1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Controversial thought: Depression can be caused by not challenging your brain

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Aug 16, 2022.

1. I just spend some hours playing Tetris all the time and learning how to solve the Rubik's cube

I can honestly say that my depression is basically gone right now for the moment

I know, this is a very controversial idea. And I know, that maybe this will not apply to some people. But maybe it can be helpful to someone here.

My theory is, that feeling depressed and unmotivated is just your brain giving you signals that it wants to be challenged, that it wants to be entertained.

If you think about it, there is some kind of logic here: You can't feel depressed AND think hard to solve something (or win a game) at the same time. At least that's the case for me.

Now I'm also not wondering why I was feeling depressed in my last semester at uni: Because I wasn't challenged, as the subjects were extremely easy. The other semesters were very challenging, and I didn't feel depressed.

I hope this will maybe help someone here.

At least for myself, I've found the "cure": Just occupy your mind with challenging tasks everyday.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2022
  2. livinginhell

livinginhell Fapstronaut

Looks like you got a point.

3. bertieboy

bertieboy Fapstronaut

Interesting point but were you depressed or just bored out of your mind? Someone with severe depression can find it impossible to motivate themselves to do anything and have absolutely zero interest in anything. They might not even be able to make a cup of coffee in extreme cases and just sit looking at but not watching any old rubbish that comes on TV not even bothering to change channels.

4. Possibly. It’s definitely a multifaceted issue, but what got me out of mine was basically the idea of “what you focus on is what you get.” If you focus on the shitty side of life, you’ll get shitty emotions and actions. If you focus on the good, the good get better.

livinginhell and bertieboy like this.
  5. Then depression is caused by a chemical imbalance I reckon

I must admit that I also can't find any motivation to do anything besides eating, toilet, sleeping, eating and mindlessly surfing the internet. My parents tell me: "Just pick up an instrument, or study something right now for the next semester". They got good ideas what I could do when I got nothing to do. But nothing seems worth the effort really because it seems extremely overwhelming. It's a toxic cycle, you don't have any motivation -> you're bored and depressed -> you don't have any motivation -> ...

Basically, these "mental activities" one could do have the advantage that they don't seem to be "overwhelming". Because, in the end, if you can't win a chess game, can't get a high score in Tetris, can't solve the Rubik's cube: This does not matter! Because you already have used and trained your mind in some way.

It would make a difference if I would pick up chess, and would try to become a Grandmaster. This is overwhelming. But just playing a little bit, even if you will lose every game? That's nothing

It's even something you can do on your smartphone (there is a Rubik's cube app!), so you don't even need to leave the bed if you don't feel motivated to sit down at a desk.

But of course, everyone is different. For me personally, it works. If it was just super big boredom or depression? I would say it's still depression, because as I said: eating, toilet, sleeping, eating and mindlessly surfing the internet (I still struggle with brushing my teeth twice daily and changing my underwear daily). If I was only bored, I think I would find the motivation to try out lots of things everyday. It's just hard to believe for me that it was just boredom and not some degree of depression too

bertieboy likes this.
  6. freedom is coming

freedom is coming Fapstronaut

I can relate.

I am not qualified to speak aboht endorphins or dopamine etc, but I have noticed that on my lowest days cooking a new recipe helps. I hate the challenge at the time, but its so involving that by the end i am just really pleased i did it.

But there's more to it than that - something subconsciously. It's not a momentary happiness but genuinely my depression is lighter.

7. Iwillgetthisright

Iwillgetthisright Fapstronaut

Yes totally it happens with me all the time , when I occupy myself with something like studying or playing , I dont feel depressed at all because my mind is thinking about something else rather than my poor life

8. Kim Wexler

Kim Wexler Fapstronaut

I agree to an extent when it comes to mild depression. Keep yourself occupied with a healthy combination of productive and leisurely activities and you can keep it at bay. As much as eating right and exercising is a platitude, it also works.

Just want to say though, depression being caused by chemicals is a myth pushed by pharmaceutical companies to sell their drugs. Even mainstream psychology sites are waking up to this now. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...is-not-caused-chemical-imbalance-in-the-brain

9. Beekind

Beekind Fapstronaut

It is a valid point.
    I can't elaborate more on this subject, but you scratching the surface of truth.