1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold showers and why I think it works for nofap/noPMO

Discussion in 'New to NoFap' started by nfnpmo, Jul 5, 2021.

1. nfnpmo

nfnpmo Fapstronaut

I've implemented cold showers for a year+ now and I'd truly believe that it is a big contributor to my progress. As you'd would have known, cold showers is a hot topic in the nofap/nopmo sphere where many advocates/youtuber speak about it.

As seen in my other posts, I highly talk about cold showers being amongst the top habits that'll ultimately help you in your nofap/noPMO journey. Amongst others, exercising, intermittent fasting and having hobbies.

To begin, the reason it is said to work is because it gives some sort of mental and physical resistance towards things u don't like. My further explanation to that is - when you've already advance in something difficult first thing in the morning (ie take a cold shower in the morning and going through it even tho you don't like it), it gives you a mental and physical resistance as if it was a high score. Hence, anything after that which doesn't beat that high score shouldn't bother you (ie your urges in the day). Note that the this "high score" that I speak about doesn't last forever and it diminishes as you comfort yourself throughout your day. Thus, it should be implemented as a daily habit that will renew that mental and physical resistance.

For me, cold showers and intermittent fasting help me control my desires such that I get to choose what I put my body go through and keep my desires under my control. Extending from that, I also feel a better control of my urges and frustration from noPMO. As I understand, all desires (for food, comfort, sexual desires) are interconnected, so controlling one will affect others as well (will write about this in my next postings).

Successful people enjoy beginning their day with something difficult, whether its gym, cold showers or even waking up early morning itself. Legends like Wim Hof implement ice cold shower and his breathing method (which I've incorporated in my life for the past 6 months, been really helpful). When your first action in the morning is doing something that your mind and body begs you not to do, best believe that throughout your day, you'd have control over whatever your brain tells you to do. Hence, performing difficult activities, preferably first thing in the morning will keep you mentally in control over your desires and difficulties.

Past 6 months I've been in search over more habits to incorporate in my day to strengthen my mental and physical. The best three I'd recommend is cold showers (for the reasons mention above), intermittent fasting (restricted eating, being able to tell my body when to eat instead of it telling me, is truly mentally strengthening) and wim hof breathing (feels amazing putting my body in the state of panic in the beginning of my day). Perhaps I'll explain the last two habits in further posts. Once you understand the benefits that these difficulties give you, you'd love it and constantly look for more, your mindset changes to loving difficulties and that'll change how you look at things in life. All beginning with your habits. I implore those reading to take one step and a time, implement uncomfortable habits in your daily lives, to increase your tolerance to difficulties and slowly making you love them.

Hope the above benefits.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    J29 likes this.
  2. I have some experience with cold showers, but I don't want to do them regularly. I don't think it's that necessary. Yet I understand their benefits completely.

-J29

nfnpmo likes this.