1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold showers. Seems a big thing.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Oct 2, 2018.

1. I recently started cold showers. Slow progress (starting with only hands, feet and head, but now most of the body), but I'm really beginning to enjoy it.
    Ok, I enjoy it after a few minutes.
    I'd like to hear other people's experiences.
    Winter is coming...

Contentful T and Deleted Account like this.
  2. Meditation Monk

Meditation Monk Fapstronaut

I have been washing my hands with pure cold water since I started my guided meditations a few years ago on youtube. I cannot take cold shower, or else I get really bad shivers in the morning and more like a shock treatment. Truth. But I do other things that help me over come my jedi urges, such as seeing the sunset and the sunrise every day, waking up at five am in the morning to eat breakfast and see the sunrise and the light come out and working out and doing yoga. I can also do the hamstring strretch as well too. Peace to you friend.

Contentful T and Deleted Account like this.
  3. I will only say that when you say 'I cannot take cold showers', you are saying what you think, not what you know.
    Try the system: small parts of your body first; later, other parts.
    I told myself that I cannot do cold showers for at least 25 years.

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. I’ve been doing cold showers on and off for more than two years. I recently stopped them because I really hated taking them. I might be able to get back into them but I don’t think it really matters.
    There are probably more important things to do in your life instead.

5. Meditation Monk

Meditation Monk Fapstronaut

Okay, I will give this a try. On the plus side, maybe it will keep me awake to in the morning as well. Best wishes. I will start with my hands first tomorrow morning.

SirErnest likes this.
  6. The thing for me is that I had a warm shower the other day, and it was boring and unsatisfying. Really strange.
    I wonder if the shock of the cold just makes the mind focus a little.
    Hope all is going well.

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. You know that you can do hands. Face is easy, too. Just take your time.
    Little by little we learn that we can do more than we thought.

8. I see your point on 'there are probably more important things', but I do see many things as simply kidding oneself into doing better. Me makes a system that persuades Me that there can be a better Me.

9. Yeah, I know the feeling. I just don’t like the cold feeling either. Even a lukewarm shower could be good.
    I shower in the evening so it’s a bit different than when I’d shower in the mornings.

10. True

SirErnest likes this.
  11. After exercise is a fair bit easier actually. I can even hit my back when still warm from exercise. Big step for me.

12. Blackest Bile

Blackest Bile Fapstronaut

I take cold shower every morning and night. It’s been like 4 months. I can say that it doesn’t get any better with time. I always watch the shower from a distance before take a shower. Like, shit, I know it’s gonna be cold. (My shower is ice cold from the begginning up until the end/so yeah I jump in the shower like a crazy bonobo when the first icy cold stream of water touches my skin).

When I’m done, I always feel better. Like if I was weightless. I feel like I’m less shitty. Especially in these types of morning you simply want to die and skip school/work. Sex related, I don’t know. I’m here to try the NoFap experience because my sex life is a bit frustrating down there. But otherwise, it is for me a pretty good experience and I’m curious about the fact if i’ll keep it that way with the harsh winters that we have down here in Canada!

Briefly. I feel more energetic, happy, less stressed, feel like I’m doing something with my life and I have a boost of confidence (I feel like a gladiator each time I toke a cold icy shower). Don’t go to crazy about it, or DO IT like I do. JUST GO KN. You won’t die. ;) Good luck buddy

13. Nice. Full winter in Canada sounds tough though.
    I do find that through facing the cold a little, there is a surprising positive..

Blackest Bile likes this.
  14. Contentful T

Contentful T Fapstronaut

Love them. Might get back into them. As of now I am not going near them since I caught a cold.

15. Ugh. This is something I've been putting off for a while. Can I just do scolding hot showers instead?

SirErnest and Coffee Candy like this.
  16. Reborn16

Reborn16 Fapstronaut

I currently do hot & cold showers, I try to keep the shower quick (used to be hot only and take ages), and I always end it with cold water.

I've done a few months cold only too. Both seem to make me feel better. But the cold only has a greater effect, and saves on water and gas bills that's for sure....

Recently going through winter, where lots of people around me had the flu, I didn't catch anything. This could just be coincidence. But I have read there's a science to these benefits which include a greater immune system.

I also only wash my hair with cold water now, and there has been a slow improvement in my hair growth (was steadily thinning before).

17. Blackest Bile

Blackest Bile Fapstronaut

Yeah bro it is though and very long... it’s a big change than in the summer. Summer can reach 40 C and winter can go up (down?) to -40 C. Haha. Terrible weather

18. exodusright

exodusright Fapstronaut

I've not been that sensitive to cold showers but I really like going through the countdown and remind myself to be strong routine before taking the bath.

Blackest Bile likes this.
  19. fellowBrother

fellowBrother Fapstronaut

It relieves my anxiety and kind of dulls the need to relapse. Some people live by it, and i do think it is beneficial. I usually do it before a big social event or before I hang out with a girl. It's really not as bad as you'd think. Just sucks during the winter

SirErnest likes this.
  20. zadvanceppa

zadvanceppa Fapstronaut

It is one of the best things I've been doing for 2-3 years. Yes, I've switched to hot showers; but mainly cold. It does remove any depression and it does seem to make me more able to do the difficult tasks. They're harder to do in the winter but more rewarding afterwards.