1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Satan make music?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Apr 1, 2017.

What music do you think is acceptable?

1. Only music written to honour God.

2. Any music that does not directly disrespect God.

3. Any music at all.

4. Something else.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Quiver

Quiver Distinguished Fapstronaut

That's makes me think. I pretty much always listen to,music when I'm bored. Perhaps I should embrace the silence

2. Acts 2:17 - "And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams".

It's possible brother, but I've not had any visions. Nor do I know anyone who has! ;) Taking your faith seriously is the most important thing you can do, regardless of whether we are living in the last days or not! There truly is nothing sweeter than Gods love.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. Quiver

I gotta agree with that one. I consider myself a Christian but don't think it's bad to listen to such a song. It got good lyrics and it's catchy. Don't judge a product of a so called bad person. Good things can come from bad persons. There is no strict clear border between good and evil. Good and bad are always intertwined

4. @Quiver I respectfully disagree. Why would a Christian listen to a song no matter how good the lyrics are or how good the message if the person himself sang sinful songs all throughout his career? You're a good friend but I respectfully disagree.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
    Quiver likes this.
  5. Go meditate. Or pray. Or just sit there for a while and listen to silence. Whatever you do I think it's very important to get in touch with it at least once in a while. Like the Rumi said, "Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation".

Quiver likes this.
  6. AllanTheCowboy

AllanTheCowboy Fapstronaut

There is, and his name is Liam Neeson.

St. Teresa of Kolkata. FTFY

7. That's an interesting point of view Brother. I'm not sure I agree with you though, Hebrews 11:6 says "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." If the song cannot please him, it should not please us. This is because we should seek always to be like Christ, and to love what he loves, and hate what he hates.

I also believe that good and evil are polar opposites, not intertwined. Why would we be commanded to seek good, and not evil if they were in some way together. Especially since 2 Corinthians 6:14 says "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" (My bold). I don't believe the two are bound together. There will be no evil in heaven.

8. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

Why wouldn't you?
    I'm not religious
    quote-i-know-that-i-am-intelligent-because-i-know-that-i-know-nothing-socrates-67-4-0451.jpg

9. That's a hard quote to digest man. I understand what you mean, but knowing that you know nothing usually means that you remain teachable - because you know nothing. Calling people's views stupid doesn't seem super teachable to me. It sounds more like you think you've got the whole thing worked out, how else would you know if it was stupid? I hope you understand where I'm coming from :) Also, did he every say that? Anyone?

10. Just to add, most Christians accept that we don't know very much in the grand scheme of things. Instead the Bible calls us to "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding" in Proverbs 3:5. And in Proverbs 9:10 that "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding."

Any wisdom we do have is from God, and from God alone. "John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven." - John 3:27

11. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

I was a metalhead until like two years ago and I would listen to a few bands that were explicitly Satanic. I could never take Satanism seriously, though, it always looked quite polemic to me. But nevertheless, behind the nonsense devil worship (which is mostly a form of rebellion anyway, I think) I liked the attitude of self-empowerment and self-actualization that it encouraged. Especially black metal, which was mainly Satanic in its origins developed an attitude that was a lot about overcoming the boundaries of the flesh (and there you recognize the influences ancient Gnosticism has had on Satanism). Interestingly, this is the opposite of the music you are considering above, which I would just describe as dumbed down pop music.

But after starting NoFap I started to listen to less music in general as well.

Now, I just feel like sharing a song here which is still one of my favorite death metal songs, from 1990. Although the song is called "Left Hand Path" the band is not Satanic but more anti-religion. (I've said many other times before that I do believe in god, nevertheless I can enjoy their music! What I do not necessarily believe in is religion as it's made by humans: It contains truth as well as flaws.) The atmospheric guitar solo at the end of the song is unique.

My post might look a little out of place, but of course Satanic music was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the thread title. I voted "Something else" in the poll.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  12. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

Yes he did, but Socrates is known for mainly asking questions to people, hardly giving answers himself. At least that's what the "Socratic method" is about. He also didn't leave any written heritage to the afterworld, everything we know about him has been written down by others.

Solargold likes this.
  13. Quiver

I respect that. I know you're really dedicated and follow Jesus without doubts. I sometimes envy your dedication and purity. Perhaps I'm a somewhat more loose. I'm trying to find my way and I'm cool with that

That's helpful and very interesting. I sometimes detest the silence and try to fill it up with endless distractions. But when I do embrace the silence, I see that I'm actually alright and I feel really peaceful actually. This makes me think of a song I heard. It's 'Car Radio' by twenty one pilots. Beautiful simplistic lyrics

That's very interesting. Makes me think. Especially the part where you say that we should be like Jesus. Perhaps I am a bit too westernised. I noticed that the Western culture is mainly about two things. Using your ratio and limiting pain or rather, choosing fun above what is right. More and more Western people are chosing their own ratio above faith. They (including me sometimes) are overthinking and come to the conclusion that there is no real reason in life so they're giving meaning to their life. Making fun (short term/hedonistic decisions) or working on society or making a family, you name it. Do you see the contrast? Ratio <-> faith. Choosing god <-> hedonism. WWJD?

Perhaps I'm this doesn't make any sense but this all made me think.

14. It's because of all the deviant, sick stuff I did in the past that I tell myself, "I have no choice but to be good and pure." I messed up so badly in the past that I don't want to be bad anymore, that's my motivation: Not returning to my past self. It's not easy though. Look, we're both 17 years old, it's not going to be easy for us to be pure. I do have full confidence in you though that you will become pure. Just ask God for help. Find something, someone, a future goal to motivate you.

Quiver likes this.
  15. Quiver

Thanks. Will you pray for me?

16. Sure, buddy.

Quiver likes this.
  17. Themadfapper

Themadfapper Fapstronaut

I find it disturbing that most trendy music is written for a teenage audience. There is definitely, I will call it an "attack", going on with music. Whether it's something more than just evil capitalism I'm not going to speculate in this post. All this "satanic" and sex music from the 80s 90s and now I guess it's rap or whatever kids listen to? All this having youth as a target audience is disturbing. If I was marketing my own music money be damned I would not be writing my music to appeal to teens. Teens are easy to influence, subject to peer pressure and targets for brainwashing. The youth should be off limits to all these social agendas, brainwashing, marketing propaganda, etc.

From the maybe 50s I don't know when exactly so many songs were about girls, sex, romance it just gets sickening. I've heard someone theorize that song went from worshipping God to worshipping sex and women. Myself I'm not a Christian or part of a religion and I don't see classical music as worshipping God, but I am sick of how many songs are about romance or drugs.

All that being said [ my bible memory is a little rusty] didn't King David play the Harp, aren't there many references to music in the bible?

Music can be beautiful. While things can be perverted and some things sound bad, music is a wonderfully positive thing. I enjoy listening to, studying and playing music.

ivanhoe and Deleted Account like this.
  18. Thanks for that man, interesting. Thank you for sharing your comments on metal, it's not an area I had considered before - like you said, I was definitely thinking more along the pop music lines - not music that at times even refers to itself as satanic.

I see what you mean Brother. I don't know if it's being just westernised that is the problem, but in fact just being of the world. The world is obsessed with satisfying the flesh in one way or another. I totally get where you're coming from though - thanks for sharing. Great insight.
    Absolutely Brother, Just as Jesus said in Luke 7:41-43 :

"There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty. And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most? Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged."

Those of us who have sinned the most have the biggest debt of gratitude to him who saved us, even when we had nothing to offer in return.
    Wow, interesting point man! I'd never considered the fact that teenagers are the target audience before, impressionable as they are. Regardless of your beliefs: if Satan were real, and you were he, who would you choose to attack? Great point, thank you for sharing.

What you say about David is true, and the Bible is full of commands to sing god's praises. Music is absolutely an integral part of worship; In fact, the longest book of the Bible, the Psalms, could easily be considered a book of songs. Even Jesus and his disciples sang a hymn at the end of the Last Supper!

What a blessing good music can be, that's something I'm sure we can all agree on, regardless of faith. Have a blessed day all.

19. yes he played the harp and many of the 'psalms' are songs...

singing and chanting have been an essential part of worship since the beginning.

Music is a very powerful force, for good or bad...

Bawdy ballads have always existed, but seems that pop music since the 50s went from 'romantic' to a very negative nihilistic message -the worst sort of thing for teenagers to be absorbing.

As for being 'satanic' don't know about that but many of the heavy metal guys and I think some other 60s/70s british rock bands were fascinated with the 'work' of Alistair Crowley who literally was satanic.

20. AllanTheCowboy

AllanTheCowboy Fapstronaut

Veritas dicit!

ivanhoe likes this.