1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Dig the Root Out

For Fapstronauts of the Protestant Christian faith.

1. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Today I was working on my poison Ivy again. I started eight years ago, but I did not know I needed to dig out the root. I have spent countless hours working on it, spraying it, digging at it, but... the root is 15-18 inches deep, and I just have never solved the problem. Two years ago my brother said, “Just dig it out.” I did dig a lot of it out last summer, but, I never got to the bottom of the two vines with the deepest roots.

I am not highly skilled at getting rid of it.

Overcoming lust is often very deep-rooted. Anyone who reads my last 8 articles might say, “Wow, you are recommending a lot of change. This is a lot of work.”

Back to the Poison Ivy. My brother just dug the root out and he was done. I used the easy method. I fiddled around with the Ivy a lot. I tried quick fixes. I bought special poison Ivy spray. But... I still have not dug up the root. Now it does not seem easier. The Ivy is still flourishing.

If you just read my last 12 articles you realize that it is a lot of work to dig lust out. But really there are just two choices in your approach. First, you can work at it, try quick fixes, and give it your best shot. Or, you can do a lot of work and change and dig out the root.

It takes 66 days on average to form a new habit or quit an old habit. The best way to quit old habits is to form new habits to replace them. When you dig out the root it is still going to take a while. 60 days if your habit is not so severe. Maybe 90 days or longer if it is severe. Maybe even years longer.

But, when you dig out the root, the habit is dead.

Secondly, I am 60 years old. I promise you that you can't even imagine the destruction that lust will cost you. The list of things it affects is endless.

Tomorrow I am starting on a digging spree with poison ivy. I guess I have two choices. I can fiddle around with it again this year, or... I can change, develop new habits, put in the work, and dig until every last deep root is dug out.