1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold showers bullshit

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by IggyIshness, Mar 7, 2017.

1. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

http://www.thebroscientist.com/bullshit-cold-showers-youve-told-far/

I'm never taking a cold shower before going to bed because it activates your fight or flight system therefore actually preventing sleep and making it harder to sleep. While warm, typical showers before help and improve sleep.
    The psychological part of it is pretty good, But im having second thoughts about it again about doing it. Now i think im getting sick so im laying off it even tho my goals this week is to take at least 4 minimum. What are your thoughts?

2. They can make one less horny. Because when one is cold the last thing body wants to do is procreate. It would not last very long tho since you would be back to normal in few minutes after leaving a shower. But it makes sense to me that it could be a useful too to put down some emergency fires. Never did them and never will tho. I just don't like cold shower. Nope, not for me. The discipline exercises part? Well, it can be exercised in different ways.

Whackless likes this.
  3. Lyart

Lyart Fapstronaut

I also dnot shower cold very often.
    Only in summer or when I know that I have to give myself a boost in the morning.

In the evening, I take hot showers.
    They really help me to fall asleep very quickly.

Whackless likes this.
  4. For me, cold showering before bed actually makes me very sleepy. I turn the heated blanket on for 1 hour, and have an ice cold shower. I do this when I wake up in the morning and I also have a cold shower, when I can handle it, at night as well. I guess everyone is different. I don't really believe all the pseudoscience health benefits that everyone goes on and on about, but for me, it is about self control. The water temperature I shower in is anywhere between 6-8 degrees C, so it's really cold. I try to stay under until my skin turns red, until I get a brain freeze headache and I know I'll get that amazing feeling of coming out and feeling like my towel is a beacon of heat. I focus on my breathing when I am in the shower, so they breaths I take are long and deliberate. I like the focus cold showers give me.

Whalenz, Dziki007 and MrPrince like this.
  5. Dizzy Lotus

Dizzy Lotus Fapstronaut

I don't usually take showers without any warm water at all, as that doesn't feel nice.
    I don't take hot showers either, though. I think the temperature is at about 29°C for me. If I take warmer showers, I usually feel very bad afterwards, and it gets progressively worse. I'm not sure why, I've got some oddities like that.

6. Lyart

Lyart Fapstronaut

Warm water leads to a release of dopamine. I've read that somewhere.

It's proven that cold showers improve your blood flow making you feel awake.

Maybe that's why you feel worse after a warm shower.

7. legolas_01

legolas_01 Fapstronaut

I've taken many cold showers before sleeping in the past and I always easily slept just after.

8. Lyart

Lyart Fapstronaut

If you Google "cold showers wake you up" you can find an interesting article about it on daily mail

9. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

dopamine doesnt make you feel like shit lmao
    I fainted before because of that.

10. I Free I

I Free I Guest

I take cold showers during the day but at night before bed is the only time I take a warm shower . I find this works best for me since I do believe in the whole "fight or flight system" .

Whackless likes this.
  11. Renaissance of Being

Renaissance of Being Fapstronaut

Taking cold showers to help wake you up or help take your mind off temptation is great, but becoming a cold shower purist can have some adverse effects. The first problem that can arise is the increased risk of fungal infections of the skin, especially if you live in the tropics. If one doesn't practice adequate washing habits while taking cold showers regularly then their likelyhood of developing fungal infections, such as ringworm, increase. Also, the shock your body experiences from the cold water triggers your fight-or-flight response which lowers your immune system. Cold showers can be useful, but like most things, practice moderation and space them out a bit.

12. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

They say triggering the fight or flight response actually strengthens the immune system.

Renaissance of Being likes this.
  13. Renaissance of Being

You're totally right. I confused the effects of the flight or flight response with the effects of being consistently stressed out.

14. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

And cortisol is also released into the blood stream during which can reduce testosterone levels lmao

15. Renaissance of Being

Interesting. I guess that's why cold showers are always a go to for a guy who's feeling the urge to yank the chain haha

16. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

My point is that people think cold showers increase testosterone LMAO
    Just like LMAO
    oaml

JustinX likes this.
  17. Lyart

Lyart Fapstronaut

Fapping releases big amounts of dopamine.

Why don't we all just go and masturbate again ?

18. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

What?
    Do you know what Dopamine is? Without it, You wouldn't be able to get out of bed.

19. Lyart

Lyart Fapstronaut

Sure, dopamine is the reason for motivation.

But if dopamine doesnt make you feel bad, why don't you just fap then ?

20. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

Because its excess.

I can also be sarcasic like in ur previous comment.

Dont eat, Because it releases dopamine.
    Dont run, Because it gives you dopamine.
    Dont achieve anything big and be happy, because it realeases dopamine. dont listen to music. Its not the dopamine that makes you feel lile shit, Its the lack of dopamine receptors in your brain that deplete from all the abuse that gives you brain fog, anxious etc