1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 - Struggling

Discussion in 'New to NoFap' started by dylanfitz525, Jan 5, 2016.

1. dylanfitz525

dylanfitz525 Fapstronaut

I am on Day 8 of no PMO and unintentionally Hard Mode. I think I can continue to last for a few days but not much more than that. I just had a roadblock that I was really not expecting, seeing random people that make me want to masturbate. I was eating at a restaurant and I saw these two guys that were both exceptionally hot. One was really tall with big, strong biceps and shoulders. The other was smaller but had a nicer face and the first one had a good face to begin with. Normally after seeing someone like that, I would think about them and masturbate later in the day. This is making an already challenging task even more difficult, especially during the Surge, which has just started today. The benefits of the Surge is motivating me to keep going but this has been getting more and more difficult and I think I may need to reset soon if it continues to be more difficult.

2. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

You ultimately cannot sustain recovery by willpower alone. Willpower is like a muscle - it can only continually resist for so long without a break before it reaches muscle burnout. Hence, the strategy is to give the willpower a break before it reaches muscle burnout and failure. Then, it will have a brief rest (if even just a few minutes) before counter-resistance is applied again, followed by ongoing breaks still.

In order to give the willpower intermittent breaks before failure, you need to use relevant tools that you've found (or need to find) that work for you. Here are some:

1. Dialogue Method (mind tool): You need to personify the subpersonality addict within your mind and make him like a concrete entity, not just a gaseous, creeping shadow in the mind. Then, you need to separate the addict personality from your true self, which knows what it wants to live happily and freely. Then, you let the two dialogue (do it aloud even if possible). Your true self asks the addict what it wants and why it is hounding you. Your true self responds by rebuking the subpersonality addict by redirecting the agenda. The True voice decides what ultimate action will be taken in this moment. Primarily, don't let the addict suspend your ethical decision center or make it go numb - your true voice must speak up, point the finger, accuse the addict, and decide aloud the right course -- I will not PMO, etc.

2. Custody of the eyes. Sometimes we just need to stop looking around and taking in every and any sight there is to see and taunt us. Focus on the task at hand.

3. If possible, distract your energies into some other task: exercise, meditation, etc.

4. If there is discomfort in your mind, just sit peacefully with the sensation and don't get alarmed or excited or agitated by the pain, which is what addiction wants - to work you up into a frenzy so as to make you take a rash course or decision. Distinguish between pain and suffering. We can tolerate an objective pain as a good thing, if it is leading to health, happiness, and freedom of recovery. But, if we add negative thoughts to pain, the pain then becomes suffering, which is much less tolerable. Hence, don't push pain over the edge into suffering. If you are already suffering, get rid of the negative interpretative thoughts, and think positively and objectively regarding the discomfort.

5. Ice pack (5 to 15 minutes a time) - this is much different than a cold shower, which can cause alarm, shock, and agitate - again, all fodder for addiction. A cold ice pack, applied atop the scrotum area with a cloth protective barrier between (e.g., underwear) will deliver a slow and cool penetrating salving numbness to the testicles. This is good in relieving blue ball congestion. But, even if you don't have blue balls or any groin discomfort at all, the remedy still amazingly works to get rid of tempting thoughts in the head - what's between the legs does directly influence what is being thought about in the mind. Try this method lying down and see what immediate comfort it can bring, any time of the day if one is able, and especially at night when one is trying to sleep. You'll sleep like a baby.

Try some or all of the above as each applies to different circumstances. Report back regarding your progress.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    dylanfitz525 and WOTL like this.
  3. WOTL

WOTL Fapstronaut

Some great advice by @JoeinMD, I will also add another couple of thoughts. First, have the conviction that suffering now through the pain is better than suffering later with the remorse. Second, record an audio after your last relapse explaining exactly how you feel and play this when you are considering relapsing. Third, learn to handle discomfort (cold showers, fasting, etc). This is useful to tame the ego and its demands, but ultimately you need to build automatic processes that will give you a break when your willpower runs low. This is key because willpower is indeed limited as Joe indicated. No one can beat the addict subpersonality with a toolkit that only offers determination after a relapse and white knuckling under stress...And never say you may not resist. The moment you say and believe that, you will fall for sure... I have been there myself.

4. dylanfitz525

dylanfitz525 Fapstronaut

Thank you so much for your advice. It was really helpful and it will really help me to keep going. I have used the ice pack method for the past two days now and I only saw this advice yesterday. Yesterday, I didn't have much trouble continuing my reboot and I mostly wanted to try this out. I had really positive results and knew that I would be able to use it in the future. It was a little uncomfortable at first but it really helped. And a little discomfort will help me to endure more discomfort in the future (and if I continue to reboot, I'm preety sure there will be discomfort again). Today, I needed it much more to help resist my urges. I'm actually sitting on an ice pack right now trying to get past some sexual thoughts that spontaneously came to my head. I really think that I will use this method again but I will try to avoid using it all the time so that I can learn to handle periods of struggle when I don't have access to any ice.

I will try some of these other techniques when the appropriate time comes to use them and I will forward some of this advice if I find anyone that it will help.

5. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

Great, glad it's working. Of course, as mentioned, don't apply ice directly to skin, but have a cloth barrier (such as underwear or more cloth if needed) to buffer full impact. As long as coolness is penetrating, that's what is needed - the scrotal area should contract, of course - meaning the cold is being delivered there. You may need to protect with cloth other skin areas as well inadvertently being touched - like the thighs, etc. Hence, it shouldn't be too discomforting once you're used to using it, but a welcomed, slow and penetrating source of coolness and numbness. Usually 5 to 15 minutes at a time is sufficient for each compress round. If you need to go further.

Yes, when we are in safe zones, learn how to build endurance naturally. That's good strategy, but techniques like this and others help us not to burn out our willpower muscle - or to deal with days that we're not strong enough to endure too much and sometimes as a way to head off dangerous temptations in the bud before they have a chance to surmount into a monster we cannot conquer.

All the best.

dylanfitz525 likes this.
  6. dylanfitz525

dylanfitz525 Fapstronaut

Thank you for the follow up advice. I used cloth to protect my skin so that it was too uncomfortable. I mostly just needed to adjust to the cold.