1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think people are insanely cautious?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by MLMVSS, Oct 30, 2019.

Do you think people are insanely cautious about Halloween candy?

1. No. It’s reasonable to be cautious.

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. Yes, it’s a path of hysteria

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Do you think society’s too cautious about everything, such as safety and failure? Or do you think it’s reasonable?

Probably the most relevant example over the next couple days: trick or treating. The past week or so I’ve been hearing warnings about people giving out weed edibles to kids or other drugs and to be careful about it. I get that there are strange people who will hand out rather weird pamphlets relating to Satanism, Atheism, Islam or Christianity or something. But seriously, weed edibles? I was debating whether to even do $30 worth of candy for trick or treating, who the heck would spike the neighbourhood kids with weed edibles or other drugs??? Those things are expensive.

idk, it feels like people are overly cautious about a ton of things.

2. LMAO

MLMVSS and Evig Faith like this.
  3. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

I think naturally people are negative and think about what could go wrong... Heard that it's due to how we've evolved. I'm naturally a cautious person and only make calculated risks.

MLMVSS and Evig Faith like this.
  4. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

One thing I hate that's occurred over the last few years is the explosion of what I like to call "safety wear". You see people wearing high reflective clothing while performing the most mundane tasks. As if a front end loader is going to come out of nowhere while you walk your dog through the park.

MLMVSS likes this.
  5. There have been cases in the US over the years of sick people including razors, glass, drugs, etc in with the candy

So yes being super cautious is a must.

If I had kids I wouldn’t let them go trick or treating. I’d take them to a harvest festival or some other safe place to celebrate the holiday.

MLMVSS and Deleted Account like this.
  6. I think it's reasonable to be cautious. What other time of the year do you let strangers give food to your kids without checking it at all? I would never ordinarily let my child eat food from a complete stranger. So honestly, it's really strangely un-cautious of us to even participate in something like trick or treating. Checking over their candy to make sure it looks like it hasn't been tampered with seems very reasonable to me.

MLMVSS likes this.
  7. I just remembered a story from the ‘70’s involving my mother an a cake I won in some contest at school.

My mom was and still over the top cautious which I appreciate now. I don’t have to worry about my parents being scammed.

I won a home baked cake at some contest at school and I was looking forward to eating it the next day. My mom threw that cake out without anyone touching it. She said ants got to it but I know better now.

She had no idea who baked that cake and what may have been in it. She was protecting us. And I appreciate it now. Didn’t when I was younger. I’d do the same thing now in the same situation.

(But in my case I think I’d at least go buy my kid a substitute at the store)

MLMVSS likes this.
  8. In todays society its important to be cautious. To an extent of course, because everything can be taken to extremes. Personally i wouldnt want my kids eating anything that came from a bunch of strangers.
    I live everyday with a degree of caution but a lot of awareness. Ive lived in a dangerous area my whole life, so caution / awareness is a must.

9. My sister mentioned today that she really enjoys going to things like our church country fair that we went to tonight, because her kids get lots of candy, and she knows it's all safe and came from the church, not strangers. So that's an option for people who are more cautious :) a lot of towns have Halloween events instead of going trick or treating door to door, so it's a bit safer and often more fun anyway, because of all the games and stuff.

10. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

idk that seems a bit ott. Did your Mother grow her own food and not shop at the store? Because you can't know for sure what is in any prepacked food in a shop - you trust the retailer when they say the food is safe. And why would your school try to poison you or something? Surely if they gave you a caked that harmed you there would be consequences for them. idk maybe growing up your local government was corrupted so they wouldn't do anything but I would in most democratic countries a school wouldn't purposely harm their students. I mean who goes to work hoping to harm people? From the teachers I speak to they seem to care about their students. Hope I don't come across as being disrespectful to your Mother, I just seems a bit ott.

I mean think about it, if we went around not trusting any company or person the economy would be in an even worse state, and we wouldn't get anything done. Maybe I'm saying the opposite to what I said earlier in this thread... Maybe there's a part of us that trusts and another distrusts. I mean if we didn't trust the owner of this site we wouldn't join it. I mean if they wanted to they could expose all our personal details on the internet but trust them to not do so.

MLMVSS likes this.
  11. The baked goods were homemade and donated to the school for this function. No idea who baked the cake and there were some messed up things involving food that popped up in the news during that time.

Also in America during the 70’s there was A LOT of distrust, paranoia, and bad feelings due to the Vietnam War, Racial Tensions, Urban Warfare groups like the SLA, Weather Under Ground, and Black Panthers, The Watergate Scandal, and a crippling world wide oil embargo.

IMO, America really sucked in the 70’s.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2019
    MLMVSS likes this.
  12. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

Fair enough. I wasn't alive in the 70's and have never lived in America but I have seen Ken Burns film on Vietnam so I can imagine it wasn't a good time.

A lot of what I said about trust came from Malcolm Gladwell's book Talking to Strangers.

13. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

When I was young, a girl approached me for no reason to say hello. I naturally thought it was a trap set up by organ harvesters

And I RAAAAAN
    I RAN SO FAR AWAY.

14. Yeah... fun. Lol it's fun to dress up with your friends and participate in an event. That's much more gratifying than just going to the store and buying candy.