1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Do priests masturbate too?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Flyhigh, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Flyhigh

Flyhigh Fapstronaut

When I was young I often hear people say that masturbation is good and is healthy way of releasing tension, stress, etc. and also it helps clean the body giving way to the production of fresh semen everyday. I also hear people say that even priests do it too. So without knowing the consequences of my actions before, I delighted myself in the habit, overdid it and got addicted. Everytime I did it I always felt something wrong like I always felt it was a sin. So every now and then I would stop and found myself going back to the same old bad habit perpetually. Then once just recently I saw something in the Bible like nocturnal emission is unclean. If wet dreams are unclean then what more is masturbation did in one's consciousness compared to nocturnal emission that just happened involuntarily. Now I have the answer to my question why I always felt that way before. Somehow a good reason to quit PMO. Now I wonder if priests are sincere with their vocation, I don't know if all of them remains chaste in their lives. Some of them committed rape but it shouldn't surprise us cuz after all they're also humans just like us, tempted to sin. But for those who remain chaste I salute them as I know it's not easy. I'm only on my 14th day without PMO and I can already say that it's not easy living a life of being chaste. Knowing the pain and suffering of men who chose to remain chaste again my salute on them.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. The_Monk

The_Monk Guest

I dont think priests who are really connected to god give importance to any sexual pleasure becoz their pleasure is in the devotion of god. Dont know about frauds.

3. Flyhigh

Flyhigh Fapstronaut

Yep they kind of overcome their flesh's desire and move to higher being which is spiritual.

Deleted Account and The_Monk like this.
  4. The_Monk

The_Monk Guest

I disagree the wet dreams case. Wet dreams are out of control and total illusion. How can a simple dream make someone unclean.

5. Flyhigh

Flyhigh Fapstronaut

I guess the key to overcoming carnal desires is to starve them to death since flesh can die but the spirit is eternal we shouldn't be starving our soul.

6. Flyhigh

Flyhigh Fapstronaut

It's written in the Bible. I don't know either why. Maybe unclean thoughts give way to wet dreams.

7. Flyhigh

Flyhigh Fapstronaut

It's never said wet dreams are sins but it was mentioned as unclean. It's like you wash everything that comes in contact with the semen.

8. The_Monk

The_Monk Guest

Sometimes i get nocturnal emissions even without any dream. I keep my mind as clear as possible but then also at every 10-15 days i get it without any dream

Deleted Account and Flyhigh like this.
  9. Flyhigh

Flyhigh Fapstronaut

I remember when I was a teen I regularly have wet dreams and yea I got them too even without dreams or any sexual dreams.

10. The_Monk

The_Monk Guest

Yeah its true. Semen is considered sacred. Even involuntary emission of it is impure but not a sin. Semen is a very important fluid of our body and the greatest energy of our body.

Deleted Account and Flyhigh like this.
  11. Flyhigh

Flyhigh Fapstronaut

I believe the only valid reason for a release is procreation, of course with the person you love. And that's what makes it sacred.

12. True.

13. sparkywantsnoPMO

sparkywantsnoPMO NoFap Moderator & Yeoman

Having spoken to priests and asking them for assistance in understanding this and celibacy, they gave me a few insights. Priests (at least Catholic) are expected to maintain celibacy from sex, and so masturbation is included. Priests are still sinners, so it is possible for them to struggle with this. They've told me there will always be urges, but through various techniques, it can be managed.

About a 750 years ago, St. Thomas Aquinas, Theologian and Philosopher, went into this. Short answer: not sinful, primarily due to no willful consent. I'll include 2 links - 1 is a modern explanation and commentary, the other will link to the original analysis.

http://www.pagadiandiocese.org/2017/01/27/what-st-thomas-aquinas-said-about-wet-dreams/

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/3154.htm#article5

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  14. Flyhigh

Flyhigh Fapstronaut

OK thanks for that, I'll definitely read later.

sparkywantsnoPMO likes this.
  15. NF104534

NF104534 Guest

The key is prayer, since it is only through grace can we overcome our passions. Corperal mortifications are definately helpful, especially fasting, however, prayer is oxygen for the soul and therefor holds pride of place.

Yes, but only within the sacrament of marriage.

A great book that discusses sex, love, and marriage is "Three To Get Married" by Ven. Fulton J Sheen. You can read it for free at this link: https://www.ewtn.com/library/MARRIAGE/3GETMARR.TXT

It is an excellent book.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2017
    Flyhigh likes this.