1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you use any botanical help? I do!

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by FollowYourBeard, Sep 21, 2017.

1. You can find many plants available that can help with Nofap, I read that in middle ages hop tea was very popular among monasteries. I find it tasty and usefull as well.

Have you tried any herbs for selfrestraint?

[​IMG]

letter likes this.
  2. Tried weed but that just made me PMO more. No I stick to Leary greens, bell peppers and tomatoes. Salad basically. I also don't ink some green or ginger tea. Not sure if it helps but it tastes good.

Supermarron and FollowYourBeard like this.
  3. Does your salad help?

Man, I love your nick DemonSemen ;)

4. Leary greens have many antioxidants, vitamins etc so it is good for the body. Healthy body, healthy mind. However I can't figure out how to roll it into the papers...

Thanks. Stole it from a RHCP song.

5. letter

letter Distinguished Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Camomile tea, especially (for whatever reason, better product or placebo effect, idk) hand-picked and hand-packaged seems to have the best effect for me to get a good nights rest. Sleepless nights are the worst for staving off PMO, so any kind of thing to help with getting to sleep quickly is a boon for me. #insomnia

Perhaps, the hand-picked and hand-packaged part is more than just knowing that someone took care in the preparation...it's paying into someone having that way of life. There's a whole bunch of positivity in people living simply, away from machines and productivity. It's a whole other topic, ofc, but...there really is something about the whole package that seems to send me off to sleep better. I can sip my tea and think of the people going through their fields and selecting just the right camomile flowers for me and feel good about paying for them to live like that. I'd like to live like that lololol.

Great thread btw! I'll have to check up on Hop tea. I know the positive effects of bell peppers and tomatoes, but not of Leary greens. I'll have to check that out too.

FollowYourBeard likes this.
  6. There is an added value in herbs gawthered and processed by yourself, and this is how I get my hop tea just like that :).

Camomile sounds nice. Hop tea reduce libido and lower blood pressure, so its good for a nighty-night brew as well!

letter likes this.
  7. letter

My Journal
    Ooooh. I'm so going to have to seriously learn to forage more seriously now!! Not that I've foraged before, but the idea of making my own teas has got me hopping!! It may be a little late in the season (Canada @ 45º North Latitude) but this is also harvest season.. so here's for hoping!

8. Not for NoFap specifically but I have started using Ashwagandha extract since yesterday, mainly for its anti-stress effects. I think it'll help me to handle a higher workload. I also have 2kg of crushed Chamomile coming in the mail (probably arriving tomorrow) that I plan to try for the first time. I've never tried Chamomile before but I heard it's great for anxiety, and as someone who struggles with social anxiety I thought it might be helpful to me.

Also, not quite botanical, but I also take a stack of other vitamins/supplements just to plug weak spots in my diet:
    • 1000iu Vitamin D3
    • 100mg Vitamin B6 (if you're doing NoFap and not taking high dose B6, you should try it! I honestly haven't found any supplement that helps with NoFap more than B6. It can eliminate flatlines, speeds up recovery in general, and it's the one vitamin that I can actually feel working. Make sure to take high doses ~100mg though, not the standard 1-2mg pills)
    • 500ug Vitamin B12
    • 18mg Iron
    • 15mg Zinc
    • 125-250mg Magnesium
    • 1.5-3g Creatine
    As for other botanical stuff:

If you enjoy tea, you should try marshmallow leaf tea at some point - won't help you with NoFap but it's great for your throat and sinuses if you have a cold or sore throat etc, but also it tastes really nice. The taste without any added sugar or anything reminds me of green tea with honey in, it's nice and sweet and herbal.

If you're a fan of crazy dreams, pick up some Silene Capensis or Synaptolepis Kirkii or Calea Zacatechichi.

If you struggle with depression or anxiety, Kanna is great, it's a serotonin reuptake inhibitor but one that doesn't take long to work like standard SSRIs and doesn't build up a big tolerance or have most of the side effects of SSRIs. Be careful what medication you mix it with (don't take it with MAOIs for example) but it really relaxes you. It's quite nice if you have social anxiety because it makes you feel quite open and sociable.

If you have PIED you might want to try Tribulus, I was taking it before for general mood purposes but I noticed it gave me constant boners all day long. Felt like I was 13 again or something.

Tell me a little about chamomile? I'm expecting some Friday. I ordered 2kg of the flowers, and intend to make tea with it. :)

How much do I need for tea? Should I mix it with anything to get the best taste from it?

Is it something that stops working quickly if I drink it often? Or can I drink it every day and get the relaxation?

letter and FollowYourBeard like this.
  9. @JesusGreen it's a pure gold! Thank you for your insights, I hope you would not only have a boner as a little boy, but that you also have a little childs joy!

letter likes this.
  10. letter

My Journal
    Wow @JesusGreen! It sounds like you've drank many an adventurous cup of tea! I'm inspired...perhaps tomorrow or another day I've set aside for being productive I'll track down some of those things you described.

The taste of the flowers alone is delicate and pleasant. No need to add anything to it, but, to make it into a special treat a dab of some wildflower honey does wonders.

I've never really experimented with it extensively, I just pull it out and enjoy it on a night where I'm a little more weary than usual and perhaps a little more troubled by the events that seem to swirl constantly & threateningly around me. The therapeutic effects for that have a quick onset of a pleasant sort of drowsiness which give way to easy walks for contemplation and the feeling that your pillow is somehow softer and full at the same time. I believe you can drink a ton of it before any negative effect would be experienced, perhaps consult google. Perhaps don't operate heavy machinery or drive a vehicle, but that's more if you are drowsy than if you are under the influence of camomile. I've had some cups of the tea and have just had a calmer day while being alert and totally functional.

The dose you'd want is pretty much the same as other teas. Whatever amount they put in a teabag seems to do the trick for me. 2kg seems like you'll have enough tea to last for years. Perhaps you'll find a good blend and could share it with a few friends so that your stuff doesn't spoil or lose its potency?

11. The 2kg only cost me about $20 so worst case if it does spoil I can buy more, but yes I'll probably share some. I decided to buy it for 2 reasons 1) it was a lot cheaper than just buying the teabags, and 2) I figure I'd rather have a little too much, cuz if it does work well for anxiety I might just drink the stuff all day long haha :D

I do still have a jar of really nice honey that a family friend's bees made I could try with it too.

I'm considering ordering some Kanna again from the UK. Years since I had any, though when I had it before I used to smoke it, and I no longer smoke so I wouldn't get as much from it since tea is weaker - but I can get 50g for about $30, and I think 500mg is plenty for tea for anxiety. Considering it's short acting, it's probably something I'd use before going out for social events etc to immediately address my social anxiety, so 100 cups of tea should last me a long time since I don't go out very often currently.

There are a lot of places selling 50x or 100x Kanna extracts which look to be good value for money, but everywhere I search for how much people are using with the extracts, it sounds like the dosage is exactly the same as the regular powdered herb or just plant matter itself - so sounds like the extracts might be a big ol' scam.

12. Curious to try some of those Bs. And I wouldn't mind more boners either. Well, maybe not right now but in a few months.

13. Honestly B6 is something I think everyone doing NoFap should try. It eliminated the flatline for me, and it basically increases all of the regular effects of NoFap. 3 days of NoFap + B6 feels like 7-14 days of NoFap. 7-14 days of NoFap + B6 feels like 1+ month of NoFap. It's like it speeds up recovery. Which makes sense, since it appears to increase your body's ability to convert L-DOPA into Dopamine, and one of the things about our recovery is restoring normal Dopamine function.

Just make sure you take high doses. The RDA for B6 is only 1-2mg, and doses that low do nothing for Dopamine. It's only high doses (100mg+) that do. Also don't go too high either, since there are negative side effects found when taking over 300mg daily for months. So personally I settled on 100mg - enough to get the positive effects, without the side effects.

----

Anyway I'm not back here to post about B6. I'm here to talk about Chamomile! It arrived today and I just gotta say, I love it! Whenever people said tea was relaxing, I always expected it to feel just like this. Chamomile seems like the polar opposite of coffee - rather than a nice mild boost in energy, it's a nice mild boost in relaxation. My anxiety is significantly reduced, mood is improved, and I feel very chill.

14. You certainly love that chamomile. May your tea be hot and your leaves stout.

15. RRTQ

RRTQ Fapstronaut

Do you (and the monks) use it to sleep better or lower testosterone? I'm not sure if it does the latter, but I saw this:

Studies have found that hops have chemicals that act like estrogen. (It was talking about the benefits of women using for menopause.) Sorry, I'm new and can't post links yet. I found it on the first page of a Google search.

If it had a short-term effect, maybe that would be good. Long-term I definitely don't want to lower T levels, though.

16. I knew there was a reason I didn't like hoppy beer.

17. RRTQ

RRTQ Fapstronaut

Ha, me either. Love beer, but can't stand those hoppy IPAs. I don't know how the millenials can drink that stuff.

18. I'm no millenial and I love it!