1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Cruising through nofap, failing miserably with quitting smoking

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by AI7, Oct 8, 2021.

1. AI7

AI7 Fapstronaut

So guys I am currently halfway through my nofap 2.0 journey, I am fully confident that I will not masturbate again and that I have channeled my sex drive into achieving my goals. However, there's one bad habit that I have recently picked up and that is smoking cigarettes.

I find it almost difficult to go one day without smoking. I used to smoke a lot of weed when I was studying for my degree, whenever I have finished doing what I need to do during the day, I would end the day with a joint and would smoke either every day or every other day. Since completing my degree I didn't smoke cannabis for 8 months. This has reseted my body and I do not crave cannabis or as self reliant on it as I once was. I then changed my routine of smoking joints into smoking cigarettes.

I have tried various quitting programmes but have failed them with multiple relapses. I wish I could go back to those days where I never used to smoke cigarettes and wouldn't even think of starting to smoke. I was hoping if people could give me some tips to quitting smoking as it is extremely difficult for me right now. I am also desensitised to nicotine too.

2. Do you have friends who smoke? If so, you might want to find new ones because that can be the single biggest factor.

Also lay off any triggers like coffee, alcohol and be ready after a meal for those cravings. Use every trick in the book. The patch, tea, meditation, websites like this (for smoking).

I was a very heavy smoker in the past and it was hard to quit but I honestly feel if i could do it anyone can.

But I get it. I feel the same way now with drinking too much wine. Not ready to call myself alcoholic but definitely lean on it like a crutch, especially since giving up PMO. Like you, I find myself doing better at abstaining from PMO more than I thought I would. I never expected to go weeks or even days at a time. It's much harder to do that with wine and certainly was with cigarettes. Never missed a day.

AI7 likes this.
  3. AI7

AI7 Fapstronaut

Nope, a lot of my friends do not smoke. If they did smoke it would be very occasionally or for social smoking. I don't really drink coffee and don't rely on it, if I go to a coffee shop to do a bit of work on my laptop then I would get a cup of warm coffee or an iced coffee.

I'm going to be honest here. It's mainly the routine of smoking which is hard to break, whilst I was using the patches I still smoked a cigarette and this has desensitised me to the nicotine. Alcohol is quite difficult to cut down for people who rely on drinking if they suffer from any form of depression or anxiety. Drinking is quite easy to cut down on if you was to dedicate time somewhere else by keeping yourself busy like going to the gym for example.

I'd say at the moment I'm still struggling a lot with quitting and I do need some more support with this.

4. yeah you gotta be careful with those patches. I remember doing the same thing. Smoking with a patch on lol
    But they can be useful if you're truly trying to stop. But it's not enough. You got to get at this from every angle. The gym is a great place to be if you haven't developed a routine with that then I say get into it. That's when I started a gym is when I stopped smoking.

Did you look into any websites like this one that support quitting smoking? I found some good ones in the past. I know they are out there. Also there's some good day counters out there.

5. JeanCarl88

JeanCarl88 Fapstronaut

Man I'm in a similar situation. I'm doing quite good in my No PMO journey, but I'm starting to smoke again, after I had quit 6 months ago. It's hard to give up different addictions at the same time, and I'm not sure it's a good idea to try to. I would say that after your 90 days, you should put quitting smoking as the number 1 priority. Cigarettes fucking suck, and we all know it.

Billybrasco likes this.
  6. takezawa2

takezawa2 Fapstronaut

I think that’s considered a replacement “hobby”/ addiction. My p*rn addiction was connected with vaping e-cigarettes so I had to quit both at the same time. I wouldn’t/don’t enjoy PMO unless I’m vaping. Nicotine is a extremely addictive drug and I’d recommend transitioning off cigarettes with Nicorette or patches. Smoking cigiaretes is a process where you stop whatever you’re doing, then have to go outside and find a smoking friendly area that becomes a hassle and interferes with you day. With a patch you can go on about your day stay productive to ease the craving with the hopes it will eventually subside all together. Cigarettes have brutal side effects where overtime your body will physically force you to stop (illnesses) and it’s too late before you know it. It’s a fight but find something new to latch onto as long as it’s not p*rn or cigarette it almost doesn’t matter what it is