1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Define God

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. bestme996

bestme996 Fapstronaut

Define God, that might be a good starting point

- Worshiped for having power over nature and fortunes
    - Creator, ruler of the universe, source of moral authority, supreme being
    - Everywhere at once (Omnipresent)
    - All powerful (Omnipotent)

What else are they saying about this God character?

2. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

If there is a God he/she/it is all-powerful and doesn't care about people or the world. Or God does care but isn't powerful enough to do anything to stop the suffering. I think the idea that God is all-powerful and loving isn't compatible with the world we live in.

3. bestme996

bestme996 Fapstronaut

I'm atheist again as of a few days ago.

God is basically watching 8 billion at once, taking notes, and then will judge you to eternal hell or heaven when you die. That's not even getting personal about any religion, that can get really absurd

Brothers, I don't believe in judgement. Not from a God.

God at the end of the day is merely a word. If you want to define it there are 50,000 world religions, one in every state, lol, and every individual has there own version, even that Pastor on TV, he's loaded, I forget his name, he's actually really good, he even see's Christianity his own way, we all do

So in closing,

God is imaginary.

Its just a word

Me, I don't believe in a personal God that is good, or is so invested, my gosh he must be exhausted, he must really love us :):D:cool::p

By being Atheist, I love myself more, I see myself as a good person now, and I no longer fear

Life moves on, lets make some money, get healthy, create relationships, and do what I enjoy

4. smh_fam

smh_fam Fapstronaut

I think that's virtually impossible as there are near infinite number of conceptions of "God". Though some are more useful and constructive than others.

5. Giuseppe

Giuseppe Fapstronaut

6. Hagámoslo

Hagámoslo Fapstronaut

Aunque exista o no, yo quiero ser libre más no regido por una fuerza superior.

7. pichus321

pichus321 Fapstronaut

God is liberation for me, only when im thinking of him i start feeling more relaxed, slow my anxiety of what to do next morning, what other people think of me, resolve problems, etc; taking a weight off my mind

8. Francis X.

Francis X. Fapstronaut

There are no good reasons to believe Atheism is true, but there are good reasons to believe Theism is true. First of all, how can you claim to know so much about the world to know how to create it. There could be perfectly justifiable reasons for evils, but you just don't know them. It's arrogant to think that you know how things could be better. Humans have free will. Love could not exist if free will didn't exist. As it turns out, some people decided to do bad things with their free will.
    So, back to the original question. What is God? Philosophers have already answered this. God is a necessarily existing perfect being. God must exist in order to avoid an infinite regress. Many paradoxes come about from infinite regresses. There must be an uncaused cause. It must be uncorrupted because corruption comes after a thing already exists.
    Everyone in Hell wants to be in Hell. If you asked anyone in Hell if they wanted to go to Heaven, they would refuse.
    Also, good people and bad people cannot exist without God. There is no such thing as good or bad without God. If I were an Atheist, I would probably act like this man before he converted to Christianity. Without God, we're just meaningless clumps of cells.

John Q. Sinner likes this.
  9. FocusIsLove

FocusIsLove Fapstronaut

As another has stated, I believe that God is Love. I know it to be true. That our purpose in life is to give and receive love.

It has been said, the greatest commandments are to love God with all of your heart, soul, mind, and strength and likewise to it, to love your neighbor as yourself.

Your neighbor is everyone, but especially those in need. In need of what? What have you needed at different points in life? Attempt to give that, and you will learn so much about love. Dedicate yourself to that, for one does not need a belief in God to put love as the guiding principle of your life, and why not, people dedicate themselves to many other less meaningful pursuits, and you may learn somethings about existence.

Francis X. likes this.