1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion on Rewards

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by focus_, Oct 25, 2020.

1. focus_

focus_ Fapstronaut

Hi guys,

I’ve been looking at the forums and have seen different posts about rewarding yourself for reaching milestones, whether it’s weekly, monthly, etc.

I was thinking of setting up a reward for myself. I’ve wanted a new MacBook for a long time and I’ve been saving up for one recently. I was going to promise myself that I’d only get one if I was able to successfully reboot. Obviously I’d need to define that, and be specific, and gives dates, etc.

However, I felt torn between setting up a different motivation for myself and my journey. On one hand, I believe the mental health, time and overall life benefits should be enough of a reward. On the other, adding external rewards to this is also motivating but I wonder if it’s damaging to do this as it detracts from the original motivation somewhat.

I was curious as to what you guys thought of this - is rewarding yourself valid? Should we be encouraging rewards for successfully abstaining or does it detract from what should really be focused on? I’d be interested to hear your opinions.

Thanks!

2. Reverent

Reverent Fapstronaut

Do the rewards. In the end you're going to reward yourself anyway, might as well use them as tools to motivate you.

If you keep relapsing and feel discouraged you may end up buying what you want to feel better for the moment. Spending is a dopemine high too, albeit not as strong.

Your brain always wants what it wants when it wants it. Delaying gratification in any form shows resolve strength. I do not think you will be hurting your brain and "real reason" for the reboot. You will discover strength as you go through the process. I say set a goal, move forward with determination, and have this internal debate once you've hit all the markers.
    Good luck.

focus_ likes this.
  3. focus_

focus_ Fapstronaut

I think that’s quite a healthy way to look at it for sure. Thanks for chiming in, appreciate it!

Reverent likes this.