1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Concealed Carry - Off Topic in Off Topic

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by lucentio, Oct 8, 2018.

1. lucentio

lucentio Fapstronaut

I just got a notice that my post in "Thinking about picking up a Martial Arts Style" is "off topic". Not going to argue so I'm re-posting it here along with this question: Does using a weapon change a martial art to something else? I know of traditional martial arts that use blades because that was the most advanced weaponry at the time. I have trained with Philippine Fighting Sticks. The Tactical Defense Institute offers a class in Ground Fighting that includes the use of, and defense from, firearms. Does the use of a weapon disqualify some training as a martial art and not other training? Does it depend on the weapon used? I'm probably splitting hairs here but thought this might generate some discussion. Here is my original post:

I trained one-on-one with a pro boxer for a couple of years, did Tae Kwon Do for about fifteen along with a bit of a couple of other styles. Worked for a while as a bouncer kicking drunks out of a bar. I can take care of myself but I don't consider myself an expert by any means. At age 66 I'm too slow to run away and too old to take a beating. That is why I've been carrying for the last ten years or so. A firearm is not a magic talisman any more than a karate uniform will make you an expert at martial arts. You need to train on a regular basis. I still work out on the heavy bag. Also practice fast draw from concealment, shooting on the move, shooting moving targets, etc. The last thing I want is a "fair fight". My son is into Brazilian Ju Jitzu. I don't plan to take formal classes again but we are setting up a place to train in the basement and he is going to teach me some of the basics. Listening to him it sounds more practical than TKD. IMHO the best self defense technique is situational awareness which may allow you to avoid a fight.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. Not at all and I would argue that there was no valid basis for the gun post to be removed from a martial arts thread because weapon use and defense has always been an integral part of martial arts. Wikipedia's definition of martial arts" Martial arts are codified systems and traditions of combat practices, which are practiced for a number of reasons: as self-defense, military and law enforcement applications, mental and spiritual development;" Martial arts were killing arts and most included sword, knife, staff and ranged weapons training for war and security. Any modern self defense system would be incomplete if it didnt address the use of or teach some protocol for defense against commonly used weapons like guns, knives and sticks.

lucentio likes this.
  3. Themadfapper

Themadfapper Fapstronaut

Martial arts are a sport now. If you really go into a life and death fight with just your bare hands you are a fool.

Guns are for self-defense

4. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

Guns are the way to go. The great equalizer.

I thought this was going to be Glock Talk from the title.

Gotham Outlaw likes this.
  5. lucentio

lucentio Fapstronaut

I'd be happy to talk Glock or others. I use a Glock 35 and a Springfield XDm, both chambered in .40, for competition; a S&W snubbie .38 and a Taurus compact .45 for carry, and a S&W .44 mag (think Dirty Harry) for backpacking in griz country.

LEPAGE likes this.
  6. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

The best way to sneak a calculator into school is to conceal a calculator into a clip.

7. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

What's your favorite caliber of gun?

8. lucentio

lucentio Fapstronaut

Interesting question. Every gun and every caliber has advantages and disadvantages. My .44 mag is great fun to shoot but the ammo is expensive. I have quite a bit invested in my competition guns including multiple holsters, magazines and magazine holders so for the near future I am staying with .40 cal. If I had to do it again I would go with 9 mm. The reason is this: In IDPA I compete in the Stock Service Pistol classification. Most folks in that division shoot 9 mm. The 9 mm ammo is less expensive and kicks less than .40, which puts me at a disadvantage for quick followup shots. I like .45 for concealed carry. IMHO it has more stopping power than either the 9mm or the .40 However, I'm considering getting a subcompact 9 mm for concealed carry, which would have more stopping power than my .38 but less kick than my .45. Another factor to consider is the number of rounds that a gun magazine holds.

Gotham Outlaw likes this.