1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Satan make music?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Apr 1, 2017.

What music do you think is acceptable?

1. Only music written to honour God.

2. Any music that does not directly disrespect God.

3. Any music at all.

4. Something else.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I'm a Christian and growing up I was only allowed to Christian music only (in fact there were some Christian music I wasn't allowed to listen to because it was too 'worldly'). But now as an adult I listen to a variety of stuff and majority of it isn't Christian.

I don't like those YouTube videos that say certain artists are possessed by the devil because they use inadequate evidence to back up their cases. Like one video said that if you rewind one of Jessie J's songs you can hear the devil laughing in it, or there's the one that claims Katy Perry sold her soul to the devil because she said so in an interview (but if you watch the interview it's obvious she joking). Personally I think such videos are dumb and it's a shame that Christians take them seriously. I mean they even do such videos on Christian artists as well. Some of them claim that the likes of Kirk Franklin and Lecrae are a part of the Illuminati.

I think at the end of the day people are complicated, within our lives there's darkness and light plus some grey areas. These singers are complicated people too who have darkness, light and grey and they sing about such things.

Now don't get me wrong I'm aware there's some singers who write and perform songs just so can make a lot of money. I'm not against singers who are earning a living from their music. But I don't like songs that have no heart in them. Singers who have songs only to make money aren't artists, true artists reveal their soul in their songs. And if an artist reveals their soul there will be darkness and light plus some grey.

I think it should be said that it's not just secular singers who are motivated by money. Christian singers can be too. If you write a few songs that are sung in churches throughout the world you can become very wealthy. John Mark McMillan just wrote one song that became a hit with churches and royalties from that song alone gave him enough to prevent him from ever going through hard times financially. And that was just one song! If a songwriter has 10 or 20 songs with the same success they could become a millionaire. I once heard from someone who's worked in the Christian music industry that the likes of Matt Redman and Stuart Townend are millionaires. I don't know how true that is but if it's true I have no problem with it. Both are great songwriters and musicians. I'm not against Christians who sing becoming wealthy. But we shouldn't think that all Christian artists are innocent. I think it's highly unlikely that all Christian singers aren't thinking about $$$ when they write. We should remember that majority of Christian music owned by Sony Music and at the end of the day those in charge of it want to make money. It doesn't matter to them if their singers are fake and don't really mean what they're singing. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying all worship leaders are insincere but I doubt all of them are genuine.

There was an interesting interview with John Mark McMillan on the Bad Christian podcast. In it John Mark talks about what the Christian music industry is really like. I'll post the video below. The interview starts at 33.33. If you've never heard the Bad Christian podcast I should warn you that the guys there aren't afraid to swear during the show. So if words like f**k and s**t offend you, you may not want to watch it. But still it's an interesting interview.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2017
    Solargold and Whackless like this.
  2. If you have the time it's really a great talk regarding the influence of music.

Also theologically Satan is unable to create anything real. He can influence and lie, but he cannot create.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Satan doesn't exist in the first place.

Whackless and MJ93 like this.
  4. False.

Whackless likes this.
  5. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Truth

Whackless likes this.
  6. False. I could play this game all day. In the Garden of Eden, the serpent who deceived Adam and Eve, was the Devil.

Whackless likes this.
  7. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Why are you quoting fairytales? That doesnt help your case.

Fap_Doc, Whackless and MJ93 like this.
  8. Ok Mr atheist. When God returns and you're not saved, you'll see. Convo over.

Whackless likes this.
  9. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Better pray that I see the light before it's too late for me. Lol

Whackless likes this.
  10. This is no joke, though. God is coming soon, the world is ending. The end time Revelations are coming to past.

Solargold, Whackless and SMK like this.
  11. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Cool story bro.

Whackless and MJ93 like this.
  12. BoiledEggplant

BoiledEggplant Fapstronaut

I've been into Satanic music for a long time and even dabbled into the occult. This may annoy a lot of you, but it is important for a good mental equilibrium to listen to opposites and check them out.
    All fear in this case will be nothing more than paranoia, and you may discover worldviews that you didn't see exist when you only listened to Christian music.
    I'm not saying you should go listen to satanic music, but don't be scared and insulted because you'll be laughed at by those outside your religious communities.

Deleted Account and Whackless like this.
  13. BoiledEggplant

I guess when you're far down the rabbit hole and cannot think outside the mental circumference imposed by your religious community, then it's natural you'll find it hard to listen to music that does not abide by your community's standards.
    I know a lot of pious Christians who do not necessarily need their music to remind them of Christ the whole time, and I know a lot of Christians who over-indulge in Christian music only to engage in promiscuous sex and drugs on the weekends.

14. Christians are already laughed at.

15. BoiledEggplant

Like any belief system on earth. Nothing can escape criticism.

16. Yeah but it's gonna get worse for Christians as this world becomes more and more anti Christian everyday. Pretty soon Christians are going to face persecution on a larger scale.

Solargold likes this.
  17. BoiledEggplant

With the attitudes of Evangelicals and extreme protestants in the USA? That's a fact and a sign that strong biblical approaches to everything will not do a good cause to the religion.

Whackless likes this.
  18. So as a Christian I'm not supposed to follow God's word?
    Let's just end this conversation, I don't want to have a meaningless debate, where time is wasted debating for hours.

Solargold and Whackless like this.
  19. ZoneR

ZoneR New Fapstronaut

Well, I am not christian but in my religion any kind of music is not appreciated. There are exceptions when it is allowed. Like in a marriage ceremony, on the festive day etc. Yeah I do thing that musics (well most of them) are a work of evil.

Whackless likes this.
  20. BoiledEggplant

I specifically meant to the outsider not the pious individuals. As a Christian you have the God given right to celebrate your religion in whichever way works for you, but do not expect with the existence of postmodernity and modern liberalism to experience a societal euphoria like several decades back. Anyway yeah, there isn't a point to the discussion and I'm just rambling as well.

Whackless likes this.