1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Conditioning to Stop PMO with Pain

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by hydrothunder, Dec 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. hydrothunder

hydrothunder Fapstronaut

It might seem weird but what if causing pain can help in addiction? I don't mean like cutting yourself, that's extreme and should never be done. About three weeks after watching this 7 minute video here, the idea occurried to me. I recommend watching the video although I'll give a quick rundown. The video says that both the rewards system (which release dopamine) and pain system supposed to be in homeostasis (in balance). By doing PMO/MO the body releases dopamine and the body will try to get back in homeostasis by causing pain. This pain is essentially the guilt, the depression, etc that follows after PMO/MO. It is mild or non-existant when you're not an addict. However, when you are an addict, you experience more pain which last longer and this is explained in the video above.

Now it has dawned on me, what if we try to get the dopamine by causing pain to ourselves? Sounds crazy? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. There are different dopamine receptors in the brain and one of them is actived to decrease pain when we receive them (I've read that from this article). Essentially, the idea is to cause pain to release dopamine and get the reward system and pain system but in homeostasis (in balance). Once we can do that, it becomes easier to get out of the addiction.

Only two days ago I've realised that I like to cause pain to myself and when I think of it, it's because it feels good. That's the dopamine being released I presumed.

I'll like feedback/ideas/opinions on what you think about this and if you cause pain to yourself because it just feels good.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
    Golden-Balls and 88991s like this.
  2. smh_fam

smh_fam Fapstronaut

You have to be very careful about what kind of pain you're inflicting on yourself and what the intention is. Otherwise you could end up making things even worse,

Cold showers and exercising are examples of inflicting stress on your body in a productive way and some people have had a lot of success with that strategy.

hydrothunder and 88991s like this.
  3. DeeJ4y

DeeJ4y Fapstronaut

Yeah you might get addicted to pain and start using extreme measures to get the fix since you get used to smaller amounts of pain. Cold showers as mentioned above as well as pain that occurs from existing should be enough.

hydrothunder likes this.
  4. hydrothunder

hydrothunder Fapstronaut

it's not intended to be anything extreme as I mentioned. for me, I like the muscle soreness amongst other things. but for the muscle soreness the day after a workout, I always find myself extending the muscles to get the pain from it

5. hydrothunder

hydrothunder Fapstronaut

This is indeed a concern and I hope no one actually gets addicted to it

DeeJ4y likes this.
  6. Yin&Yang-Yūki

Yin&Yang-Yūki Fapstronaut