1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Did I do something wrong?

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by OntheSurf4ce, Jan 5, 2018.

1. GG2002

GG2002 Fapstronaut

I think the simple answer as far as what women want in a man is an equal partner who’s their teammate. There are no gender wars. Women just now have the same opportunities as men do in schooling and the work place. Somehow men see that as a competition or a war. Women don’t. No one is threatened by the word leader, it just has no place in most modern relationships. It implies inequality.

That’s neither here nor there. Its whatever works in a relationship for that couple. They both work, he only does, she only does, etc there is no one right way. But giving a young man dating today the advice that he should lead his woman and she should defer to him is ill sighted to say the least. Most women will not respond well to this at all. And since the goal is to help this writer succeed telling him to behave like a man from the 1950s trying to date a woman in 2018 is just not gonna work. Just to test this I asked 10 or so of my close girlfriends how they would react if a man said or behaved like this, the first reaction of every single one was to literally laugh out loud, and then some version of kick him to the curb and fast, half are married!

Jennica likes this.
  2. True-Self

True-Self Fapstronaut

Here's are my initial thoughts based on my interpretation of the below statements:
    This tells me that she has validated your feelings. She can at least understand how her actions (even if she actually did nothing wrong, and what she did may not have impacted another person in the same way) have made you feel badly. Your relationship is between the two of you. It really should not be a factor what the standard dating protocol as far as exclusivity that others abide by is. If she had responded by immediately saying, "you're being sexist, guys do this all the time, I did nothing wrong, you don't control me, we we're exclusive yet, blah, blah, blah". Basically trying to immediately tell you how and why you were wrong while ignoring that (justified or not) you were hurt. Then I would have seen her actions as problematic.

Then I read this part:
    The fact that her first instinct was to lie when confronted with uncomfortable information is not an ideal trait for someone that you are going to spend the rest of your life with (in my opinion).

However it can also be said that your instinct to invade her privacy when having an opportunity to do so is also not an ideal trait.

I think that if you can/continue to learn from, respect, and empathize with each other it will go a long way towards a healthy marriage.

GG2002 likes this.
  3. RecoveringLion

RecoveringLion Fapstronaut

If his fiancé runs for the hills as a result of his renewed masculinity, strength, confidence and leadership then he will be happier long term, because he will meet women who love that about him.

Get after it, OnTheSurf4ce! I and your fellow men believe in you!

4. Based on my experience of men and women, I respectfully disagree :)

5. GG2002

GG2002 Fapstronaut

Ummm but what if that not him? What if he does what you suggests in an effort to try to keep her, but since that’s not who he is, it’s not who she fell in love with nor is it who she wants so she leaves? Many women do not want the type of man you describe. You may think they do but they don’t. He needs to be who HE is. That’s who she loves. If a man who was not ever like this before starts acting like this it’s usually quite humorous. He’s trying to show me he’s the man and he’s in charge now lol. You are setting this guy up to get dumped not just by her but many many women. Men who need to assert their manhood and masculinity and be the leader reek of insecurities. Women can smell that from miles away. Be who you are.

Jennica likes this.
  6. GG2002

GG2002 Fapstronaut

With what part?

7. OntheSurf4ce

OntheSurf4ce Fapstronaut

So much
    She did validate my feelings, which in turn is why she agreed to cease any contact with him. Technically, she didn't do anything wrong, since we hadn't even met in person yet. She didn't call me sexist, or push it to the side, so i was happy about that. She has had a past BF who was very controlling and emotionally and physically abused her, and she's worked hard to build herself back up to being a confident woman, which is what I love about her.

I think the reason she lied immediately (and not giving her excuses) was because she was thrown off guard. She lied to me about it because she said she didn't me to get hurt, but as soon as I said it again that I knew, she immediately came clean and apologized for lying the first time she denied it. She said that she wasn't proud of it and that she was afraid that if she had told me when we first got together she would have lost me. I believe her, because throughout our entire established relationship she hasn't lied.

Tough one to disagree with about this. I definitely dropped the ball in breaching her trust, so yea that goes both ways.

We learn from each other daily, and that is the most important part. We have a long and solid relationship built on learning and trust. I guess both of us lost sight in this during this situation.

Jennica likes this.
  8. RecoveringLion

RecoveringLion Fapstronaut

You are mistaking confidence, leadership and decisiveness for pretending to be macho and domineering. There’s a difference.