Did God choose His attributes?

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

Did God choose His attributes or did He always have them?

2. ukbritishbloke

ukbritishbloke Fapstronaut

This only matters if such a being exists. I don't think so. I think your question's a bit like asking whether Harry Potter uses this website.

3. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

What's your reasoning behind saying that God doesn't exist?

4. ukbritishbloke

ukbritishbloke Fapstronaut

5. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

I don't. I see what you're getting at but I kinda disagree. BTW, I'm not a Christian.

6. JKnight

JKnight Fapstronaut

The attributes are just patterns or self-declared patterns in Its behaviour towards us. It is essentially Its choice in how that interaction occurs, so in a way It chose the nature of the interaction and those attributes

7. Mr. McMarty

Mr. McMarty Fapstronaut

God always had his attributes because God was not created.

Sakazuki27 likes this.
  8. Fightyourlowerself

Fightyourlowerself Fapstronaut

As above - He always had them because he was not created / is pre-eternal.

An example - Take one of his attributes, lets say self sufficiency. If he wasn't always self sufficient he would not exist because he would have needed someone or something else to exist before he acquired self sufficiency. I hope that makes sense.

Mr. McMarty likes this.
  9. Timber

Timber Fapstronaut

That’s a very old Christian question.

I think it melted my mind 10-15 years ago. The idea that God acted a certain way and called it “good” drove me up a wall. But this was believed by lots of Protestants.

I think the answer is going to depend on what you mean by “chose” and what you mean by “God.”

I think that the foundation of all existence is conscious personal Love. All are connected to him and issue from him. From this follows that God is a set of attributes that just are. God cannot choose an attribute contrary to his own nature.