1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

College Decisions. Please Help.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by RightLane, Apr 3, 2019.

1. RightLane

RightLane Fapstronaut

Ok, so first off, I am sorry for putting "Please help" in the title. I just need responses to this, because it is a little much for me to think through on my own. Here it goes.

SHORT VERSION:

I am deciding on whether I should ask my parents to stop funding me, drop out of college and work for the money to go back. I feel I am in a trench of irresponsibility and I am wondering if paying for college myself will help me with that. By dropping out for a semester, I think that I will begin to value education and hard work, neither of which I do right now. Right now, I don't go to class, I watch Netflix and play videogames. I need that to change, but I don't think I can if everything is continually paid for by others and given to me.

LONG VERSION:

I'm 18. I'm a second-semester freshman. Growing up, my parents were actively involved in my life. They loved me and wanted to see me succeed in all areas, from education to PMO. I told them basically everything I was having a problem with (and yes, that does include PMO). In a lot of ways, having them this active in my life was a good thing for me. I was protected from a lot of stupid stuff. However, the one downside to all of this was that I never learned how to make decisions for myself and follow through with those. I never learned self-motivation. And finally, I never learned to value education. In a sense, I never grew up.

Fast forward to my first semester at college. My parents realized that I was only succeeding in what I did because of them, that I lacked self-motivation and responsibility. With this in mind, they decided the best approach to college was a hands-off one. Like most all college students, I was in charge, I made decisions, and, for me, this was the first time ever where I wasn't really reporting back to them. Suffice to say, with no experience in this one can only imagine how it went. I nose-dived. PMO addiction went through the roof, my grades plummeted (for me that is), I gained 25 pounds in the first semester. It sucked.

Christmas break. I went home for Christmas break and I knew that I would have to face my parents again. I am not one to lie, so most everything that went wrong I told them about. After days of talking, mostly with my dad, my parents came to the conclusion that my second semester should be different. With the help of my parents, I came up with a list of criteria that I needed to meet. From daily workouts to eating out less, to no PMO, I had everything covered. And the deal was, you follow this and report back, we continue to pay your tuition. I didn't mind it that much, because it seemed right. It was their money and if they were going to give it to me, I needed to follow the rules.

The only problem was this: I don't go to college anywhere near my parents. My parents don't even live in the same country as me. You can imagine how it went after I left their house to come back to college. I didn't follow through with any of it. No PMO, workouts, eating less, that all went flying out the window once I got back. I wasn't trying to break my word, I just couldn't get myself to do anything I had said I would.

My dad called me a while back telling me I needed to follow through with all this. I did for about two weeks when I decided to call them and tell them that things were going better. Unfortunately, my dad and I don't see eye-to-eye on what "better" is all the time, so while I was trying to tell him things were going better, he heard I wasn't doing well enough yet. We argued for a bit, but nothing was resolved after we finished talking. A week later I got an email from him saying he wanted me to think about several options that he had come up with in regards to tuition and college.

Option 1: Things continue how they've been, with me reporting to him on things like PMO and money mangement, and in return tuition is paid for.

Option 2: Tuition is simply paid for by how well my grades are.

Option 3: Tuition is paid by me.

I didn't mind options 2 or 3, but I loathed option 1. For me, the biggest problem was that this system was destroying my relationship with my father, which sucked. I wanted to have a great, man-to-man relationship with him, and all this reporting and whatnot was interfering with that. To my delight, he told me that he had been feeling the same things too. He and my mom were ready to be done with option 1. However, they weren't quite eye-to-eye on option 2 vs 3. Where my dad was ready to forgive me for breaking my word, my mom felt that I deserved some type of punishment, which I agree on completely. In the end, it seems the decision is up to me.

At first, I was dead set on option 2. After all, it was the easiest. However, the more I thought about it, the more I started to see merits for option 3. See option 3 means that I need to take a break for a semester or two to raise the money for college. I keep wondering if this would be better for me. Also, this last week sucked. I literally haven't gone to any classes this week. I have stayed inside and played video games or watched Netflix all day. And I have PMO'd literally every day of the week. I wonder if providing for myself and cutting off my parents funds will teach me to be responsible.

I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you for reading all of this.

THANK YOU.

Re:Born likes this.
  2. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

Stop thinking about this shit, just start doing. Seriously, go fucking study right now. Come back at the end a day of hard studying then think about what you are going to do.

Re:Born and RightLane like this.
  3. boichywow

boichywow Fapstronaut

Hey man, I'm here for you if you need someone to reach out to.

I don't know how to be responsible for myself or help with these choices, but I know that you can overcome anything with persistence.
    Keep trying at it, even those at the top had to start somewhere, right?

RightLane likes this.
  4. WalkingForward

WalkingForward Fapstronaut

First of all, cancel Netflix, uninstall/sell all your games and don't buy/get any new ones.

Could it be an alternative to sell your computer & phone and then get an old phone without internet, then only using the internet in the college library or something like that?

Eventually you'd want to practice resisting temptations, but right now, what might be best is to just minimize temptations as much as possible.

Do things like studying, exercise and house chores before you do anything else. Don't do any web surfing before you have done what you need to do each day.

For the rest of this semester, try getting your grades as good as possible. I would suggest being grateful for your supportive parents and get your act together.

You might slip up from time to time, just get back on the horse and keep going. Every inch in the direction of improvement matters.

Edit: also consider if you're studying the right thing. Do you find it interesting? Is the job market good for what your studying? Are you motivated to pursue a career related to your studies?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Re:Born, RightLane and Anonymous86 like this.
  5. As difficult as it is and much as school sucks just keep going let your parents pay they are more than happy to they just want to see you finish . Don't worry about what your parent's think just finish . It doesn't make sense to make things more difficult for yourself by paying for it yourself you have not built yourself up yet to do so . Once you finish school you will be ready to help yourself . Leaving school and working and going back and paying for yourself just doesn't work 99 percent of the time . So just stay on the path I know it sucks. Being aware that it does sucks tells you that what you need to do be cause it's uncomfortable in a good way . Being uncomfortable and doing something that is uncomfortable but has good return when your done is a good decision . So let them pay but just do one thing finish that's the only thing you need to do is just finish . Easy decision

RightLane and WalkingForward like this.
  6. As far as pmo you will need work on stopping this to because you will need the energy .

RightLane and boichy like this.
  7. Anonymous86

Anonymous86 Fapstronaut

How would one find out what they like to study, if career builder oriented surveys pointing you in a direction aren't working as well?

RightLane likes this.
  8. WalkingForward

WalkingForward Fapstronaut

I would suggest:

1. Research the job market, look at which jobs/fields are in demand now and at prognoses about the future
    2. Then consider which ones could be a good fit for you
    3. Research the paths of getting a career in those fields. What/how long would you need to study? Do you have the necessary requirements? If not, could you attain the necessary requirements?
    4. Then research what working in those fields is like. Also look at what opportunities a career in that field could give, like for example salary and international opportunities.
    5. If a particular field seems interesting, you could try it out practically. Follow some simple tutorials or read a book about the subject for example.

Doing this will take time and shouldn't be rushed. Ideally you could schedule some time for doing this research.

I hope this makes sense (English isn't my native language) and that it seems reasonable. This is basically what I did and I landed on studying computer science, which is what I'm currently doing (almost 2 years in now). I think I've made a good choice.

Edit: If you are super passionate about a field and have a talent for it, it might be a good idea to pursue it even if the competition on the job market would be tough. Having researched the job market and your options would be good in any case.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    RightLane, boichy and Anonymous86 like this.
  9. Anonymous86

Anonymous86 Fapstronaut

Thanks man! This means a lot.

RightLane and WalkingForward like this.
  10. RightLane

RightLane Fapstronaut

Thanks guys for all the advice. I agree with a bunch of it. I've also been talking to some older guys I know and they all gave me the same kind of advice. Right now it sucks, but I'm going to stick to school. I don't see a huge point in taking a gap semester and like you pointed out, it really doesn't work with most guys. It seems dumb and dangerous in hindsight.

boichy likes this.
  11. ProtagonistOfMyLife

ProtagonistOfMyLife Fapstronaut

I kind of envy how your parents care about you. You should treasure this. Seeing how serious your dad is about this goes a long way of telling how much he loves you and how important you are to him.

Everything my parents ever said or did for me when I had a problem that seriously impaired me and couldn't solve on my own was: "Oh, that sucks. We will always support you." And by supporting me they actually meant telling me:"Oh, that sucks." when I told them about a problem or discussed with them about it.
    A few years in, still studying, I am totally estranged from my parents, though we still love each other and, I hope, care for each other on a certain level we don't really talk with each other often anymore. I don't talk with them about problems or issues in my life anymore and they don't ask. Though, I still help them with their's because I want to.

Again, you should really, really treasure your father and him becoming upset about things that are troubling you. This is such a great way to show caring and love.

Now, back to your topic. It heavily depends on what you are studying. Also what type of job would you want to do in case you temporarily drop out from college?

If you study something with a really bad job market you may want to overthink your major.

I am guessing you are from the US and that your tuition fees are heavy, so you should really strive to work in a after-study job that will return the investment.

Other than that, stick to college for now. Try to implement good routines for learning and heavily communicate with your father and parents.
    Being accountable to someone is such a great motivation and strategy to deal with study-issues.
    Also, make sure to no matter what, not lie. Even if you netflix&chill all day, if at the end of the day your father calls and asks how things went, please don't lie. It will hurt your future progress so much more than when you don't.

If you can't deal with college in this phase of your life right now you can still drop out in half a year or a year. It will not be too late then. Give it your best shot right now, so you don't have to regret anything.
    Trust me, I know what I am talking about. Regretting not giving it your best shot is more painful than anything else.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    boichy and RightLane like this.