1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Do We Have Free Will?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Apr 3, 2018.

1. We have free will to a certain extent, but some factors are simply out of our control. I had no choice with who my parents were, nor the choice to not at some point become conscious. I also never had a choice not to view PMO as wrong, my upbringing in a christian home + my parents not meaning to have me forcing them to stay together even though there are many reasons they shouldn't lead me to the conclusion sex is objectively bad. I don't believe all those things anymore however, I had no choice in some of my conclusions. The reactions of others had me make a choice that I probably wouldn't have made if no external influences are at play. Nonetheless free or not the environment can be adapted to decide future choices. Me making a habit of checking the nofap form might become a habit to the point where I no longer even realize what I'm doing & that conditions me to not give in to the habit of PMO. I'd say free will doesn't exist, but you can't use that as an alibi because we can modify the things that condition us. Even if it all be just chemical reactions in the brain we didn't ask for. Complicated question though for sure.