1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Difficult relation between parents and adult son.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Slavomir, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Slavomir

Slavomir Fapstronaut

I want to share with something I'm struggling with.

Two months ago I broke up contact with my parents after quarrel with dad. He always have problem with me because I am not like he want to. So when he is angry or something he take a beer and looking for problems.

I don't live with them for 8 years but year ago I thought that it is important to have good relations with parents. So every month I drave to them for couple of days (I live in another city). I try to make good relations but every time I arrived dad have problem with something.

On the other hand I started to therapy and something change in me. I stopped being scared of my dad. So, last time when he have problem I couldn't stand it. I said that "I don't care what he think about me and let him keep it for himself". Next I was reminding other harm. I said that because of him I spend a lot of money for therapy (he didn't know about my therapy. He always think that therapy is for weak person), took my stuff and went out for bus to my home. He called me once through the door but that is it.

After few days (and few phone from my mother) I sent long message with descibing my pain from childhood and one-sided desire to maintain relationships. I wrote that now I don't care of it and "parents have to keep family together, not child". I had answer: grievances instead of understanding.

Now I feel this problem inside me and I don't want to escape from it. But I don't know what to do.

Maybe I should accept that they never change, live my life and have less frequent relationships with parents. My therapist said that I expect I will get now what I should get in childhood: attention, love and sense of security. And now I should get this from myself and other people.

What do you think about it?

2. Sounds about right to me. They are old people that have been stuck in their mold for long time, it's very unlikely that they will change. Focus on being self sufficient and building strength emotionally and mentally as well as developing meaningful relationships with other people; friends, lovers. You are adult now so there is no need for parents anymore, because you don't need to be taken care of 24/7 or be breast fed. All the other emotional needs can be acquired somewhere else. If they are negatively impacting you then it's reasonable to distance yourself. You tried to communicate and it didn't work, what else can you do? Sounds to me like a mental abuse. Just move on. Visit them at birthdays, Xmas and other holidays for a day or a few hours and that's it. No need to keep yourself in that toxic environment on a regular basis.

vulture175 and Slavomir like this.
  3. Slavomir

Slavomir Fapstronaut

Shugi Shugi, thank you for answer. You're right. It is stupid that I thinking about it. It is true that I only saw to options: no contact and deep contact like a child. Now you said about middle road: have some contact but we won't be a friends. They have their life, I have mine. But I remember that I'm their continuation and I live thank for them. Maybe I need more time to understand this, maybe when emotions will drop. Just let this go.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Deleted Account likes this.
  4. vulture175

vulture175 Fapstronaut

Mental abuse, this words describes so much my situation since the day i was born, and it is still happening now. This is like mental torture. Maybe it's one of the reasons that cause my severe depression. It built up my fear from childhood, then transform to extreme sadness and confusion, then finally it turned to passive aggression, extreme anger inside, from forcing myself to obey to the anger to finish him off, from suicidal thoughts to murder thoughts.

I've seen therapists, took many kind of meds, still my condition is getting worse and worse. I stopped taking meds few months ago. The traumas from childhood must have strong effects like an open would that can be hard to be healed. I read some of stories about serial killers, and all of them had child abuse in the past, every one of them, like no exception. I'm afraid if one day i would become one of them, sometimes my anger inside feels like a panic attack.

And yeah, like Shugi said , keep distance, avoid being in a toxic environment. In the past i always put myself in toxic environment to challenge myself, to see if i can handle it, but it did more harm than good, sometimes it's better to fly than fight. Also don't worry about moral standards between children and parents, i think it's not necessary in this case.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. Slavomir

Slavomir Fapstronaut

vulture175 first paragraph is so about me.

Science prove that traumas from childhood (especially 1-3 years old, when brain is still growing) make a predisposition to depression and addiction. I recommended for example lectures of Gabor Mate on youtube about addiction or Robert Sapolsky about depression.

Thanks vulture175 for your answer.

6. Heráclito

Heráclito Fapstronaut

Seems to me that you are taking big steps towards healing yourself and growing up. I also spent my childhood with an abusive father who now I know has Borderline/Narcisistic Personality Disorder. Took me a life to conect the dots! I grew up into constat fights, lies , manipulation, a depressed mother and an abusive and antisocial sibling. Well.. I have made myself the same question over and over again: Should I try to have a good relationship with my family? Its really complicated, and also my therapyst told me the same: Move on, relly on yourself and build your own family with friends, girlfriends or maybe one day my own kids. And its true, Now I am my own father/mother. They will never gonna change, they are stuck.

I want to share with you this reddit about healing from abusive parents. Specially meaningfull for people raised by Borderline parents.
    I read it every once in a while and its been helping me a lot. Hope it helps you too.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/raisedbybo...mal_things_i_wish_id/?st=jb37b54h&sh=4603f373