptoms/headache or just plain sick for about two days after. Has anyone else had this? I myself dont think it's sensible for me to go for them, but it's a shame because I hear lots of testimony about how great they are for others.

Anyway, good luck!

7. I'm surprised to read stuff about cold showers here on NoFap. I've been taking cold showers for more than five years now. It was part of my karate training and I just got used to it.

I didn't know people were talking about this here. It says, indeed, that it's healthy. What I usually do is I start with a hot shower to wash myself and after that, I switch to cold and I stay there until I have enough. Sometimes I do hot/cold/hot/cold/hot/cold for 30 seconds each. Always start with hot and finish with cold.

8. Darkwing Suck

Darkwing Suck New Fapstronaut

Hey I'm on day 5 of cold showers, seems like a great excercise in self discipline and they are invigorating.

9. salvage

salvage Fapstronaut

I'm in! Cold showers everyday!

10. diesel2256

diesel2256 Fapstronaut

Alright man, let's do this. Just don't encourage me too much, otherwise I'll find yet another challenge to start next week and you won't be able to keep up! Bwahaha

11. Getagrip

Getagrip Fapstronaut

I'll skip on the cold showers. We don't have central heating in this country (winter isn't cold enough) and so the water coming out of the cold tap in winter can be as warm as 5 degrees C! I might go into cardiac arrest at the thought of it.

12. diesel2256

diesel2256 Fapstronaut

I am not a smart man.

Normally, I'm not a screamer. I don't yell when in pain and my tolerance is relatively high. Yeah... I screamed like a bitch this morning and probably lasted 60 seconds. Damn it. 30 more days of this? *whimpers*

I made a commitment and I'm not backing down, even though day one was borderline self inflicted torture.

13. bean

bean Fapstronaut

Did a cold shower a week ago. Jumped in today and was freezing my balls off. But I thought of all my goals and I thought to myself: I can do 5 minutes.

Watch that TEDx talk. That's what inspired me.

14. Hey man, keep at it. I've been doing it virtually non-stop cold showers for around six months now (There was a week where I did hot showers, and I missed a day here or there).

You get used to it. Granted, I live in a warm climate so it's easier and actually welcome after waking up pretty hot. Either, those first few times you experience icy coldness, try to stay as long as you can. I can do it for around ten minutes now, and I always feel pretty good and refreshed for the day afterwards.

15. diesel2256

diesel2256 Fapstronaut

I'll do better tomorrow.

Normally, I like my showers steaming hot. That might be part of the extreme reaction I had. Whatever, I'm determined to do this.

16. Piotr

Piotr Fapstronaut

I'm used to take 1-minute cold shower 2-3 times a weak. I noticed that it make me more tough on pain and cold.

17. Dp44

Dp44 Fapstronaut

I'm in. I normally take cold showers whenever an urge comes along, not in a regimented and scheduled fashion. I'll get the best of both worlds. A regular 5 minute cold shower every day after the gym as well as a cold shower whenever a major urge strikes.

18. GlodiusMaximus4

GlodiusMaximus4 New Fapstronaut

Good idea, I'm down! This should be interesting to say the least.

19. Js5

Js5 Fapstronaut

I slowly tried this the other night when I was feeling the temptation. By slowly, I mean started warm then went cold for like 30 seconds, back to warm, cold again, etc. Cold showers definitely make you uncomfortable. But actually, I found putting on headphones with my favorite music for around 20 minutes was more effective for me. Just focusing on the rhythm, music and lyrics (as long as it's not music that encourages naughty behavior lol) was really useful and - like music does - healing. I think the headphones are an important part of this so the music is the main thing going on - and not just being listened to while doing something else.

20. Anonimato

Anonimato Fapstronaut

Is it prudent to do it if my throat hurts? Will I get sick?