1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Colleges and universities are either free or cheap in the other countries and the USA does not.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Countries like Sweden do offer cheap or free education when you want to learn something new and have a high-paying job like accounting, bank/finance, engineering, marketing, nursing, and psychology so that's good. I wish I live in Sweden and I cannot afford that it's so hard to get out of the USA today.

Colleges and universities in the USA are getting more expensive and it has been like this since the Great Recession; including a surge in demand, an increase in financial, aid, a lack of state funding, a need for more faculty members and money to pay them, and ballooning student services. Jobs, entry-level or advanced, in America nowadays require a certification or degree for whatever field you are looking at than it was over a decade ago, nothing else. Managing/supervising, computing, bookkeeping, etc. has become more difficult to come by and more people are going to college/university because of this, that's why the job markets are truly lacking in many ways. Blame American capitalism for this as well as the public. I don't know what I will do in the future but it sucks.

2. magic05

magic05 Fapstronaut

Where does all the tuition fees go to then? If American universities charge several 100.000$ from every student who gets the profit eventually? US universities must have crazy budgets then. Where does the tuition money go to?

Many people argue that taxes are so low in US that's why they can and should charge a lot. But it's not really an explanation. Taxes are lower than in Sweden and many other European countries for sure, but they are not really that low globally.

3. Oh no no no here it comes.

I can already see the counter arguments:
    "Well someone has to pay for it! There's no such thing as free bro!"
    "Education isn't a right bro. Some people can afford it and some can't, nothing we can do about it."
    "If more people go to school, then the quality will magically go down. It's just basic economics bro."

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. They don't want thinkers... Degree holders are fine, tho.

5. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Well, of course 'funded by taxation' isn't the same thing as 'free'. But at least you aren't paying back pots of interest on top of the cost of your course.

Education is absolutely a right, isn't it? Even Americans agree, they don't charge kids to go to high school. If high school isn't enough for an entry level job, then maybe college should be free (or high school should be better).

6. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

7. I'm in France and 40000€ in student debt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sidenote @Taylor25 your signature is awesome, Taylor next to Slipknot made me chuckle