1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

David's Prayer

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Psalms 23 KJV “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.”

When David was young, the Lord was his shepherd. He followed, obeyed, prayed, stayed in scripture and he did not want for anything. Then David got older and way busier. When he got busier, he struggled with his ability to follow the shepherd.

2 “He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.”

Consider asking the Lord to help you to slow down. To lead you beside the still waters. Pray: “Father, help me to be calm, to be pure. Fill me with Your peace.”

If you are busy, consider owning the New Testament on CD. That way you can listen to a few chapters of the Bible while you are running around.

Then at home, you can quote verse 2 and pray: “Father, help me to lie down in green pastures.” We pray this to get our minds off of the rat race so that we can focus on the will of God. I am always praying things like that (to refocus on what God wants me praying about) because I am always distracted.

3 “He restoreth my soul.”

When we reserve a block of time for God he restores our soul. When we skip this time it is like burning money. Because we are burning ourselves out and we are burning our joy up. Choosing whether we spend this time with God is often the crossroads for addiction.

I look at spending time with God as one of the most important things. Why? Well... read the whole 23rd chapter. Living that way sounds like it leads to a great life.

He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

We need Jesus to lead us so that we can have a great life. Pray: “Father, please lead me.” The places (and thoughts) He will lead us to are way better than the places/thoughts we want. Trust Him and believe that the paths of righteousness will make this chapter a reality for you.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
    Tao Jones likes this.
  2. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;

When the Lord is our shepherd, we can ask for great courage, and we will get it.

Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.”

Like David, I want God pushing me in the right direction. Pray: “Father, direct me with Your rod and staff. I know that Your way is best.”

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Young David was always determined to obey and to be in God's will. Young David would be in the LG commercial saying “Life is Good.” Sinful David would be in the icy hot commercial.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

David was convinced about the greatness of following God. We learn a lot about repentance, passion and a love for God from David.

Lastly, we follow God through obedience and being in His will. When we follow God, goodness and mercy will follow us.

3. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

We learn from Psalm 145 that David always praised the Lord (except when he was busy making a mess of things).

Psalm 145 A psalm of praise. Of David.

1I will exalt you, my God the King; I will praise your name for ever and ever.
    2 Every day I will praise you and extol your name for ever and ever.
    3 Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom.
    4 One generation commends your works to another; they tell of your mighty acts.
    5 They speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty—
    and I will meditate on your wonderful works.

We learn that David always meditated on the Scripture (Works), (except when he was busy making a mess of things).

14 The Lord upholds all who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down.

David had a complete plan about how he would change after his fall. David then bowed before the Lord, who lifted him up.

Bowing down may mean, God, You are always right, Your ways are always good.

Consider praying: “Father, I will follow Your ways. Please lift me up.”

16 You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing.

David trusted God no matter what. Then things started to turn around.

19 He fulfills the desires of those who fear him; he hears their cry and saves them.
    20 The Lord watches over all who love him, but all the wicked he will destroy.
    21 My mouth will speak in praise of the Lord. Let every creature praise his holy name
    for ever and ever.

When we focus on God's ways, on prayer, and on exactly following His Word, our desires will start to be fulfilled.