1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Does „negative music“ have an negative effect on you?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by christian17, Nov 9, 2019.

1. christian17

christian17 Fapstronaut

80% of the music i usually listen to is from just one only interpret. He mostly raps about his drug addiction, satanism and depression. I like him and his music really much.
    But has music like that a negative effect on me?

primordial-saiyan likes this.
  2. Blues017

Blues017 Fapstronaut

I think that generally, no. Sometimes even very depressing songs may still end up helping you in a positive way. But it depends on how impressionable you are. It's like watching an action movie, or an horror one about a serial killer, Will it make you more violent or agressive? Probably no.

On the other hand, if you're taking some artist as your role model, or you're really internalizing the message of a song in your personality, then you'll probably need to put more attention, specially if you think it goes against your current values. The you can weigh them and decide what to do.

Hold it in likes this.
  3. ItsSeal

ItsSeal Fapstronaut

Its actuelly proven that watching a violent movie does have a impact on your view towards violent if you would compared it with a romantic movie. In an experiment you would less likely help someone. I dont know if the same goes for music. But in my own experience, i do feel happier if i listen to positive vibes.

For the maker of this thread, just find out for you own? Listen a whole week to more positive music and reflect if it made you more happier.

4. You gotta be careful with music. Music was made I believe as a form of worship, but these devils have perverted what God made good

5. Blues017

Blues017 Fapstronaut

Oh, I didn't know that. I read studies on violent videogames and the results point out that it's not a factor in violent behaviour, and even with violent people there was no relation.

But that's why I said that it depends on how impressionable you are. I'm not into movies that much, but my experience with music is positive. Maybe it depends on the artist too

ItsSeal likes this.
  6. christian17

christian17 Fapstronaut

Thank y’all for your answers. I wouldn’t say that I am identifying myself with satanism and drugs. But I really like his character because he is a nice guy who is very intelligent and his songs sound really good.

But I will make the experiment. I won’t listen to his music for at least one week, maybe more and I will test how it changes myself. If anyone wants to know the results he can read this thread again the next few days.

7. Just Is

Just Is Fapstronaut

When I started fresh in my life (left my friends, stopped smoking badpot and bad lifestyle) I deleted a lot of songs. It was like a change in my environment. Got into different genres. It's been years since and I've recently gotten back into some of those musicians I got rid of. I think it helped at the time.

Lol my old dealer (best friends sibling) once said we were all only depressed cause of the sad music we're listening to. We didn't talk much to them or their friends cause we didn't like them. I think there was some truth to it. Music is like the environment you create for yourself imo.

Handzfree likes this.
  8. drac16

drac16 Fapstronaut

I think that it probably does have an effect. Fore example: I've never met someone who is happy, but listens to depressive black metal. Music can be uplifting, but it can also lead to darkness (especially spiritual darkness).

9. Di.Do.555

Di.Do.555 Fapstronaut

Yes it does
    It sinks in to your subconscious mind .
    Guard your mind mate. It is under attack 24/7

10. I had this conversation with @L'empereur. I think music is addictive still, many people just don't realise.

11. Those people got bad influence on you.

12. christian17

christian17 Fapstronaut

I haven’t listened to negative music the whole week now and I really feel better. I deleted my Spotify playlist with these songs and replaced them with positive music. Didn’t listen much to music though

13. Kataro

Kataro Fapstronaut

only knows from me, when i listen to sad music, my depression just get stronger and, related to this all here, the risk for an relapse is much higher.
    So normally i try listen to energetic music, music which makes me "stronger", happier or to get motivated or so.

14. Major Vs minor keys though...Sometimes it's nice to be melancholy.

Blues017 likes this.
  15. NothingMoreNothingLess

NothingMoreNothingLess Fapstronaut

I deleted all my rap songs. Best decision I have made. I don't understand why I used to like that stuff, since it sounds like garbage and promotes violence, drugs, designer clothes, and prostitutes. I just listen to rock and EDM now. Plus rap just sounds like a bunch of angry mumblers.