1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Dating and depression

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by R2DToy, Oct 31, 2019.

1. R2DToy

R2DToy Fapstronaut

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this thing going on.. returning depression.

In my case, it returns every bunch of weeks. And lasts a week or two or so. Working is barely doable. I myself am under treatment by therapists and such, but my depression keeps returning which makes you desperate about the situation.

Yay.. you got a match. You chat a bit, and suddenly BAM depression returns. It's almost impossible to find the triggers. Because they are probably not even there. It's like someone in another room, in another house, in another country has remote with a big red button. Which is pressed at random.

Oh wait.. he's doing fine now? Let's reinstate that depression to keep him low and pressured..

So you start to feel like crap and your energy, your positivity and general mood drains away in slowly but surely. And there's nothing you can do about it!

We all know women LOVE a man who is slow, has no confidence and zero assertiveness. Because that's what depression does. It makes you a negativity monster and people love to be around such people.

I can't be the only to recognize this.

I'd post on specific depression forums, but that's just filled with other depressing people like me!

My point is that it seems it's impossible to date when you have returning depression. One week you can feel great, be pleasurable to be around with, and the other week it's all hell in your mind!

2. The part about being an uncontrollable "negativity monster" really resonated with me. Even though I know I'm in a bad mood, I'll often still catastrophize and engage in obsessive, pathological thinking and behaviour because it's so hard to pull away from what your mind is telling you. It's really difficult when the physiology of depression makes you fatigued and so it's even harder for your mind to resist the pessimist stew it's cooking. But even when you're no fun to be around, you're still worthy of love. Things aren't panning out for me either on the romance front. I just have to take deep breaths and close my eyes and let the tingly feelings of self-hatred wash over me. Sometimes they go away, usually they just abate slightly, but I'm still an unproductive, brooding mess.

You're not the only person who feels this way, and it sucks, but you still have to fight it. You should still try to reach out when you're hurting, and try to act healthily in order to avoid the cycle of depressive behaviour leading to poor action leading to bad circumstances leading to bad feelings leading to depressive behaviour etc. But it's difficult and it sucks and I feel for you.

R2DToy and 420 mile high like this.
  3. I can relate to so much of this. For me it comes in cycles too. I don't have any experience in dating, but I I've tried to connect with people a couple of times and it just does not work that well. I can be all friendly and cheerful for a week and then when I feel down I am a "negativity monster", like you said. That is, if I am open about my feelings and thoughts. If I am not open (which is usually the case) I can hide that negativity by just shutting myself off from people. But in that case they tend to just end up thinking that I do not care about them, cos I am all quite and barely communicate. It's even harder with friends online too, cos at least in real life you can be around somebody, even if you don't talk - maintain connection that way. But in online talking/chatting is being around.

If we speak of dating, I think the best I could hope for is wait for that decent period and then quickly try to get laid before downtime hits. It's almost like having a mild bipolar, only downs and highs are not that extreme. I mean I never have highs, I just feel normal. I don't know. But yea, hard for me to imagine connecting with people cos of this...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2019
    Deleted Account and R2DToy like this.
  4. R2DToy

R2DToy Fapstronaut

Depression affects every part of one's life. It's not just dating. Work can be extremely difficult to keep up. Not to mention personal ambitions. Like how I wanted to start my own online business. Start with (another new) great idea, write it out, then BAM it kicks in.. you start to realize how long it will take to see success, the amount of hours you will need to put in, investment money you don't have, because due to your depression you make impulsive purchases that at that moment seemed to be the silver bullet to get you of your mess, if only for a short lived moment. Realizing all that, I abandon my projects more quickly each time.

Depression is immensely frustrating, it even makes you bitter, and suspicious. Suspicious someone else is still deliberately inflicting this on you. While in my case, it's clear that I have had abuse in the past in my weakest moment. Every sentence someone speaks you analyze because you never know if that person is out to hurt you or take advantage of you. The slightest comment will be taken as a personal offence, and result in anger that you bottle up because you know expressing anger at that moment isn't right from a rational perspective. You know that person probably didn't mean it badly, yet you do feel that way. The feeling of injustice can tear one apart inside and you've got nowhere to go with your emotions.

I can't imagine how people in conflict stricken countries must feel. Because my depression is nothing compared to the grief there. Nevertheless, it still s*cks to have depression, wherever you are. It s*cks the living spirit out of you, and you don't know when it will end, and if it's going to end at all.

My therapist tells me; You should go out and do more stuff outside of home. I think she's right, but when in that negative mood, you don't see any way out. You don't have the energy, and you sure as hell don't see the point of doing anything. One thing I did notice. It's more commonly the intelligent people - excuse me if I sound arrogant - that suffer from depression. For I believe they see the world for what it really is. And not just that, it's also the developed brain that wants to think.. because it can. And causes less doing, and too much overthinking. Sometimes I wish I was a bit more.. ignorant.

It's also a terrible thing to know you can do so much more, than the enslaving job you have now, due to depression and anxiety that go hand in hand. It drains you of all of your confidence, and your skills, your knowledge and abilities don't get any chance to develope.

Maybe it's true. Do these jets smuther us with chemtrails and make me go crazy? Was it my parents fault and did they raise me wrongly? Or am I just born with bad luck. I know I like to believe that it's got anything to do but with bad luck. Unfortunately, we all have genetics that decide our fate in life.

I for one, am a not that a tall male, living in the country with the tallest people on earth. Yay! Complemented by a background of abuse, sensitive personality and just enough intelligence to realize that you are f*cked if you wanted to date anything better than leftovers. Don't get me wrong. I'm a mid thirties leftover myself, still in illusion that I can date a pretty woman who will actually like me for who I am.