1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold showers?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Velu283, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Velu283

Velu283 Fapstronaut

I want to start taking cold showers, but I don’t exactly know how to start with them. Should I just jump in?

Deleted Account and Contentful T like this.
  2. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

No.

You should keep procrastinating instead.

Maybe meditate and visualize showers for a while.

Do research on the history of showering.

Interview various people about their shower routine.

Create a 10 year business plan and personal shower manifesto.

Then maybe one day you'll be ready.

Simply starting is definitely not the right way to start anything.

The stars must align first.

Good luck.

3. alexander86

alexander86 Fapstronaut

First day : Cold shower 10 seconds
    Second day : Cold shower 20 seconds
    Third day : Cold shower 40 seconds!!!
    Fourth day : Cold shower 1min 20 seconds
    Fifth day :Cold shower 2 minutes
    And then you are free to have as long of a cold shower that you want.
    This method is very important - doing it any other way can be extremely dangerous.
    Also be aware of the side effects:
    -Stiff nips
    -Being cold
    -Getting shivers
    -Feeling silly
    -Cold footsies

Glad i could help.

SelfControlIsTheGoal and Velu283 like this.
  4. Don't put yourself directly in cold shower, but gradually, start with legs, hands, wipe your body with water then enter gradually. Or you can get to warm water then colder. If the weather is cold try to reduce it to semi cold. By time you will get used to it. Also do not take cold showers straight after exercising, at least give yourself 30 minutes of rest before taking a cold shower. These steps are generally important to avoid health risks, so do not be reckless. It is all about treating with your body temperature in the right way.
    You can't fill a glass with cold water if it was previously filled with hot tea, otherwise it will break. Your body is same. Take things gradually.

5. Bretto

Bretto Fapstronaut

Could start by having a normal shower then make it cold at the end

Just remind yourself that you’re not going to die, you will be warm again soon. It is fear that holds you back.

6. Bretto

Bretto Fapstronaut

I do however like the procrastinating appoach haha

7. davem7

davem7 Fapstronaut

Cold showers great for waking un the morning

8. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

Good advice by @Mr.Chips. I would add that remaining calm and breathing normally (or even deeply) helps.

Bretto and Master Chips like this.
  9. Go right into it. Some people like to start it off warm then slowly make it colder. I prefer the freezing cold approach.

ZelCikal and Contentful T like this.
  10. Contentful T

Contentful T Fapstronaut

I was ending them cold before @Joker_Justice showed up.

Freezing cold from start to finish now.

It is like once you get into the routine of them it is easy. Once you start taking warm/hot showers again you may find resistance starting cold ones again. However this resistance is easily overcome with a little motivation.

I really don't like the mix of temperatures. But some people do not want to part with a hot shower, they enjoy it. So it is your choice, however all cold showers provide benefits in the mind and body that a mix of temperatures do not if you ask me. Or at least I find the coldest setting the entire time builds mental fortitude which starting warm does not build.

ZelCikal likes this.
  11. When I started cold showers first time, I went straight into the bath and put that max. cold water on my body. It´s been shock for the first day. Second was better, third even more and after that it became Beast Spartan Mode! Awesome feeling after that.

Take this quote in your mind while showering:
    "How do you want to achieve anything in your life when you can not stand only two to five minutes under cold water?"

Go for it mate! :emoji_muscle:

12. Flimsyfryingpan

Flimsyfryingpan Fapstronaut

As others have described i usually stated with semi warm temp and would gradually decrease until it was next to ice cold by the end of the shower.
    Think of it as like going into a cold lake. Just dunk your whole body in to get used to the temperature.
    My struggle is that the cold weather is around the corner and i like my hot showers in this frigid winter state.

13. DomadorDeCobra

DomadorDeCobra Fapstronaut

I started recently taking only cold showers (even when it's cold), you start by watering your wrists, then your feet, gradually getting used to the temperature, then neck, chest and back, your hair, then put all your side, from the shouder to legs, and the other side. Now you can slowly imerse under the shower, the discomfort will disappear later, and you'll realize how good it is!

14. Qujing Shen

Qujing Shen Fapstronaut

Start warm and wash your body in the comfort of the heat. Then focus you're mind and transition to as cold as you can bear it. Don't allow yourself to be overwhelmed. The more you can control your response to the cold, the stronger the reconditioning of your body will ultimately be.

Don't switch back to warm. When you've had enough of the cold, get out.

15. cf0

cf0 New Fapstronaut

I started a few years ago, did it for a few months and stopped. Then I started again about 2 months ago. A few tips for consideration:
    • Start slow, aim for 30s the first time, then work up to about 5mins. Any longer than 5mins puts me off the idea because I've got shit to do.
    • Be consistent, have one everyday especially in the first few weeks, otherwise it'll be harder to get back in.
    • If need be, go from warm (not hot), to lukewarm to cold gradually the first few times.
    • Be careful getting out after a 5min cold shower, you might feel a little light headed, or maybe pumped, and definitely euphoric :rolleyes:.
    G'luk

16. What motivates you to put yourself through such pain? As soon as I touch the water my brain screams at me, "FUCK THAT!, NO WAY!".

17. This,

cause it build your discipline and right after that really cold shower you will feel like fucking Spartan GOD.

ZelCikal likes this.
  18. I gradually made the water colder the first time, but ever since then I just hop in with absolutely no hot water running. It's hard as hell, but it makes you feel great afterwards.

Deleted Account likes this.
  19. TruChange

TruChange Fapstronaut

This is important.

I've been taking cold showers for 2 years and I've noticed it's infinitely easier when I do it everyday.

Build the habit first. Do it gradually: one body part at a time, turn the settings a little colder everyday, increase your time by 30 seconds each time.

Get ready to be a tougher human!

Deleted Account likes this.
  20. I agree, that consistency is important.

I got into cold showers at the beginning of my Journey after reading about the benefits. I went 3-4 months and then gave in and had a hot shower. It took me around 2 months to have another go, and only after a friend asked me why I had stopped (he was on NoFap too). Now, it must be getting close to my 2 years straight mark of having cold showers. I'm just glad my friend asked how I was going with it, otherwise things may have been different and I wouldn't be having awesome cold showers every day.

I've been called crazy, silly, and many other things for having cold showers over the years - but to be honest I believe it's been a good choice for me and I don't regret it.

ZelCikal and Anonymous86 like this.