1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Cross addiction to social media

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by charlemagne_, Oct 12, 2019.

1. charlemagne_

charlemagne_ Fapstronaut

Is anyone here facing these problem? I am currently successful into day 10 of nofap, (no pmo) but I noticed that I have been surfing too much. Can somebody help?

2. Pjco

Pjco Fapstronaut

PMO has some purpose/value in your life, and you are finding ways to fill in that time and social media is somewhat filling that void. I’ve used quite a bit of surfing/scrolling as numbing behaviour, but also don’t feel that it is of any great value. Consider/reflect on the underlying values that PMO served. Is it to escape? What is it usually triggered by?
    Eg. The underlying value of PMO is connection for me (not that I’m “connected” to P - more that PMO fills the feeling of being disconnected). I try to fulfil that value in other ways: getting into nature, exercise, regular social group etc. If there is, say, an intellectual side to P (eg exploring fantasies/fiction/fetish - how can this be explored in other ways. Eg. Non-erotic fiction or even non-fiction; self-help books or biography). Just some thoughts. I’d love to know what you think, and what strategies you come up with (I want to think beyond the idea of just having an ever increasing list “of things that I shouldn’t do” but rather an increasing list of things that give me great joy and satisfaction.

charlemagne_ likes this.
  3. I've recently read this book "Digital Minimalism" by Cal Newport that goes into depth on a good strategy to manage the way you spend your time on digital devices that I found really interesting and useful. :)

4. Fenix Rising

Fenix Rising Fapstronaut

Here are some very useful tips (from reddit):

MotivationYou should really try Cal's 30 day digital declutter process (self.digitalminimalism)

submitted pred 8 mesec * by [deleted]

UPDATE: We have a guide to Cal's Declutter now!

This post might dull this sub for a while but as I've experienced many benefits from embracing digital minimalism myself, I really do want to encourage you to have this experience even if it means people will be spending less time on this subreddit for a while. Looking back on my journey towards finding balance with personal technology, I kind of did a 30 day "digital declutter" myself but I didn't know that was what I was doing until now. Here's some concrete advice I found in the section of the book that outlines the digital declutter process:

• You will be taking a 30 day break from all optional technology. "Optional technology" includes anything mediated by a screen that isn't required for your work, education, or personal life.
    • Create a list of "banned technologies" for this period of time and keep it within your sight as often as possible. Clarity in what is and isn't banned is key.
    • The first week or two will be challenging. You probably have developed a mild to severe addiction to some of these technologies you use regularly and it will show immediately. However, experiencing this detox effect will allow you to make better decisions when you decide what technologies will re-enter your life at the end of the declutter. Using blocking software might be helpful during this phase.
    • Fill your time with high quality offline leisure: Offline Activities Mega List
    • You've successfully detoxed when you've reached a place where you have truly begun to enjoy these offline activities and digital entertainment feels secondary.
    • At the end of the detox phase, only reincorporate technologies which directly support something you value and is the best way to use technology to serve these values. If you don't know what you truly value, this 30 day period is a great time to figure that out!
    • Create "standard operating procedures" for the technologies which you do choose to reincorporate into your life. "Standard operating procedures" are basically just rules and regulations regarding how you will or will not use these technologies moving forward.
    Most importantly, definitely read this book (and maybe a few other books Cal mentions) during this period! If you'd like to give back to the sub a bit after your declutter, you could leave a post here discussing what your experience was like. Even if it ends up being more challenging than you assumed, let us know because hearing a variety of experiences will be helpful.