1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Depression when undertaking SR again? (I'm 10 days in.)

Discussion in 'Abstinence, Retention, and Sexual Transmutation' started by Avenging Marmoset, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Avenging Marmoset

Avenging Marmoset Fapstronaut

Greetings all! I am not going to go too OT, but I'm here from reddit's SR sub for no reason other than I'm sick of spending my time writing out a meaningful reply or post to a reply only to be told "something went wrong" when I try to post it. My keyboard can't take any more of my bashing on it every time that happens. aaaaanyway....

My exerience with SR is that I went 2 weeks without jerking early last year, then about a month later I went 30 days. Needless to say, no one has to sell me on the benefits of SR. In fact I don't know why I went back to jerking, because shortly after that and for other reasons (sloth, laziness) my life descended into a horrible morass of settling for my dead-end job, jerking, and weed addiction. After many, many attempts and false starts, I finally cold stopped with the jerking and weed just ten days ago and pledged myself to 90 days of abstinence from both those evils. And beyond that, who knows? I find it curious that even in the face of many occasions of temptation, I am having no problem abstaining from either of those vices now that I have finally knocked them off. I remember going way back that when it comes to NoFap, 90 days is the "gold standard", and one which I always wanted to achieve. A true lifetime milestone. I told myself I was going to "go for the gold", as i put it to some friends who have wished me well in this right before I undertook this journey. But back to my question, a.k.a: why I am posting this.....

It's been a while since I did a streak so maybe it's just that I forgot, but are mild depression and mood swings normal when starting out? I am familiar with the chemistry behind what SR does and how one's brain re-balances and then neurologically resets in many ways, but can that cause mild depression and mood swings? I have a problem with depression as it is, but it's been well controlled with medication and good mental health habits for years now. I recall that the last time I did SR, it helped improve the depression and mental health tremendously. I felt much better most of the time. If the recent swings are caused by the start of SR this time around, when will that subsiude, and has anyone else, be they getting treated for chronic depression or otherwise, had similar experiences? I am thinking that if it all goes well enough, SR may just help me to be able to taper off one of the two meds I take Thanks.

2. Avenging Marmoset

Avenging Marmoset Fapstronaut

Did you even read the post? Because, to me, it doesn't seem I was expecting any results yet at all. Where did I say otherwise? Please provide a quote from my post wherein I said or implied that. What I did ask, however, was if the early days of a streak can cause depression, and if anyone else has had that experience, when the depression was likely to subside, etc.

And your bashing of 10 days and even 90 is just plain wrong on so many leves, l that I can't even get into it. Just kidding, I'll get into it, but just a little since I don't have three days to do so. You're insulting those who have tried desperately to even start a streak after many failures, and who have struggled to get even as much as *two* days under their belt. Tell them that's "nothing". You should be supporting those people instead of looking down your damn nose at them. This site is in total about mutual support, so if you can't get that through your head, you need to delete your account and leave. What are you anyway, the streak police? You think you're one of the Spartan shock troops of the SR/NoFap world or something? Your own counter seems to say "20", doesn't it? That's far short of 90 last time I checked, meaning you're either a self-described (and absorbed, apparently) NOOB, or you've gone on other, longer, 90-day streaks, which bears asking why you're not still on those streaks, now doesn't it? Now you'll please excuse me, I need to go put my hand into some cold water to cool off the inflammation resultant from having spanked you so hard.