1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Developing my humor

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Trevelyan357, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Trevelyan357

Trevelyan357 Fapstronaut

Ok so sometimes I have funny moments, but I am not really known for being a funny guy. When I was younger a few people (some were family) pointed out how I am so serious. Now that I am a little older, I am more confident in myself and don't take myself as seriously. But I am still self-conscious about this. Sometimes I tell jokes that people don't get or I say something that makes me look really stupid. I am not that guy who goes around constantly telling bad jokes at every occasion. I wait for the right time to say it.

Humor genres I am into:
    - Ironic
    - Situational
    - Dark
    - Slapstick
    - Crude
    - Sarcasm

I realize humor is kind of hit and miss and not everyone will understand my humor. Here are some examples of things I have said in real life (for context, I work in security):

1) One time a junkie picked a fight with my coworker and punched him in the face. My coworker told me after the fact that he threw the guy into the fountain. I asked him if it helped the guy cool off. I drew inspiration for this joke from True Lies when Arnie dunks a terrorists head in the toilet after beating the shit out of him. Arnie says "here....cool off." I was surprised he didn't laugh at this. He told me after that being punched in the face is a pet peeve of his. I suspect a lot of people would share that sentiment.

2) One of the janitors at the mall I work at told me that he saw a group of four Arab terrorists sneak into the outside stairwell with ak's and that they were looking for me. Obviously I knew he was full of it but I played along anyway. I would act unconcerned and would say something along the lines of "I'm sure it's nothing", "Stop wasting my time, I have more important shit to do like eating donuts and drinking coffee", or "sounds pretty normal to me." The janitor and I would laugh at eachother's remarks. But I am pretty sure we are on the same wavelength humor-wise. Because I know this guy, I am comfortable saying certain things to him that I wouldn't repeat to someone else. I am careful not to be off-putting.

3) I live/work in an area where there are a lot of junkies and mentally ill people. I was having a conversation with a regular who comes in every morning. She would tell me about some crazies that are well known to me. Sometimes she describes someone neither she or I have seen before. She made some comment about how she is going out of town for fun. Then I asked her why she is going out of town. With all the crazy people around her, you have all the entertainment you need here. She got a good laugh out of this.

I am trying to learn what my schtick is. How do I further develop this so I can be comfortable using it in social situations outside of work?

Thanks!

James

2. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

For those who have seen me around the forums may have noticed how much of a pessimistic man I am. In my circle of friends I am the funny guy, because I use humor as a defense mechanism to avoid humiliation, and now I cannot stop it, no one takes me seriously, not even myself. You must balance it before you start or you will end up like me.